Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Update: LG NetCast and TiVo and broken playback on 1.4

mattseeleymattseeley HawaiiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,324 Plex Employee

Updates

• 2016-03-16: Plex Media Server 1.4.4.3495-edef59192 has been made available to all users. All issues known to specifically address LG NetCast and TiVo Roamio and Bolt devices in previous 1.4.x builds of Plex Media Server have been addressed. Happy streaming folks.
  • 2016-03-15: Plex Media Server 1.4.4.3495-edef59192 is available now for Plex Pass users. This build contains the transcoder fix for LG NetCast televisions. This version will be made available for non Plex Pass users in about 24hrs.

As you all of figured out the 1.4 release of the media server broke direct stream and transcoded playback on LG NetCast, TiVo Roamio, and TiVo Bolt.

The 1.4 release included updates to a primary dependency of our transcoder. One of these updates broke video streams' metadata; the duration is missing. The missing duration has different side effects on the TiVo video player and the LG video player although the end result was the same. The TV app aborted playback after receiving broken information and/or missing signals from the video players. The video players in our Roku and Plex Web app in Chrome both receive the same broken information but adapt gracefully.

These are the primary threads per device:

Status

Today we pushed a workaround to the TV app, version 2.13.4, which restores playback support for only TiVo devices. There is no TV app workaround available for the LG NetCast devices. Our Media Server team has fixed the issue leading to the situation above. We'll be pushing it out as a hotfix as quickly as possible.

Retrospective

Our QA testing was performed on the non Plex Pass Media Server releases. While the problematic 1.4.x versions were only available to Plex Pass users. The issue smoldered without the dev team's knowledge until the 1.4 version was released to the general public. Then it hit the fan in a spectacular way.

Each release of the TV app goes through comprehensive testing on every platform we support. We haven't however been testing both the public and Plex Pass Media server versions. There are two obvious solutions:

• The first possible solution is to test both versions of the Media Server before each release of the TV app.
  • The second possible solution is to test all Plex supported devices before any Media Server release.

We're moving forward with the first solution. Had this process been in place we would have encountered this regression before it reached public availability. We're rightfully embarrassed and frustrated by this situation. The affected teams are aligned to avoid massive regression like this reaching the public.

I apologize for the situation. Hopefully this context is useful while perhaps unsatisfying.

Comments

• SchmillSchmill Members, Plex Pass Posts: 29 Plex Pass

Many thanks for this update.
    I, and I'm sure many others affected, welcome this informative and open response.
    I look forward to the upcoming server update.

• ckoughtckought Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Thank you very much for the fix that got rid of the "..." on the screen during playback.

However, there is still a green bar at the bottom of videos. It's only showing up when the video isn't the same dimensions as the screen - for instance, 1280x720 doesn't show the bar, but 1280x534 does show the bar. It's happening on both TiVo Roamio and Premiere (those are the only two types I have to test on), but not on Windows player.

I have:
    Plex Server version 1.4.3.3433 running on a PR4100 NAS
    TiVo Roamio Plex version 2.13.4
    TiVo Premiere Plex version 2.13.4

• nicopolousnicopolous Members, Plex Pass Posts: 113 Plex Pass

Agree with Schmill - great update thank you.

• shadowfixershadowfixer Members, Plex Pass Posts: 80 Plex Pass

@Schmill said:
    I, and I'm sure many others affected, welcome this informative and open response.

+1

• alkjonesalkjones Members, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

@Schmill said:

Indeed. +1.

Cheers
    AJ

• blacknoiblacknoi Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

I thank you and my 2 Tivos thank you!

• jfreimanjfreiman Members, Plex Pass Posts: 52 Plex Pass

Is there any chance that this fix will come to the Hardware Transcoding branch of Plex Media Server??? THIS IS KILLING ME!!! Totally unusable at home, but the HW support is helpful for family sharing on the Internet. :/
    PMS Version 1.4.0.3224
    Vizio Sigma 1.4.23-UHD

• renus01renus01 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 43 Plex Pass

Any news?

Time of Arrival?

Or we can play around a little with the matter and say:
    "What can I do now without Plex? Where do I go?"
    "To Plex or not to Plex that is the question?"

• media.pfjtechnics.nlmedia.pfjtechnics.nl Members, Plex Pass Posts: 21 Plex Pass

If you've an Chrome-cast device, you can playback through CC by smartphone, tablet or pc.
    I'm using CC now for playback till the tv app is working good again (LG TV)
    All other dives I've tested on are working fine (windows phone, android phone, windows tablet, android tablet and windows pc's) with the app and also with the web-page (server:32400/web).

With this options, waiting for the fix is not so hard for me now, I can whatch my movies and series.
    Ok it's not the way I prever, but it's working now for me.

Keep up the good work PMS team, I'm sure you'll fix this bug in a mather of time ;)

• mayer-servermayer-server Members, Plex Pass Posts: 16 Plex Pass

I would love to update my server, and better yet get back on the Plex Pass update channel. Can't wait for the TV app update.

• tompiernotompierno Members Posts: 3

New to the forum! And not using PLEX PASS.

THANK YOU for this information. I have been trying to determine the cause of the 1.4 release issue since it's onset. I thought the cause was a failure on the TV's end.

I have a question related to loading prior versions of Plex server (from the link above) until a hotfix for LG tv's in ready.

A question:

Is there a way for me to load an older version of the PLEX server software without losing the associated Plex database (metadata) pertaining to my films? I have well over 400 movies loaded into PLEX and losing that data will be painful since not all movie data is readily available and I need to manually load pictures and other information for a number of them.

If there is no means of doing this, I may have to wait for the hotfix. Any guidance is much appreciated.

PS: Love PLEX. It is the BEST!

-tp

• SchmillSchmill Members, Plex Pass Posts: 29 Plex Pass

What platform are you running on Tom?
    I'm running the Synology NAS version of the Plex server and for me it was a simple uninstall then reinstall of the older version; i cant say whether other platforms would retain the data though across that process.

• BluBlaBluBla Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I have Plex Pass, and on my LG TV (4--5 years old), some videos only play for a couple seconds, and skip through to the end of the video. The same videos work OK on Plex via iPad and Windows PC. This includes videos that have previously played OK on previous releases of Plex server.

Waiting for the update to Plex server. Currently we cannot use Plex for all videos on the LG TV.

• tompiernotompierno Members Posts: 3

@Schmill said:
    What platform are you running on Tom?
    I'm running the Synology NAS version of the Plex server and for me it was a simple uninstall then reinstall of the older version; i cant say whether other platforms would retain the data though across that process.

Thank you Schmill!
    My current configuration is: Intel I5 platform running Windows 10 N, version 1607. Since I can watch the movies on my desktop uneffected it's not the end of the world to await the hotfix, but if a back level (with metadata preservation) is easy, then I might give it a shot.

Glad I saw this forum. I was about to buy a ROKU 3 to get around the issue (which I thought might work).

• mattseeleymattseeley HawaiiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,324 Plex Employee

Update: Plex Media Server 1.4.4.3495-edef59192 is available now for Plex Pass users. This build contains the transcoder fix for LG NetCast televisions. This version will be made available for non Plex Pass users in about 24hrs.

• media.pfjtechnics.nlmedia.pfjtechnics.nl Members, Plex Pass Posts: 21 Plex Pass

@mattseeley said:
    Update: Plex Media Server 1.4.4.3495-edef59192 is available now for Plex Pass users. This build contains the transcoder fix for LG NetCast televisions. This version will be made available for non Plex Pass users in about 24hrs.

I've just updated my PMS to version 1.4.4.3495 (Windows 2012R2 x64 server)
    All my devices are playing the video's with no problems, also my LG tv's :D
    It looks like the problem with playback on LG tv's is solved.

Keep up the good work, and THNX !!!

• renus01renus01 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 43 Plex Pass

It is confirmed! It works with this latest update!

Thanks for bringing back My Plex!

Thanks for the good work!

• JonMayerJonMayer Members Posts: 1

This is great news! I just updated to latest PlexPass release

• mayer-servermayer-server Members, Plex Pass Posts: 16 Plex Pass

^oops wrong account. See I have PlexPass badge :smile:

• hulishulis Members Posts: 1

great news