Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Still broken (again): streaming DLNA Sony TV with Plex v1.5.7.4016

Gaëtan van der LaanGaëtan van der Laan Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited June 23 in DLNA

As the title says, DLNA streaming is broken again for Sony TV's with Plex v1.4.3.3433.

Anyone having the same issues? Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Answers

• clabbebclabbeb Posts: 1Members

Same problem. Any suggestions?

• anankeananke Posts: 88Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Judging from the track history, I have little hopes this will ever be addressed. This issue has been continuously ignored by the developers.

Considering it is in fact a regression bug, one can draw conclusions about the Q&A process, and overall quality of the code.

• Gaëtan van der LaanGaëtan van der Laan Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Bump.

@Plex, it has been two months already and there's still no update for Plex Media Server with a solution for this problem. Does DLNA users not have that much priority? Waiting desperately for an update.

• t2pierret2pierre Posts: 57Members Plex Pass
    edited May 12

+1
    @Plex, still broken with 1.5.5.3634

• Andrew and IngridAndrew and Ingrid Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1
    Was fixed (1.3.3.3148 I think) sometime but now broken for some months. Just updated to v1.6.1.3722 and still broken. Where do you find prior builds and revision history these days?
    WEF (wife enjoyment factor) is significantly impacted as she cannot watch her shows on SONY 2009 Bravia in bed!

+1
    @Plex Main , still broken with 1.7.1.3856

Here is a workaround.
    1/ You have to change the renderer name on your Sony TV. Can be done in setup/network/...instead of KDL-xxx you have to added a P to have KDLP-xxx. This change is required to use a specific profile
    2/ Use the specific profile (file in attachment). Copy this file in ~/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Profiles. The specific profile will override the plex standard profile for sony 2011 TV because of the renderer name change you made in 1/.
    3/ Restart the plex media server and you're done.

@plex: you should integrate this profile as the default one in the plex media server package

• extrawingextrawing Posts: 9Members ✭✭

t2pierre, thank you for the idea.
    Tried to do similar things (my plex server is on QNAP NAS x64), but for Sony Bravia 2012: it didn't help me :(
    Per plex logs:

• the modified profile itself is used by Plex for transcoding;
    • transcoding seems started;
    • finally: "handleStreamWrite code 32: Broken pipe"
      It seems the TV rejects that resulting stream...

Some time ago I compared old Sony Bravia 2012 profile (extracted from old but workable plex server version) with a fresh one (but not workable) - those profiles were equal.
    I believe that Plex devs has broken some compatibility, or even introduced one more bug in their software.
    Have no idea why they (Plex dev team) don't want to investigate/fix this issue: there are so many guys here, who ready to assist them with testing, I believe...

• KydixKydix Posts: 5Members ✭✭

@t2pierre said:
    Here is a workaround.
    1/ You have to change the renderer name on your Sony TV. Can be done in setup/network/...instead of KDL-xxx you have to added a P to have KDLP-xxx. This change is required to use a specific profile
    2/ Use the specific profile (file in attachment). Copy this file in ~/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Profiles. The specific profile will override the plex standard profile for sony 2011 TV because of the renderer name change you made in 1/.
    3/ Restart the plex media server and you're done.

@plex: you should integrate this profile as the default one in the plex media server package

don't work for me ... the file start to play but after few seconds, stop playing :(

Could you post your dlna log file?

• kgvelkovkgvelkov Posts: 4Members ✭✭

It seems that the problem is fixed in version 1.5.6.3790 (I was trying out Pierre's way, but logs show that it's using the default profile, works without a hitch). TV is KDL-48EX720

edited June 22

The issue with Sony Bravia 2012 (KDL-55HX853) is still not fixed (PlexMediaServer 1.5.7.4016 for QNAP x64)... :(

• fernandoazafernandoaza Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Version 1.5.6.3790 it's working for me

Sony KDL-32EX721

• Gaëtan van der LaanGaëtan van der Laan Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 23

Well, I'm glad many of you came to this topic. Unfortunately I'm still facing problems with my Sony Bravia (KDL-32EX711). Just updated Plex Media Server to v1.5.7.4016 (Windows), still no solution. The mentioned possible fixes above are not working for me neither.

For your information: starting media is possible, I can see the loading circle, but then it hangs. In the status screen (events) I can see it's trying to start "X started to play X on Sony Bravia 2010", but nothing happens. Same problem as @Kydix.

@Plex, can you engineers please take a look into this? Many people are still having trouble with DLNA on (older) Sony Bravia's.

EDIT: updated topic title and tags with recent update (1.5.7.4016).

• anankeananke Posts: 88Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It's been broken for ages, see https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/247877/broken-dlna-service-since-1-1-4-when-will-it-be-fixed-tons-of-people-have-problems#latest

The nasty part is that the last fully working version is 1.1.4, which is not something that can be deployed now, unless you have backup of the previous installation with codecs.

• KydixKydix Posts: 5Members ✭✭

@t2pierre said:
    Could you post your dlna log file?

Can you tell me where can i find the log please ?

• _alexander_@mail.ru_alexander_@mail.ru Posts: 3Members

Happened. Only it was necessary to rename "Sony Bravia 2011 Pierre.xml" in "Sony Bravia 2011.xml". Without renaming it did not work. And in the logs I did not find "..Pierre".
    In general, it works! Thanks, t2pierre!

PS: Sony KDL-46EX720, nas4free, plex 1.7.5.4035.
    Prior to this, with each new version of plex, we had to roll back to 1.1.4, because Dlna did not work with my sony.
    PS2: On FreeBSD, the path to the profiles is: /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Resources/Profiles

It would be great to have something similar for Sony Bravia 2012 too...

• megaNASmegaNAS Posts: 1Members

alexander@mail.ru said:
    Happened. Only it was necessary to rename "Sony Bravia 2011 Pierre.xml" in "Sony Bravia 2011.xml". Without renaming it did not work. And in the logs I did not find "..Pierre".
    In general, it works! Thanks, t2pierre!

PS: Sony KDL-46EX720, nas4free, plex 1.7.5.4035.
    Prior to this, with each new version of plex, we had to roll back to 1.1.4, because Dlna did not work with my sony.
    PS2: On FreeBSD, the path to the profiles is: /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Resources/Profiles

Hello,

Would anyone know how to deploy this xml onto a synology nas running dsm 5.0?

&e