Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Please fix subtitles on android once and for all !!!

raidyneraidyne Members Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited March 10 in Android (mobile)

hello,

i still have huge problems with subtitles on android.

no matter what format (mostly srt) and what option in the app (only burn image formats) I use, the video (mkv files) always transcodes and stutters on android clients!! If I disable subtitles everything plays smoothly (direct).

It is so annoying!

Answers

• spikemixturespikemixture Members, Plex Pass Posts: 923 Plex Pass
    edited March 11

Some information is likely to help.
    What is your server and what is your client?

• raidyneraidyne Members Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited March 27

server is version 1.4.3.3433 (on debian 8)
    plex on android is version 5.6.1 (nexus 6 and nexus 10)

it works flawlessly on samsung ue55f8000 (plex community app by orca)

i'm happy to provide logs.

the relevant section should be:

DEBUG - MDE: received PLEX_PROTOCOL_ANY from client, selected protocol hls
    Mar 10, 2017 17:58:43.659 [0x7f32cf3ff700] DEBUG - MDE: analyzing media item 312970
    Mar 10, 2017 17:58:43.659 [0x7f32cf3ff700] DEBUG - MDE: Movie (2015): Direct Play is disabled
    Mar 10, 2017 17:58:43.659 [0x7f32cf3ff700] DEBUG - MDE: Movie (2015): media must be transcoded in order to use the hls protocol
    Mar 10, 2017 17:58:43.659 [0x7f32cf3ff700] DEBUG - MDE: Movie (2015): selected subtitle cannot be converted to a compatible format, burning into video stream
    Mar 10, 2017 17:58:43.659 [0x7f32cf3ff700] DEBUG - MDE: Movie (2015): avoiding video remux due to burned subtitle stream
    Mar 10, 2017 17:58:43.659 [0x7f32cf3ff700] DEBUG - MDE: Movie (2015): no remuxable profile found, so video stream will be transcoded

as everyone else experiencing problems with subtitles i tried every setting in the android app.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 14,860 Plex Employee

Plex is aware of this issue and it has to due with the video player. If the file can be direct played, the the subtitle can also be direct played. However, if the video is not direct played then it uses the HLS profile. There is a bug in the player that if using HLS and direct playing a subtitle, the subtitles go out of sync after a while. There is no fix for this currently, so the options right now are:

1 - transcode the video and burn in the subtitles so everything lines up
    2 - Let the subtitle direct play and allow the subtitles to get out of sync
    3 - not display subtitles at all

Plex has chosen to go with 1. We understand this puts more stress on your server, but feel it provides the best playback experience. We understand that users with a low powered server may have issues transcoding. Unfortunately, this is unavoidable.

• ey3balley3ball Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

@MovieFan.Plex last time I've seen you mention this issue (in: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/226761/ac3-aac-srt-external-subtitles-triggers-unnecessary-transcoding) you also said Plex was working on a fix, does your comment here ("this is unavoidable") mean there will be no fix ?

Even with a powerful server transcoding greatly reduces video quality. I'm running an nividia shield TV which can decode 4k streams, but because of this issue, everything is transcoded whenever subtitles are enabled which is a real pain. Has Plex any plan to solve the issue short / middle term ?

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 14,860 Plex Employee

We haven't found a solution so far.

edited March 20

But this is an essential feature!!

edited March 20

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    Plex is aware of this issue and it has to due with the video player. If the file can be direct played, the the subtitle can also be direct played. However, if the video is not direct played then it uses the HLS profile. There is a bug in the player that if using HLS and direct playing a subtitle, the subtitles go out of sync after a while. There is no fix for this currently, so the options right now are:

I think this is not quite true. Nearly all of my files can be direct played without subtitles on my android devices. According to your logic enabling subtitles for such (directly playable) files should also be direct playable. But PMS transcodes each and every video when subtitles are enabled..

I'm going to need more info then. Can you provide the XML for a few videos that direct play without subtitles but then transcode with subtitles?

Sure, where can I find the XML file?

• HeartWare42HeartWare42 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass

Open the movie's "Info" (the "Get info" menu item in the "..." menu) and click on "View XML".

edited March 31

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    I'm going to need more info then. Can you provide the XML for a few videos that direct play without subtitles but then transcode with subtitles?

ok, please find XML attached

btw: it does not work on plex web player either --> directly playing all my movies with subtitles disabled --> transcoding the same movies when subtitles enabled.

but on my samsung tv (ue55f8000, plex-orca version 2.007, as mentioned above) it directly plays all videos with subtitles enabled perfectly fine!

very much not answered..

Your test.xml has DTS audio and your test2.xml has ac3 audio. Neither the Nexus 6 nor Nexus 10 support DTS or AC3, so I'm no sure how you are able to direct play these files. They should be transcoding the audio. This will then cause the video to transcode to include the subtitles. The Samsung TV doesn't have the same limitation of needing subtitles transcoded, this is an Android limitation.