Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Video playback judder with fast motion

JL94x4JL94x4 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass

Hi all.

Yesterday I bought a raspberry pi 3 b model with a class 10 sd card. I have a server at hetzner which hosts my plex server and I use Amazon cloud drive to store my files and rclone to encrypt and decrypt on playback.

However on rasplex I seem to get playback judder on fast motion scenes something which I don't get when I play the same content on my android plex app on my phone.

I have tried numerous settings in rasplex to no avail so here I am seekimg help. Thanks

Comments

• benjaminwolfbenjaminwolf Members, Plex Pass Posts: 978 Plex Pass
    edited March 6

What are the supported refresh rates of your TV the rPi3 is attached to?

• JL94x4JL94x4 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass

The TV is 60hz

• benjaminwolfbenjaminwolf Members, Plex Pass Posts: 978 Plex Pass
    edited March 21

Hey @JL94x4

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to the forum. I could write a whole book on judder (and people have.)

The judder effect basically has to do with frame rate of the content verses the refresh rate of the TV or projector displaying the content. It can also be content shot in 24P but has been converted by 3:2 pulldown. This is particularly apparent with high actions scenes shot with a hand cam, but there are many sources and only a few solutions.

Your phone will most likely be able to sync the screen refresh rate to the content, reducing the judder effect. You can make sure the following option is checked:

Preferences > Playback > Advanced Video > Sync playback to display

But depending on the content source, it may not alleviate the issue. It works by inserting extra frames into the content so the frame rate matches the refresh rate. When a TV has more than one refresh rate, 'Adjust display refresh rate' is a good option as well, as that will attempt to ask the TV to match the refresh rate of the screen to the content frame rate. As your TV only has the one, you're probably going to experience some judder.