Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex on android triggers Apple TV to turn on repeatedly - LOGS Uploaded from AppleTV

Danieljh75Danieljh75 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited March 10 in Apple TV

Plex Server 1.3.4.3285 (just bumped to 1.4.3.3433) running on Mac OS 10.10.5
Apple TV (A1625) 4th Gen tvOS 10.1.1 with HDMI-CEC enabled.
Apple TV Plex App 1.7 (4782)
Nexus 6 Android 7.0 running Plex App 5.6.1.505
Logging on Apple TV Enabled 20170309 @ 2128 Mountain Standard Time.
Error duplicated at 2130, 2132, and finally at 2140.

For the Engineering team: When the android device wakes from sleep, a signal is sent to the Apple TV to wake it up. This results in the HDMI-CEC to wake the TV. Sometimes every 120 seconds. Other times, not for days at a time. After the TV is woken, it displays a message that says, "Apple TV requires iOS version x.x or OSX version 10.x." This is clearly triggered from my Android phone. Last night after midnight the TV kept waking about every 120 seconds. Uninstalling the app during this cycle immediately stopped the behavior. Re-installing the app duplicated the behavior.

Turning off HDMI-CEC is not the solution. If that was the case, this behavior would be consistent across 4 other iOS devices and an Android Chromebook. It only happens with the Nexus phone and the app is usually not even running on the phone when this occurs. Play services triggering it? Additionally, I have a Chromecast. I've never had a single hiccup with that device, which also has HDMI-CEC enabled.

Timeline for the Apple TV logs:
2130: Server computer awake. Apple TV sleeping. Android phone awake and launched Plex app, but did not even login to a user on the App.
2132: Server awake, Apple TV sleeping, Android phone awake, Plex app closed, launched Google Home, which probably launched play services/Plex.
2133 - 2139: Unsuccessful. While plex server sleeping.
2140: Woke server back up and immediately the Apple TV fired up again.

Tagged:

Answers

• hellspawn69hellspawn69 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is also all of a sudden happening to me. And annoying everyone in the house when my phone Randomly triggers plex to trigger the Apple TV.
    This issue started happening in the last couple weeks.
    Motorola Droid Turbo 2

• avohns75avohns75 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the exact same problem, it was introduced with the latest firmware update on the AppleTV, there is even a hread over at discussions.apple.com where they are unsure what exactly causes the problem. It ist highly likely the problem is the missing authentication:

With tvOS 10.2, device verification is required. The first time a device connects via AirPlay, you have to enter a code displayed on the TV screen to validate the device. This prevents hackers outside the room hijacking your device. This seems to work fine on iPad and iPhone. But it's a problem for 3rd-party apps on a computer, if they haven't updated for the new functionality. In that case, the connection is refused and that message appears. It's just a message that says the connection was rejected.

So I am assuming plex is the culprit here, trying to connect via Bluetooth without being authenticated.This should be fixed ASAP as it is really annoying.

• GlynnRyanGlynnRyan Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having the same issue on my network. My LAN consists of mainly Apple Devices, with the exception of a PS4 and my Windows-based Plex Server.

My neighbour connects to my LAN via WiFi to stream from my Plex server on their LG TV in their bedroom and uses the Plex Android app to control the TV/Media selection to watch.

Since the latest AppleTV update, my AppleTV 4th Gen, connected vial Ethernet, randomly turns itself on, turning on my TV in the process, or if I'm watching someothing on my AppleTV via the Plex App, I get an error about airplay not being supported.

Do we know of any possible workaround or solution to the issue at the moment? Ideally I don't want to have to disable AirPlay on my AppleTV, since I use this from time to time.
    Is there possibly a setting to disable on the Android?

Let's hope we can get this fixed soon.

Server: Dell Optiplex 7010
    CPU: i7-3770 | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | Storage: 1x 256GB SSD, 1x 4TB HDD, 2x 1TB HDD | Users: 8, 2 Local, 6 Remote | Connection: 100Mbps Download / 50 Mbps Upload | Most Concurrent Streams: 5

Additional PMS Services:
    PlexPy | Ombi | Sonar | Radarr | Jackett

User Streaming Devices:
    2x AppleTV 4th Gen | 2x AppleTV 3rd Gen | 4x Smart TV | 3x PS4 | 1x Roku | 4x iOS | 5x MacOS | 2x Android

B)

• dontbeascrubdontbeascrub Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having the same issue. It finally got so annoying I keep the apple tv unplugged when not in use. Would love to see a speedy resolution!

• konradjkonradj Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having the same issue. S7 Edge - Plex 5.8.075 on Android.

• jakob@hviidnet.comjakob@hviidnet.com Posts: 35Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 27

Having the same problem on a Samsung Galaxy S8. It is soo annoying for my wife i had to uninstall plex on my phone. :-/

I have 3 apple tv's in my home. It is annoying to walk around the house to turn them all off again.

Using the latest plex version from the android store at the date of posting.

• Madman_XMadman_X Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having the same issue on my two ATV Gen 4's. Both started powering on, seemingly randomly, after the tvOS 10.2 update. Since one of my TVs is connected via HDMI-CEC, it also turns on the TV, so I've had to disable that. However, the other ATV is not connected via HDMI-CEC to that TV and that ATV also comes on randomly. I have other Plex clients in the house, mostly IOS devices, but also 3 android tablets, and android phone and a couple of Fire Sticks. My Plex server is running on a windows server box that's on 24/7. Below is an interesting post from the apple forums (same ones mentioned up a few posts) that indicates to turn off "AirPlay Scan", but I've not been able to find that on the Plex Server or the IOS Client... haven't checked the android client yet. Any ideas?? I guess I could roll back to the earlier tvOS if that's possible, but it sounds like they've implemented a new security feature that isn't likely to change, so rollback isn't a long term viable solution.

Hello Loco. I've done a little research since your post. It seems that when tvOS 10.2 requires device verification, it breaks certain 3rd party AirPlay clients. Known culprits so far are the Plex app on Android, and Beamer on Mac computers. The Plex situation is interesting, because it makes a network scan for AirPlay devices when placed on or off charge while running in the background. When it finds Apple TV, it turns it on and triggers the Device Requirements message. You should have a look for media player apps on your devices and computers that might be doing this. If your problem is Plex, you can turn off the AirPlay scan in its System Settings.

Thx,
    MMx

• AltoniusAltonius Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 30

I did the following in the Android App to stop this happening for me:

1. Go to Settings
    2. Go to System
    3. Untick AirPlay Discovery

I'm running 5.8.0.475 - in earlier versions of the Android app the AirPlay discovery option was ticked but greyed out, so I couldn't untick it.

This stops my apple TV prompting with the Device Requirements error when my Android device is connected to Power, or when the Plex app is first opened.

CC: @jakob@hviidnet.com @konradj @dontbeascrub @GlynnRyan @avohns75 @hellspawn69

@Altonius said:
    I did the following in the Android App to stop this happening for me:

1. Go to Settings
    2. Go to System
    3. Untick AirPlay Discovery

I'm running 5.8.0.475 - in earlier versions of the Android app the AirPlay discovery option was ticked but greyed out, so I couldn't untick it.

This stops my apple TV prompting with the Device Requirements error when my Android device is connected to Power, or when the Plex app is first opened.

CC: @jakob@hviidnet.com @konradj @dontbeascrub @GlynnRyan @avohns75 @hellspawn69

I am trying this fix out today. Thanks!

Just as a note - wouldn't the consequence being airplay streaming not working?

My phone does not seem to trigger my apple tv's now. I will post back if this changes.

Thanks for det fix @Altonius

• Madman_XMadman_X Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 10

I ended up just shutting Airplay off on the ATV's. I'll wait until the next TVOS update and turn it back on to see if the problem is fixed. Or, until the Plex client apps are updated.

• Jack FarringtonJack Farrington Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've had the same issue since upgrading to tvOS 10.2. Turning off "AirPlay discovery" under Settings -> System in Plex for Android seems to have resolved the issue. Is this on the radar for a fix?