If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Extremely slow menu navigation

devdev Posts: 98Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited March 2017 in OpenPHT

Hey guys, i reinstalled OS X El Cap last week on my 2007 iMac and installed the latest version of openpht. Movies play just fine but navigating in the menu is extremely slow. Talking about like 5-10FPS slow. When going up/down in the menu, even the background images change in slow mo. Deleted and cleaned thoroughly, reinstalled, still the same problem.. Works just fine in Win 7..
Any ideas? Is there more info i can provide?
Thanks in advance.

Answers

• devdev Posts: 98Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

nobody? it's frustrating :(

• Kyle VerryKyle Verry Posts: 425Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My issue, which is similar, is that the Mac resources seem to be taking up more and making it hard to navigate. I do "Optimize Library" which used to take about 20 seconds or so and then everything was a dream, but recently, I no longer get the green toast notification indicating it has optimized. A rad Plex employee, MovieFan, indicated the optimizing still worked, but I too still get slow downs on the server. Mine was after a Sierra update. I even did a fresh OS install, and simply moved over the Plex database files per the migration notes, and while everything worked perfectly, I am still seeing the occasional slow downs.

Server: MacMini (Late 2012); 2.3 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, SSD
    Storage: 2 x Terramaster; 5 x 8TB Seagate Drives, 2 8TB RAID 1 (16TB)
    Network: Full Unifi Network (3 switches, 2 AP-HDs, USG), Frontier FiOS 100MB/110MB
    Plex Users: 15 users; United States, El Salvador, Spain
    Devices: Mostly Android (20+ devices) and a few iOS products, 9 Chromecasts, 2 Shields, and some Chrome access

@Kyle Verry said:
    My issue, which is similar, is that the Mac resources seem to be taking up more and making it hard to navigate. I do "Optimize Library" which used to take about 20 seconds or so and then everything was a dream, but recently, I no longer get the green toast notification indicating it has optimized. A rad Plex employee, MovieFan, indicated the optimizing still worked, but I too still get slow downs on the server. Mine was after a Sierra update. I even did a fresh OS install, and simply moved over the Plex database files per the migration notes, and while everything worked perfectly, I am still seeing the occasional slow downs.

well this mac is just a player, the server is a windows 7 dedicated server connected to a tv (funny thing, openpht is flawless there)
    kodi works fine, pmp is fine. openpht navigation is in slow motion. weird.

• Kyle VerryKyle Verry Posts: 425Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Whoops. Yeah, my Mac is the server, and 100% of the clients are sluggish and unbearable.

Server: MacMini (Late 2012); 2.3 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, SSD
    Storage: 2 x Terramaster; 5 x 8TB Seagate Drives, 2 8TB RAID 1 (16TB)
    Network: Full Unifi Network (3 switches, 2 AP-HDs, USG), Frontier FiOS 100MB/110MB
    Plex Users: 15 users; United States, El Salvador, Spain
    Devices: Mostly Android (20+ devices) and a few iOS products, 9 Chromecasts, 2 Shields, and some Chrome access

• Andrew GoodallAndrew Goodall Posts: 1Members

was there any solution to this? I just upgraded my server from OS Yosemite to Sierra and now my Plex menus are unbearably slow on all clients.

• GoodallGoodall Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

was there any solution to this? I just upgraded my server from OS Yosemite to Sierra and now my Plex menus are unbearably slow on all clients.

@Goodall said:

Yeap. It was an app, don’t remember the name, similar to “shades” that let you extend the minimal brightness (2007 iMac had a super bright screen)