Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Only some of the Metadata is updating

ARAMP1ARAMP1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

I'm running Plex1.4.3.3433 on FreeNAS-9.10.2-U.

I recently built a Freenas computer and am in the process of transferring all of my files over from my windows 10 machine, which I was previously running Plex. In each of my movie folders, I have an NFO file with the IMDB web address. That seemed to be the ticket for accurate metadata (especially on remakes).

Now, I have the correct title, the release date, movie posters and background images. I'm missing all the other data (rating, content rating, tagline, summary, etc). I've set the agent -> Plex Movie and The Movie Database to IMDB.

With the searching I've done, I've found that "List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth" needs to have the value of the Plex Media Server. After adding that, I was able to get the artwork. The summary would be a nice to have, but I used the ratings to filter out content for the kids. It stopped my six year old from having to scroll past the SAW series to get to Star Wars.

Any ideas?

Answers

• FlyingPersian25FlyingPersian25 Members Posts: 40 ✭✭

Try turning on VIMAGE in the jail's settings!

• ARAMP1ARAMP1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

@FlyingPersian25 said:

Thanks, but it's already on.

• FlyingPersian25FlyingPersian25 Members Posts: 40 ✭✭

@ARAMP1 said:

@FlyingPersian25 said:

Thanks, but it's already on.

Oh okay! I recently experienced the same problem and fixed it randomly by turning on VIMAGE

Okay, just an update. This might be the weirdest problem I've ever had.

So I continued to click on "fix match" under each movie and it eventually matched to the IMDB info. I got called away and when I came back to it and tried it again, it didn't work.

I upgraded to Plex 1.5.0.3501 and it will randomly work. I tried seeing if there is something that I'm doing to make it happen, but can't find a rhyme or reason of what will make it update or not. (using auto match or picking one, having IMDB open or not, etc).

• YKBlomYKBlom Members, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

Have you checked the logs?

@Belm420 said:
    Have you checked the logs?

I have downloaded the logs but I really don't know what I'm looking at.

could you post the logs zip here and ill have a look

edited March 20

what local ip did you set for the server (access without auth)? Looking at the logs it seems that you might have set 192.168.0.1 as the server. Try 127.0.0.1, localhost or the ip in the local network and see if it works.

With the searching I've done, I've found that "List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth" needs to have the value of the Plex Media Server.

Also, is there a specific reason why you want to use imdb instead of the standard agents?

@Belm420 said:
    what local ip did you set for the server (access without auth)? Looking at the logs it seems that you might have set 192.168.0.1 as the server. Try 127.0.0.1, localhost or the ip in the local network and see if it works.

With the searching I've done, I've found that "List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth" needs to have the value of the Plex Media Server.

Also, is there a specific reason why you want to use imdb instead of the standard agents?

I had initially set 192.168.0.1/50 then I added the local 10.0.0.29 and 10.0.0.30 for both LAN addresses of my server. Then I added 10.0.0.31 which is the local PLEX jail plugin. Had them all separated by commas. I'm adding 127.0.0.1 now and refreshing the library.

The reason I'm using the IMDB is because it's what worked for me in the past when I used my windows computer. I had saved the IMDB page of each movie to an NFO file with the movie. Right now, I'm just trying to get anything to work. I'd be happy with the standard and rotten tomato ratings.

I'll update you when my refresh gets done. Thanks again for the help.

@Belm420 said:
    Try 127.0.0.1, localhost or the ip in the local network and see if it works.

Well, no luck. It didn't work.

edited March 21

@ARAMP1 Sorry to hear that. While I do not have anything new to try at this moment, I do have a few ideas.

Maybe you are getting issues with inaccuracy because your files have a weird name? I usually run my files trough a program called filebot. It automatically renames files with a proper filename that plex loves, it can also do other things like fetching subtitles. Check it out. If you do decide to install it on Windows instead of FreeNAS, use the sourceforge link instead (under downloads) unless you want to support them by paying $20 (more of a donation type thing). (I use this movie format which works great with plex: Movie: {movie}\{n.colon(' - ')} ({y}){' CD'+pi}{subt} Series: {n}/{'Season '+s}/{n} - {s00e00} - {t})

Now as for the actual movie information, I recommend you try the standard agents again. They are not always accurate but having good filenames helps a lot. In worst case you might have to "fix match..." on some. That should give you accurate metadata.

As for your kids, I see you have a plex pass which means adding a second user is probably a good idea. What I recommend is creating a "Managed User" in the plex settings that your kids can use. Instead of having to filter away R-rated content every time they want to watch something you can have a predefined allowed age rating. See here for more information about restricting certain ratings

let me know what you think, alternatively we could do some more debugging if you want.

@Belm420 said:
    @ARAMP1 Sorry to hear that. While I do not have anything new to try at this moment, I do have a few ideas.

Maybe you are getting issues with inaccuracy because your files have a weird name? I usually run my files trough a program called filebot. It automatically renames files with a proper filename that plex loves, it can also do other things like fetching subtitles. Check it out. If you do decide to install it on Windows instead of FreeNAS, use the sourceforge link instead (under downloads) unless you want to support them by paying $20 (more of a donation type thing). (I use this movie format which works great with plex: Movie: {movie}\{n.colon(' - ')} ({y}){' CD'+pi}{subt} Series: {n}/{'Season '+s}/{n} - {s00e00} - {t})

Well, I've followed the standard naming convention and actually copied/pasted all the names from IMDB with the name and the year in parentheses. The actual videos are in MP4 format which I've been able to rename them all with little exception. This includes changing the properties to the correct name and year. This really seemed to help with remakes.

@Belm420 said:
    Now as for the actual movie information, I recommend you try the standard agents again. They are not always accurate but having good filenames helps a lot. In worst case you might have to "fix match..." on some. That should give you accurate metadata.

I'll give it a shot.

@Belm420 said:
    As for your kids, I see you have a plex pass which means adding a second user is probably a good idea. What I recommend is creating a "Managed User" in the plex settings that your kids can use. Instead of having to filter away R-rated content every time they want to watch something you can have a predefined allowed age rating. See here for more information about restricting certain ratings

That's kind of what I've been doing. Initially, I filtered all the movies out that weren't G rated for my boys (they're six years old). Then, I've found that there are some family movies that are PG, but other PG movies that I'd rather they not watch. Under sharing, I've created a tag called "family" and basically any content that they're allowed to watch is tagged with "family".

@Belm420 said:
    let me know what you think, alternatively we could do some more debugging if you want.

I really do appreciate the help. I'm going to try a couple of your suggestions with the standard agents and see what happens.

edited March 28

Well, I've switched over to the standard agents (or so I think). I've clicked "Use collection info from The Movie Database". Everything is performing the same. I'll go a few days and not get any metadata to load. Then today, I added the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey and all of a sudden I noticed the Rotten Tomatoes ratings. I started going into other movies and clicked "Fix Match". I was able to load the metadata for several movies for about a half hour. It worked well and then I'm back to "Fix Match" doing nothing.

It's just odd that this will work randomly. I can't think of any setting I'm changing. It's happened right after a restart of my Plex Media Server computer and also when it's been running for a while. Just random.