Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Videos are buffering when reaching the last 5 minutes

robinthebirdrobinthebird Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass
edited March 5 in Apple TV

Hello,

Here is my setup :
Plex media server (1.4.3.3433) running on a Synology 915+
I play my video on an apple TV 4.

For example if I watch a video which is about 40 minutes long, I can watch the video 35 minutes without failure or buffering...
And every time I reach those last 5 minutes, the videos stops every 10-15 seconds and the video is buffering... Once this done 5-6 times in a row, the plex media player (or server) skip the videos and plays the next, or stop it eventually.

The logs are attached.

Thanks a lot

Tagged:

Best Answer

• robinthebirdrobinthebird Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

I have found the problem.
    The videos were always transcoded even if I streamed in original quality. Causing my NAS to be at 95% CPU...
    The framerate or even the quality of the videos couldn't be the problem, since I tested all my equipments wired. So I researched some topics and I found that Plex was transcoding because of the audio and not because of the quality.
    I perfected my settings (I must have touched something in the past) by disabling the "Prefer audio in AAC" and by enabling the "Stream Direct" parameters in Settings > Web > Reader.
    Thank you for helping me, thanks to your ideas I was able to rethink and solve my issue

Answers

• ValdhorValdhor Members, Plex Pass Posts: 502 Plex Pass

Does any kind of credit appear at that point in the video? Or does the framerate change? Does the server start to transcode at that point? It looks like your PMS is not fast enough to transcode the video. Have you tried pre transcoding the video with something like Handbrake?

Does any kind of credit appear at that point in the video? No
    Or does the framerate change? The framerate and quality stay the same
    Does the server start to transcode at that point? How can I see it ?
    Have you tried pre transcoding the video with something like Handbrake? Will do

I have pre transcode the videos the same video twice, one with 4mbs 720p, and one with 2Mbs 720p

• ValdhorValdhor Members, Plex Pass Posts: 502 Plex Pass

No idea. It doesn't happen to me. Perhaps the video's themselves are corrupt in some way.

Try appending a second video on the end. Does it stop in the same place every time? Then that's a video problem. Does it stop 5 minutes from the end of the extended video? That is probably a Plex problem.

Accepted Answer

I have found the problem.
    The videos were always transcoded even if I streamed in original quality. Causing my NAS to be at 95% CPU...
    The framerate or even the quality of the videos couldn't be the problem, since I tested all my equipments wired. So I researched some topics and I found that Plex was transcoding because of the audio and not because of the quality.
    I perfected my settings (I must have touched something in the past) by disabling the "Prefer audio in AAC" and by enabling the "Stream Direct" parameters in Settings > Web > Reader.
    Thank you for helping me, thanks to your ideas I was able to rethink and solve my issue

• greenogreeno Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

I’m having a very similar problem on the Apple TV from a Mac server. Any ideas?

• GForce10GForce10 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 119 Plex Pass

Usually I had the problem if I was super low on disk space.

Build the Awesome Automated Plex Server (with Docker)
    a. Install Plex, PlexPy, Ombi, Docker, Portainer, Wordpress, MariaDB, SABNZBD, Couch & Sonnar
    b. Uses PlexDrive to prevent API Bans / RClone for Uploads / w Unlimited Google Stroage

Github Project: https://github.com/Admin9705/The-Awesome-Plex-Server/