If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Manually update Plex Docker on Freenas 10

bsguitarman357@gmail.combsguitarman357@gmail.com Posts: 2Members

I upgraded to Freenas 10, which is still in beta. I have plex installed, and working, but i was wondering if there was a way to manually update Plex to the most recent version. I tried the script that worked with the plugins from 9.10, but it didn't do anything as i expected, it was not able to fetch the updater,.

Answers

• gbooker02gbooker02 Posts: 605Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Some additional info would be helpful.

• Which container did you run (presumably from within the FN docker images repository)?
    • What version are you currently on (check the Plex web interface, not what the aforementioned repository says the version is)?
    • What version are you expecting it to but running?
  • rmanchi@gmail.comrmanchi@gmail.com Posts: 1Members

Is there a tutorial that can walk a new user through VM configuration and Plex Docker install on FreeNAS 10 Beta/RC1?

• lakkinenlakkinen Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 19

I have the same question, should this auto update on a plex docker container restart (I have tried restarting and stop and start and also reboot of freenas)?
    If not how do I manually trigger an update of plex.
    I'm using Image: freenas/plex and Version: 1.4.3.3433 (also reflected in the plex instance under server settings) and if I want to create a new plex instance I can on plex | Official Plex Media Server from Plex, Inc. | 1.4.4.3495
    So should that not mean that I can update my instance to version 1.4.4.3495 from 1.4.3.3433?

Appreciate help on this :smile:

• jasperwilljasperwill Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am in the same situation as lakkinen. running Freenas Corral 3/19 update. plex is at 1.4.3.3433 and I would like to update it to the newest versions without having to delete the current one and re-do the whole setup with the new version.
    clicking the download new version button in the web-ui, of course, just downloads the file to my desktop, not to the server running docker.

• SLCasaSLCasa Posts: 51Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Use linuxserver/plex
    Add linuxserver to collections.
    Create new container with linuxserver and select plex.
    add environment variable VERSION = latest

go to plex
    http://xxx.xxx.x.xx:32400/web/index.html
    claim server.
    Restart container. will auto download latest PMS plexpass.

FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6
    X10SRL-F
    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz
    64GB ECC DDR4 2133MHz
    32GB SATA DOM
    8x4 WD Reds RAIDZ2 - Media
    2x4 WD Reds Mirror - Grinding
    2x500GB Samsung 850 Evo Mirror - VM

• gbooker02gbooker02 Posts: 605Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@lakkinen
    freenas/plex is based on our docker container with the tag latest. The latest tag will point to the same image as one with an explicit version number which corresponds to the latest public release (currently 1.4.4). These images have the binary preinstalled and they do not update on restarting the container. This behavior (not updating) corresponds to accepted and recommended docker practice.

With this container, the accepted practice is to re-create the container with the same settings. Unfortunately in my tests, it was already at 1.4.4 so I couldn't see if the web UI presented an easy means to do this. Iff it doesn't, that's certainly a highly desirable feature request that should be made of Corral.

The freenas/plexpass is based on our docker container with the tag plexpass. This container image is not updated and does not contain the binary. This one will download and install the latest version on start. This is not the accepted docker behavior but we recognize that there is a desire for this feature which is why this container image exists. Similarly there is also the public tagged image which behaves the same but restricts itself to publicly released versions only.

• bsguitarman357@gmail.combsguitarman357@gmail.com Posts: 2Members

Sorry it took a while to get back to this. I have to same situation as lakkinen

-The official freenas/plex docker
    - running Version 1.4.3.3433
    - looking to update to 1.4.4.3495

I don't like the thought of reinstalling plex, and setting up the libraries again.

• HammerNLHammerNL Posts: 9Members ✭✭

If your /config folder is outside the plex container, you can just delete the container and recreate it, without having to setup plex again. It's not ideal, but it works for me.

It appears that you need to recreate your container using the same settings as before. Of course, you should have your /config outside of your container (again accepted docker practice is to do this). Then when you recreate it, you won't have lost any of your data.

Alternatively, you can run the freenas/plexpass image. It is an image that'll auto-update the plex binary within when you restart it. Just create it with the exact same settings as you did the freenas/plex one. If you don't have Plex Pass on your accounts (which appears to be the case), this image will still work but you will only get the public versions. It will still auto-update itself.

• brsullivanbrsullivan Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@gbooker02 said:
    It appears that you need to recreate your container using the same settings as before. Of course, you should have your /config outside of your container (again accepted docker practice is to do this). Then when you recreate it, you won't have lost any of your data.

Alternatively, you can run the freenas/plexpass image. It is an image that'll auto-update the plex binary within when you restart it. Just create it with the exact same settings as you did the freenas/plex one. If you don't have Plex Pass on your accounts (which appears to be the case), this image will still work but you will only get the public versions. It will still auto-update itself.

Holy crap, that was easy. I just restart the container and 60 seconds later I'm on the latest release! Awesome!!!!

• gamecat69gamecat69 Posts: 5Members ✭✭

Worked perfectly, thank you!

The performance in a docker container was nowhere near as good as using a FreeBSD jail though.... I had to rollback in the end :(

• papakpmartinpapakpmartin Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@gamecat69 said:
    The performance in a docker container was nowhere near as good as using a FreeBSD jail though.... I had to rollback in the end :(

FWIW, this may have to do with the VM you gave it. Performance was poor when I first installed, too, but then I deleted the default VM and created one with 4G RAM and 4 CPUs and things seemed fine for me. (The default VM was something like 1G RAM and 1 core.)

• AltoniusAltonius Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

A heads up for those who aren't aware. FreeNAS Corral has been downgraded from a STABLE release to a TECHNOLOGY PREVIEW release and may not receive any future development.

New features of FreeNAS Corral are being implemented into FreenNAS 9