Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Nvidia Shield not playing DTS Master Audio, TrueHD, Atmos, DTS:X etc formats in Plex

mrpeterlivanos@gmail.commrpeterlivanos@gmail.com Posts: 80Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Why does the Plex player that is downloaded from the play store not play all codecs? it is heavily published it is supposed to work... what gives???It is installed with the latest 5.1 SW version... It is definitely the P2897, under the system info it shows it has version 5.6.1.505 updated on 6 March 2017... :neutral:
PLEASE HELP :( :( :(
i HAVE MADE SURE EVERYTHING IS UPDATED ON THE MACHINE...

Best Answer

Answers

• mrpeterlivanos@gmail.commrpeterlivanos@gmail.com Posts: 80Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

EVEN IN THIS LINK THEY MENTION HOW IT IS SUPPOSED TO WORK:
    https://shield.nvidia.com/support/nvidia-android-tv/release-notes

• Angel.L.VazquezAngel.L.Vazquez Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having the EXACT same problem. Nothing passes through. I've played with all the settings and nothing occurs with the HD Passthrough. I play the EXACT file using Kodi and the Audio passes through. Which tells me, PLEX doesn't allow Audio Passthrough or there is a serious glitch on the Shield with Plex.

• nicomartinicomarti Posts: 1Members

same problem here...

• jbennett73jbennett73 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just bought a shield with the explicit understanding that it was supposed to support Atmos in Plex.

• LedningenLedningen Posts: 23Members ✭✭

Everything works perfectly here, has done so since Plex came out for the Shield. DTS-MA, Atmos, no problems.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,684Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

I moved this thread. The other section was for PMS running on the Shield. This is more appropriate for the client.

To be clear, the Shield cannot decode AC3 or DTS audio, but can pass-through most variants of these. If this is not working, please provide the Pelx App version number, details on the file being played, and details on the AVR you are using. Please note that if you are connecting your AVR through your TV's optical out port, things may not always work correctly. The Shield needs to be able to communicate with the AVR, which it cannot always do when connected via the optical port.

• mrpeterlivanos@gmail.commrpeterlivanos@gmail.com Posts: 80Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thank you kindly and apologise for putting it in the wrong section, still new to this forum type support hehe!!! :smile:

Absolutley and completly agree... the Shield is connected via HDMI cable into my Yamaha CX A5100 Pre- AMP... I also have connected it to my Yamaha RXA 3060.... previously i had the source as the Oppo 105D and Atmos and all the sound formats worked perfectly...(obviously in passthrough mode to the Amp) but the Nvidia Shield is struggling for some reason... I also advising you that it worked so you are comfy the HDMI cables etc are of the highest standard and are compliant as well....

I have attached a camera pic of the PLex Media App version (which i took today btw) : 5.6.1.505 Updated on 6 Mar 2017 and is 25 MB

Looking very forward to hearing from you... :smile:

@Ledningen said:
    Everything works perfectly here, has done so since Plex came out for the Shield. DTS-MA, Atmos, no problems.

Please see my recent post, i know it should but doesnt...

• GrumpydevGrumpydev Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here - bought the shield to use with plex because it supported everything (4k, hdr, atmos). Pass through works fine with "normal" audio like DTS 5.1, but DTS-MA, atmos etc don't work, and the amp reports it as pcm multi channel in.

Same HDMI cable plugged into my old media pc, same amp input, same file playing from the same plex server using the windows version of the plex media player works fine - bitstreams the file and the amp reports it as atmos.

Really, really disappointed that this doesn't work.

I guess this is the issue? DTS:X actually seems to work, but anything atmos transcodes with this reason - if I force direct play the file won't play at all.

edited March 19

I'm assuming this is the offending line in android.xml on the plex media server:

VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac" context="streaming"

Changing it to allow all the protocols like this:

VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="ac3,dca,aac,mp2,mp3,pcm_u8,truehd,dts-hd,dts,dts-ma" context="streaming"

Makes the Shield direct play both the audio and the video stream (rather than transcoding the audio), but the audio doesn't actually play and the shield doesn't use pass-through.

My media server is Version 1.5.0.3501

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,198Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 19

@Grumpydev said: "")
    I guess this is the issue? DTS:X actually seems to work, but anything atmos transcodes with this reason - if I force direct play the file won't play at all.

.m2ts is not a supported container. MKV only.

Direct Play should be Auto.
    Direct Stream enabled.
    Passthrough Enabled.
    Refresh rate switching enabled if you want it.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

@danjames92 said:

Direct Stream enabled.
    Passthrough Enabled.

So surely it should unwrap the container server side and stream the video and audio streams, rather than downmixing the audio?

edited March 19

@Grumpydev said:

@danjames92 said:

Direct Stream enabled.
    Passthrough Enabled.

So surely it should unwrap the container server side and stream the video and audio streams, rather than downmixing the audio?

As I said, it is a unsupported container. Therefore it is unsupported and will give you unexpected and often undesireable results. The Plex for Android TV currently does not have the required licensing to decode audio / downmix. The devs are hoping to provide this functionality in the future. If you re-rip the file and place it in a MKV, it will work perfectly.

The passthrough of 6.1 audio is currently also unsupported.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

edited March 19

As I said, it is a unsupported container. Therefore it is unsupported and will give you unexpected and often undesireable results. The Plex for Android TV currently does not have the required licensing to decode audio / downmix. The devs are hoping to provide this functionality in the future. If you re-rip the file and place it in a MKV, it will work perfectly.

But that's conflating container format with stream encoding? If I take the file and do a direct copy of the audio and video streams (using MKVTools), and put then into a new MKV (no transcoding or re-encoding, direct copy - takes about 2 seconds on a 400meg file), the file plays perfectly - and this is exactly what I expect PMS to do. PMS understands the M2TS format, it understands that the client doesn't, but it should understand that the client understands the underlying stream format and just repackage it into an MKV on the fly - that's what I was trying to do with the xml file changes above, but the client still refuses to use pass-through.

I've seen PMS do container repackaging on other things when using older clients - but in this scenario either there's a bug in the client that's choosing not to pass-through even when it's capable, or my XML config edits were incorrect (which is quite possible, but the info text suggests PMS was streaming the audio track direct, the client was trying to decode but can't due to the license issue so just playing nothing, when it should be passing that stream straight to the receiver).

edited March 19

@Grumpydev said:

But that's conflating container format with stream encoding? If I take the file and do a direct copy of the audio and video streams (using MKVTools), and put then into a new MKV (no transcoding or re-encoding, direct copy - takes about 2 seconds on a 400meg file), the file plays perfectly - and this is exactly what I expect PMS to do. PMS understands the M2TS format, it understands that the client doesn't, but it should understand that the client understands the underlying stream format and just repackage it into an MKV on the fly - that's what I was trying to do with the xml file changes above, but the client still refuses to use pass-through.

I've seen PMS do container repackaging on other things when using older clients - but in this scenario either there's a bug in the client that's choosing not to pass-through even when it's capable, or my XML config edits were incorrect (which is quite possible, but the info text suggests PMS was streaming the audio track direct, the client was trying to decode but can't due to the license issue so just playing nothing, when it should be passing that stream straight to the receiver).

I'm struggling to understand why you are finding this difficult to grasp. Plex has never supported disc-based container formats i.e. the kind you will find on a bluray. The scanner has the ability to recognise and catergorise said m2ts format but that doesn't mean it is supported correctly and leads to unexpected results like you have found. I agree that it should work like you say but the fact is it doesn't and probably won't. Best to stick to mkv.

I'm sure your edits are probably correct but I don't know enough about how PMS works to verify that. All that can be said here is that there are clearly other factors at play like the fact we are using ExoPlayer 1.5 rather than the latest 2.3.0 which is impacting the ability to play files of this nature. Heck the .ts files the DVR creates by default is struggled to be played correctly via the Plex client due to this exact reason. Support has never been there from the beginning and .ts is new to Plex. It'll take time before we see improvements, particularly for the Android TV app which is why I'm using the remux to mkv option so at least it's in a container that is reasonably friendly to the SHIELD.

I've created a thread with all the issues found on SHIELD TV and the Plex client for it at the link below. There's a fair bit of information there and you see how bad it was at the beginning back in 2015. Let me know if you think there's a bug / issue and I'll update accordingly. Things have drastically improved since then and I expect them to continue albeit at a slow pace.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/225585/updated-19-03-17-buglist-plex-for-android-tv-app-on-nvidia-shield-tv/p1

Getting back to your point, yes I agree Plex should be able to do that but it's expressed no interest and have stated in the past that they are not interested in supporting m2ts so it's probably just easier if you repackage them very quickly like you said.

edited March 19

Thanks for the info, I'm not finding anything difficult to grasp thanks, I'm trying to suggest this is an issue/bug :) I totally get what you're saying about the container format not being fully supported, I'm just saying that the component pieces are there for this to work, it just doesn't:

• PMS understands M2TS
    • PMS is capable of repackaging it on the fly to MKV (proven by config file edits)
    • STV Plex client is capable of playing the raw audio stream via passthrough (proven by manually repackaging)

So (to me) the issues are:

• PMS doesn't have a specific profile for the Shield, it should really as a generic "Android" one is a bit too general - not all Android clients are the same.
    • STV Plex client should passthrough when an audio stream is "direct streamed" (when passthrough is enabled) - currently it only appears to do so when the file is "direct played", which won't work in this case because, as you said, it doesn't support the outer container.

So yes I can work around this with the files I have, and I'm happy to type up instructions if it helps others in this thread sort their files out (it's really easy to do), but I think this does belong on an "issues/bug" list (the former an issue with PMS, the latter with the client).

Some quick instructions on how to convert the files if anyone else in this thread needs to do so, or future searchers come across this:

• Grab the latest version of MKVTools from https://www.videohelp.com/software/MKVToolNix and install it
    • Run MKVToolNix GUI
    • Select "Add source files" and select your m2ts
    • Each stream should be set to "copy item" automatically
    • Click the icon next to the "Destination file" box and select where you want to save it
    • Click "Start multiplexing"

It should only take a few seconds per file, and you should be able to play them fine now.

Screenshot of the MKVToolNix GUI:

One further piece of info - I've just installed Kodi and Plex for Kodi, and that plays the mpegts versions fine (from PMS) - so that's another option, and it shows that PMS is capable of doing what I want it to do.

@MovieFan.Plex: did you see i posted the info you requested? Also in my mind, when passthrough is enabled, should it not FORCE PASSTHROUGH so that no form of transcoding etc happens… but please also read below:
    @Ledningen
    @Grumpydev said:
    I'm assuming this is the offending line in android.xml on the plex media server:

VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac" context="streaming"

Changing it to allow all the protocols like this:

VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="ac3,dca,aac,mp2,mp3,pcm_u8,truehd,dts-hd,dts,dts-ma" context="streaming"

Makes the Shield direct play both the audio and the video stream (rather than transcoding the audio), but the audio doesn't actually play and the shield doesn't use pass-through.

My media server is Version 1.5.0.3501

Hi there, thank you for this... i have no idea how to edit this, how do i do this... from the little i know, it seems as if you are "forcing" no transcoding? this would be great!!! please would you mind explaingin or post a link how to do this?

Please also bear in mind> all my media is MKV and the mkvs work perfectly on my oppo and a few other media players, as they pass through ## perfectly.... I am comparing apples with apples, the only new variant is using the Nvidia Shield Plex Media App...

my settings btw:

Direct Play - Auto
    Direct Stream - Enabled
    Passthrough - Enabled

I see my post is getting confused with other user talking about M2TS formats etc.... Please this is not my question worry or issue.... I am talking stricly MKVs that are perfectly compliant on other Media players but the Plex Media app on Nvidia Shield is struggling... Please i mean no disrespect to other people experiencing problems... sorry....