If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

bbc iplayer

megsdaddymegsdaddy Posts: 1Members Plex Pass

why doesn't bbc stream work

Answers

• Mark SMark S Posts: 388Members ✭✭✭

Are you in UK?

• sander1sander1 Channel Developer/Admin Posts: 3,694Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited March 13

@megsdaddy said:
    why doesn't bbc stream work

We don't have a crystal ball unfortunately.

• Live streams or on demand stuff?
    • What PMS version and what Plex client(s)?
    • Are you in the UK? iPlayer does not work outside the UK.
    • Check log files to see if anything useful is in there.

• andybeeandybee Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 15

Similar story here. Down on Plex 'externally' on via Plex server and Roku app ;) . works on computer (direct), Apple TV etc.

Any thoughts?

TY

• sander1sander1 Channel Developer/Admin Posts: 3,694Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@andybee said:
    Similar story here. Down on Plex 'externally' on via Plex server and Roku app ;) . works on computer (direct), Apple TV etc.

Is 'externally' outside the UK by any chance? Also:

• Live streams or on demand stuff?
    • What version of PMS?
    • Are you (the server) in the UK?
    • Check log files to see if anything useful is in there.

• riramos123riramos123 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm recently new to Plex and I'm located in the US. I'm using Plex media server Version 3.9.1 on a Synology DS1815 Disk Station connected to an iMac running macOS Sierra. I'm unable to view on-demand video content from the BBC channel. Each time I select a video to view I consistently get a "There was a problem playing this item" error message after about 30 seconds. Based on similar posts, is this because I'm not located in the UK? Why doesn't the error message indicate something like "Must be located in the UK region to view this content". I tried various region settings without any luck. One of the main reasons why I signed up for Plex (lifetime subscription) is because of the BBC channel lineup. I appreciate any assistance I can get. Thank you

• Mark SMark S Posts: 388Members ✭✭✭

You might get the bbc iplayer plug-in to work if you spoof your location to UK. A vpn service will possibly do the trick?

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,700Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

@riramos123 said:
    I'm recently new to Plex and I'm located in the US. I'm using Plex media server Version 3.9.1 on a Synology DS1815 Disk Station connected to an iMac running macOS Sierra. I'm unable to view on-demand video content from the BBC channel. Each time I select a video to view I consistently get a "There was a problem playing this item" error message after about 30 seconds. Based on similar posts, is this because I'm not located in the UK? Why doesn't the error message indicate something like "Must be located in the UK region to view this content". I tried various region settings without any luck. One of the main reasons why I signed up for Plex (lifetime subscription) is because of the BBC channel lineup. I appreciate any assistance I can get. Thank you

The BBC iPlayer website has chosen to region-restrict its content and only allow access from a UK IP address.

Plex channel plugins just provides a Plex friendly interface for existing online media offered by websites. The community of volunteer developers who create, maintain and support Plex channel plugins have no influence over the websites accessed by Plex channels, the media they choose to offer, or how they choose to limit access to that media. So if you cannot play media directly from a website using a browser, you cannot play that media from a Plex channel.

Having your Plex region set properly just ensures that any channel plugin for a website that has region-restricted its media, and therefore will not play in Plex, will only be listed in the Foreign (Region-restricted) section of the Channel Directory. As stated in the support document Region Settings:

"Understand that the region setting does not act like a proxy or VPN. That is, while setting it to a region other than your own will allow you to install channels restricted to that region, it will not make the channel work or play videos that are region-restricted. The region setting in Plex Media Server simply makes sure that the channels shown in the Channel Directory are the ones appropriate for that region."

The use of IP spoofing software does not guarantee success with Plex channels. Using an IP spoofing add-on for your browser may allow you to play media directly from a website that is region-restricted but that will only change your IP address on that browser. The IP address for every Plex device (your Plex players and Plex Media Server computer) must reflect the proper region to play region-restricted media through Plex channels.

Also see the Channel Plugin support documents and the READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues and Questions and Frequently Asked Questions for Channel Plugins pinned to the top of this forum.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ

• therealjohnpaultherealjohnpaul Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've used this channel for years successfully with a VPN. Unfortunately, recent updates have made it so I can't view content in HD anymore, though. I've been trying to troubleshoot the issue for a long time (see https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/222460/cant-choose-hd-stream-720p-on-bbc-iplayer-on-latest-pms-versions-on-roku)

I figured I'd take one last crack at it before I chuck in the towel.

edited August 11

@therealjohnpaul said:
    I've used this channel for years successfully with a VPN. Unfortunately, recent updates have made it so I can't view content in HD anymore, though. I've been trying to troubleshoot the issue for a long time (see https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/222460/cant-choose-hd-stream-720p-on-bbc-iplayer-on-latest-pms-versions-on-roku)

I figured I'd take one last crack at it before I chuck in the towel.

The channel used to make use of so called rtmp streams. Back then we had to find the available versions of a video and present the user with a select option. Nowadays we use the HTTP Live Stream versions iPlayer provides. This is a multi-bitrate format where the main playlist contains all the info of all the available versions of a video. We provide the Plex player with this playlist, and then it is up to the player to select a version of the video (based on bitrate vs available bandwidth). With multi-bitrate streams a player can switch up or down while playing the video when more or less bandwidth becomes available.

• alan.meyer@outlook.comalan.meyer@outlook.com Posts: 1Members

Hello, Up until this past week, I had been able to watch bbc iplayer from the States using a smartDNS. Now I get the dreaded "There is a problem playing this item" message whenever I attempt to watch something on-demand. Anyone else experiencing this?

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,700Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

@alan.meyer@outlook.com said:
    Hello, Up until this past week, I had been able to watch bbc iplayer from the States using a smartDNS. Now I get the dreaded "There is a problem playing this item" message whenever I attempt to watch something on-demand. Anyone else experiencing this?

When playing region-restricted media from a Plex channel, the device requesting that media may be your Plex Media Server or it may be your Plex players/devices, depending on whether that media is direct played or transcoded. So, the IP address for ALL of the Plex devices in their system (Plex players/devices and Plex Media Server) that may request that media must be from the restricted region.

Use of IP spoofing methods does not guarantee success accessing region-restricted media from Plex channel plugins. You would need to refer to the documentation for your IP spoofing method to determine how and if it can change the IP addresses of the various types of players/devices and systems you may use in your Plex system. Those who have the best success use IP spoofing software on their router that can change the IP address for all of their Plex devices.

Also, understand that Plex channel plugins just provide a Plex-friendly interface for accessing existing online media. The websites accessed by those channel plugins determines the range of IP addresses that can play their region-restricted content and those websites may decide to change the range of accepted IP address at any time.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ

Original poster did not provide any further info in 5 months, topic got hijacked twice by people also not providing any more info. Closing this topic.

This discussion has been closed.