Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

No ac3 passthrough, only Stereo sound - Sony Android TV KDL-50W807C!

Hello friends, I`m new here!

I hope you can help me.

I bought a Sony KDL-50W807C Android TV and installed the latest version of Android (Marshmallow) and Plex Media Player.

All my movies are on a QNAP TS-421 NAS where I installes Plex Media Server successfully. I can open plex and have also access to all my movies. But when I play back a movie with Dolby Digital ac3 5.1 sound, my Receiver (Pioneer VSX-817) for a half a second switches to Dolby Digital and turns back to stereo. Passtrough on TV and Plex is enabled (TV is set to "auto 1" and Plex to passtrough "auto").

When I play back the same movie with the pre-installed video player it works, as it should be, with the ac3 5.1 sound. Also my Apple TV 3 doesn`t have any problems with the ac3 5.1 sound.

Because Plex has more possibilities I don`t want to use the pre-installed video player.

Is this sound problem a known Plex or Sony issiue or are there any hidden settings I forgot?

Im sorry for my bad English, its not my mother tongue! :smile:

Thynk you very much for your help in advance!

Yeti

Answers

• n.aeschlimannn.aeschlimann Posts: 12 Plex Pass

Hello,

You are not alone. I bought a Sony 65SD8505 and I have a Playbar and the Plex client on the Sony is not outputting DD5.1. Only Stereo.

I think this is a Sony issue. I tried with the Nvidia Shield and after a few modification in the Shield options, I've been able to output 5.1 to my Playbar.

Plex and Sony are totally aware of this issue but no one is trying to fix this.

• kharrkharr Posts: 1

Hi there,

I have the same issue, so I have to use my blu-ray player as a workaround ... I'd really love this issue to be fixed. It looks like to be a codec issue (licensing maybe ?).

Regards.