If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

docker restart not updating PMS

chaosrosechaosrose Posts: 15Members ✭✭

Hello, I've noticed that PMS inside the docker container is not updating itself properly and perhaps seems to be downloading an older version.
I've tried to restart the PMS container, remove the container and then create the container and even remove the docker image and download it.
I've looked through your github repository(https://github.com/plexinc/pms-docker) and can't exactly pinpoint where the problem lies, any help would be nice or allow others to report issues on the github repository, which would be even better.

My docker run + create command;

docker run -d --name plex \
-e PLEX_CLAIM="<my-claim" \
-e ADVERTISE_IP="<ipaddress>" \
-h <friendly name> \
-e TZ="Europe/Amsterdam" \
-v <folder>:/config \
-v <folder>:/transcode \
-v <folder>:/data \
-p 32400:32400/tcp \
-p 3005:3005/tcp \
-p 8324:8324/tcp \
-p 32469:32469/tcp \
-p 1900:1900/udp \
-p 32410:32410/udp \
-p 32412:32412/udp \
-p 32413:32413/udp \
-p 32414:32414/udp \
plexinc/pms-docker:latest
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

  • CingleMoltCingleMolt Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I think this is an open question that I haven't seen addressed. Is it expected that PMS will update itself to the latest version when the container starts up? Right now I get the "A Plex Media Server update is available!" flag after starting the container and connecting with the web app.

  • CingleMoltCingleMolt Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Answered my own question at https://github.com/plexinc/pms-docker#tags

    _In addition to the standard version and latest tags, two other tags exist: plexpass and public. These two images behave differently than your typical containers. These two images do not have any Plex Media Server binary installed. Instead, when these containers are run, they will perform an update check and fetch the latest version, install it, and then continue execution. They also run the update check whenever the container is restarted. To update the version in the container, simply stop the container and start container again when you have a network connection. The startup script will automatically fetch the appropriate version and install it before starting the Plex Media Server.

    The public restricts this check to public versions only where as plexpass will fetch Plex Pass versions. If the server is not logged in or you do not have Plex Pass on your account, the plexpass tagged images will be restricted to publicly available versions only._

  • gbooker02gbooker02 Posts: 605Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
  • chaosrosechaosrose Posts: 15Members ✭✭

    I have restarted the container and expected the behaviour where it would either check for the latest version or always download the latest PMS from the server.
    The latter is something that is for example done in docker containers like linuxserver/plex.
    From what I've read in the other post is that the docker image tag plexpass is working properly even if you do not have plexpass.
    Personally I would expect that the tag latest would at least behave the same and update/redownload PMS when the docker container is either recreated or restarted.

    I will try it out later on today when I get back from work with the tag 'plexpass' , to see if this solves the update on restart issue for me.

  • gbooker02gbooker02 Posts: 605Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    @chaosrose said:
    Personally I would expect that the tag latest would at least behave the same and update/redownload PMS when the docker container is either recreated or restarted.

    This is completely contrary to how docker containers are supposed to work! A docker container should not change the binaries within at all. Update is supposed to be done through removing the container and recreating it. As such, the latest tag points to the most recent tagged version, which is the expected behavior. Simply restarting the container is not a removal of the container and recreation. As such this does not upgrade anything.

    Now, some have wanted the upgrade behavior within the container so we have the public and plexpass tags which blatantly violate the docker container's expected behavior and perform upgrading of the binaries within. This document explains this in more detail: https://github.com/plexinc/pms-docker#tags

    P.S. We discussed this behavior with the linuxserver.io folk before the container was ever released. The above behavior follows with their suggestions.

  • taddeusztaddeusz Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I'm on unRAID and having the issue of it not updating. I see on Docker Hub that there is a new version available. When I check for updates I get nothing. If I remove and reinstall I get the previous version. If I add the ":latest" tag to the repository I still just get the previous version. Why am I not getting the latest version?

  • chaosrosechaosrose Posts: 15Members ✭✭

    TL;DR
    Should use the tag "public" or "plexpass" and not latest if I wish to have updates on restarting the container.
    More details; https://github.com/plexinc/pms-docker#tags (read it carefully unlike I did at first.)

    Full message

    @taddeusz said:
    If I remove and reinstall I get the previous version. If I add the ":latest" tag to the repository I still just get the previous version. Why am I not getting the latest version?

    This is exactly what I've experiencing as well.

    @gbooker02 said:
    This is completely contrary to how docker containers are supposed to work! A docker container should not change the binaries within at all. Update is supposed to be done through removing the container and recreating it. As such, the latest tag points to the most recent tagged version, which is the expected behavior. Simply restarting the container is not a removal of the container and recreation. As such this does not upgrade anything.

    I do know that a docker container is a static snapshot with specific configurations and binaries within. The reason why I said expect is because I already suspected that you had communicated with linuxserver.io. The container which I used, which was a snapshot from them from around Christmas, worked that like that and I expected about the same behaviour from the ":latest" tag as well.

    @gbooker02 said:
    Now, some have wanted the upgrade behavior within the container so we have the public and plexpass tags which blatantly violate the docker container's expected behavior and perform upgrading of the binaries within.

    I should've read that more carefully.

    I'd still like to add that I removed the entire downloaded docker image to verify how your image worked; ergo I had to update the image as well for the PMS update, which is within the expected behaviour of Docker.
    This however, does not, as stated by taddeusz, work. (Which is a subject which I can agree on is not something that should be discussed in this topic due to the name of and nature of this topic.)

    Anyhow, as stated above, I should've read the whole read.me more carefully.
    Thanks for your assistance, patience and above all, quick replies.

  • swonglerswongler Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I am also using the official plex docker and used the "plexpass" variable tag instead of the "latest" tag, and I can only get Version 1.4.4.3495. I am at least a full update behind for over a week, and I can't seem to get the docker to update plex. Also using Unraid. Any ideas on why this hasn't updated?

  • swonglerswongler Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @Leifgg said:

    @swongler said:
    I am also using the official plex docker and used the "plexpass" variable tag instead of the "latest" tag, and I can only get Version 1.4.4.3495. I am at least a full update behind for over a week, and I can't seem to get the docker to update plex. Also using Unraid. Any ideas on why this hasn't updated?

    Make sure to set Repository: plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass

    That did it! Thank you!

  • randyklein99randyklein99 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @gbooker02 said:

    @chaosrose said:
    Personally I would expect that the tag latest would at least behave the same and update/redownload PMS when the docker container is either recreated or restarted.

    This is completely contrary to how docker containers are supposed to work! A docker container should not change the binaries within at all. Update is supposed to be done through removing the container and recreating it. As such, the latest tag points to the most recent tagged version, which is the expected behavior. Simply restarting the container is not a removal of the container and recreation. As such this does not upgrade anything.

    Now, some have wanted the upgrade behavior within the container so we have the public and plexpass tags which blatantly violate the docker container's expected behavior and perform upgrading of the binaries within. This document explains this in more detail: https://github.com/plexinc/pms-docker#tags

    P.S. We discussed this behavior with the linuxserver.io folk before the container was ever released. The above behavior follows with their suggestions.

    I'm trying to understand what is triggering Docker to grab the updated image when I issue the docker restart command. What is it about the plexpass tag that tells Docker to do this? What is about a latest tag that doesn't do this?

  • tomorrowsmantomorrowsman Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @chaosrose said:

    ...

    My docker run + create command;

    ...

    For us n00bs, where do I put/add/type this?

Sign In or Register to comment.