If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

URGENT: Critical Showstopper (Literally) Bugs after recent update

zacclzaccl Posts: 46Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited March 10 in NVIDIA SHIELD
  1. After the recent PMS update on shield, playback is now erratic and it shows "connection is not fast enough". I didnt change any of my hardware parameters and everything was working beautifully prior.

2. Playback also suddenly stops with the server failing mid-way during videos.

Best Answers

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,869Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Accepted Answer

Update - Thanks to @zaccl for providing me a log, I think I've finally identified the bug. I'm able to reliably reproduce this issue now and I've passed along my findings to the devs. To be clear that bug I've found is when the video is transcoded and using a subtitle, after a set amount of time, the video freezes and the "connection is not fast enough" message appears. If you let it sit, after a few minutes it will play for 1-2 seconds then freeze again. This is while using the Shield client connected to Shield PMS.

If this is not the exact symptom you see, then it's something else. Please start a new topic with full details and logs and ping me so I can take a look.

Answers

• mediaworldmediaworld Posts: 20Members ✭✭

You're not the only one. This is a critical bug, REALLY hope it gets fixed soon.

• Benedikt.Benedikt. Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I can also confirm that since the update to PMS 1.4.3 the playback stutters every few minutes and eventually fails with an error "connection is not fast enough".
    A fast fix would be called for considering there is no way to rollback on the Shield.

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,224Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Benedikt. said:
    I can also confirm that since the update to PMS 1.4.3 the playback stutters every few minutes and eventually fails with an error "connection is not fast enough".
    A fast fix would be called for considering there is no way to rollback on the Shield.

sideload a older apk...

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

• Benedikt.Benedikt. Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@danjames92 said:

@Benedikt. said:

sideload a older apk...

Sure, you have trustworthy source?
    As I can guess your answer, no I do not consider apkmirror and co trustworthy.
    And since I somehow can't get the APK Downloader to work as browser extension properly, the only way would be that Plex Inc. posts the apk.
    But we all know that is not going to happen as long as PMS is tied to the Shield TV Android device.
    Second, with the introduction of DVR in the main release the format of the sqlite tables have changed.
    Even though the changes seem to be minor, I do not like to risk the database, even though I'm rooted and could restore it.

• Olivier.75Olivier.75 Posts: 61Members ✭✭

Same here...

Also, files that used to work without transcoding now fail to play directly and plex is forced into transcoding them?!

• jjrjr1jjrjr1 Posts: 1,714Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Man o Man..
    PMS reliability and performance has decreased inversely to the minor release levels of PMS v 1.4.x
    I really think it's related to some changes in the MDE causing the failures.

This sort of things are being reported all over the place.
    Plex is largely just ignoring the issue all together.
    http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/260979/mde-error-it-seems-strange-behavior-for-files-that-should-direct-play#latest

This all is gonna come back to bite them...

• niallobrniallobr Posts: 136Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Glad I checked here before updating :o

Should this release not be pulled if it contains major bugs? I thought that was only expected with Plex Pass updates.

PMS: Nvidia SHIELD TV / Synology DS1513+

Client: Shield TV / Xbox One S

Remote: Logitech Harmony Elite

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,869Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@zaccl said:
    1. After the recent PMS update on shield, playback is now erratic and it shows "connection is not fast enough". I didnt change any of my hardware parameters and everything was working beautifully prior.

1. Playback also suddenly stops with the server failing mid-way during videos.

1 - That is a generic error just meaning the client is not getting the stream fast enough. This could be caused by PMS not transcoding fast enough, PMS not being able to read the file fast enough, network transmission issues, or the client being busy and not processing the received stream in time.

2 - Have you checked the amount of free space on your Shield's internal storage? PMS needs to store the transcoded file there. I have seen playback stop if the storage gets full. Once the video stops, the storage is cleared and the next video will work until it gets full again and you get this cycle.

Please recreate the issue, then provide the PMS logs for me to investigate.

• cstacsta Posts: 83Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am having the exact same issues here...Last update has completely broke PMS on Nvidia Shield TV as no video file will buffer meaning the very second i select a movie to play it refuses to buffer or play giving me the same error message...glad to hear am not the only one here as i have this happening on both of my Nvidia Shield TV PMS and neither are working atm due to the latest update causing these issues...please fix this asap!!!

• avdvorstavdvorst Posts: 67Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 6

Same issue here, wasn't there on the 1.3.x versions. For me, playback always stops after 3 minutes with the "connection is not fast enough" message. Back, resume and we're back for another 3 minutes immediately. Was working fine before, please fix.

Logs downloaded and PM-ed!

• Olivier.75Olivier.75 Posts: 61Members ✭✭

Ok, so how do I revert to an older version? Since the current version makes it unusable for me

• oakaroakar Posts: 9Members ✭✭

Thought i pushed some wrong buttons or something. Same thing happens to me. Seems that Plex needs to transcode the sound. Worked before update...

Can we Please have an update on when this will be fixed?...The last update broke the PMS functionality and nothing works now...this update should be pulled asap!...also Plex Pass Subscribers should be refunded as this has been broken for well more than a week now...

• DFM725DFM725 Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Try using use the Plex Add-on in Kodi. If that doesn't work then...

Go to Settings---> Apps--->PMS--->Uninstall Updates

@Dfm725@gmail.com said:
    Try using use the Plex Add-on in Kodi. If that doesn't work then...

Go to Settings---> Apps--->PMS--->Uninstall Updates

I've already tried using various different Plex players on various devices and nothing works it's the same issues that are at fault here...PMS is currently broken since the last update released via the Google Play Store...Uninstalling Updates resets everything back to version 1.0 which is unacceptable... Plex fix your crap or start issuing Users refunds for Plex Passes cause this is unacceptable!...

• rouqrouq Posts: 287Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 8

I ran into this issue also. When it's "Direct play", there is not issue. But if transcoding is required, than I got exactly the problem. Playback stop after few minutes with message "your server is not fast enough".

I forced transcoding in advance settings and I tried this:
    -720p HEVC without subtitles. The playback did not stop.
    -1080p HEVC without subtitles. Playback stop after few minutes with message your server is not fast enough.

I did not look at the server logs, but I would expect this level of performance when the transcoding is done by the CPU instead of the GPU.

It's not a problem of space. I have the pro version and I have 450GB of free space.

We are still looking into the issue. I have a few logs I need to go through but so far there has not been anything to point to the problem. The best way to help get this solved is to keep providing logs.

This happens to me regardless if it's transcoding or directplay...i've uploaded my logs and done everyone asked of me...Plex get your **** in gear and revert this update!!!

• zacclzaccl Posts: 46Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 9

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    We are still looking into the issue. I have a few logs I need to go through but so far there has not been anything to point to the problem. The best way to help get this solved is to keep providing logs.

Since this breaks the core functionality, could you please get them to consider a rollback to the last stable fork? I'm in software testing myself and I know how much it is a pain nailing these regressive bugs at times.

Many of us are your loyal plex pass customers too... we're not freeloaders buddy

@csta said:
    This happens to me regardless if it's transcoding or directplay...i've uploaded my logs and done everyone asked of me...Plex get your **** in gear and revert this update!!!

Can you point me to the logs? I don't see them. If you are referring to the online debugging logs, that should only be used if you are working directly with a dev and they specifically ask you to do it. Otherwise, they get lost in a sea of logs.

@zaccl said:
    Since this breaks the core functionality, could you please get them to consider a rollback to the last stable fork? I'm in software testing myself and I know how much it is a pain nailing these regressive bugs at times.

Many of us are your loyal plex pass customers too... we're not freeloaders buddy

I understand this is frustrating. However, many users are not experiencing this issue. And we are not able to reproduce the issue in our testing so we would be hesitant to roll back the server.