Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Videos that play fine in PMS 1.3.3 fail when upgraded to 1.4.x

caffeinejoltcaffeinejolt Members, Plex Pass Posts: 29 Plex Pass

A lot of my movies simply don't work with 1.4.x - so I had to fall back to 1.3.3. Things have worked fine for a long time and multiple versions - only thing that changed was 1.4.x. When I try to play with 1.4.x, the transcoder process spikes to 100% CPU use and playback ultimately times out.

3.6.11-4.fc16.x86_64

Any ideas?

Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 12,498 Plex Team Member

May I see your log files please? Timeouts are usually an indication of the database needing maintenance.

Settings - Server - Help - Downloads Logs will present you with a ZIP file you can attach (above ^^) with your reply.

• caffeinejoltcaffeinejolt Members, Plex Pass Posts: 29 Plex Pass
    edited March 13

Please see attached (update attachment deleted - will post new version with updated logs)

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 12,498 Plex Team Member

I'm sorry, anything from 1.4.x is lost. You have Verbose logging enabled. Doing this for too long causes all 5 previous log files to be overwritten ..

I have 6 log files here, all 1.3.3

Please go to Setttings - Server - General, Uncheck "enable Verbose logging" (and save)

then repeat the failure condition.

We try not to use Verbose until needed. It's intended to be used sparingly because it provides so much output about each packet of data .

Updated logs attached - verbose disabled - debug logging still enabled

I delete everything in Logs and then issued a server restart with plexmediaserver-1.4.3.3433-03e4cfa35.x86_64.rpm - so only relevant information should be in the zip (i.e. no ancient log files).

I am seeing a part of your problem.. This is quite bad too and occurring in the logs at the same time as the video failure.

Mar 12, 2017 20:15:27.261 [0x7f0714fff700] WARN - SLOW QUERY: It took 66870.000000 ms to retrieve 81 items.

that's 66.870 seconds and definitely not good. Your PMS internal database is very fragmented.

Did you recently add, delete, or otherwise move any content?
    Do you have your Schedule Tasks enabled to automatically optimize the database? If not, please do so.

Also, I strongly recommend you perform a manual optimization now. Under the ellipsis next to Library, you will find "Optimize Database".. Click it and let it put the database back together.

Hi,

Yes - I have "Optimize database every week" checked. I ran the manual optimization, but it still fails to play videos that play fine with 1.3.3. What should I check next?

Grab me a set of log files please? Attach them here and I'll see what it's complaining at NOW.. haha
    It should be much more clear without all the pieces timing out.

Sure - logs attached - thanks for helping

Still there?

Same issue with plexmediaserver-1.5.0.3501-3b8374a5c.x86_64.rpm

• m0dcmm0dcm Members Posts: 15 ✭✭

Is this the same issue that I'm having? With version 1.4.4 build 3395? Where TV Shows won't play, especially the latest episodes.

For me it depends on the media file played. My older stuff - mostly 480p plays fine on 1.4.x or 1.5.x, but newer stuff at 1080p (mkv x264 high profile) with DTS or AC3 5.1 audio - won't play on the newer versions.

First:

1.4+ is having an issue. I spent 5 hours today dedicated to detailed investigation. I have not yet had time to review the log files. I only see the data collected as I wrote them in my notes.

I've not forgotten anyone. I do ask please understand I'm one person.

The issues with audio codecs sounds like others I've seen. Corrupt codec downloads. I have not had the opportunity to investigate why nor do I actually know how to capture/emulate a failure

I can tell you is to look in the Codecs directory under Plex Media Server.

In there, you will see all the .so files. If you find any zero-length or vastly short ones? Those are corrupted. Is something going sideways? yes. Do I have a clue yet? no. It's a recent development. We need to collect more data about which files / patterns are emerging.

Anything you can help me with GREATLY helps.

Now, regarding the damaged so files (shared objects - codes)...

ls -la to show what you have. we can track that.

Now delete them all.

Go back to the media library/ies impacted and "analyze all" again.. This forces completely fresh codec download.

I'm not sure if it's an incompatibility when the codecs got bumped (up-revved) for the next release or not. I believe this is our best next step. What event precipitated this issue?

agreed?

Ok - I ran analyze (after wiping Codecs/*). After analysis was complete - here are the contents of Codecs (everything is inside this subdirectory in Codes: 7f7c2d3-1195-linux-ubuntu-x86_64):

-rw-r--r-- 1 plex plex 354648 Mar 20 16:32 libaac_encoder.so
    -rw-r--r-- 1 plex plex 435816 Mar 20 16:32 libdca_decoder.so
    -rw-r--r-- 1 plex plex 1378408 Mar 20 16:31 libh264_decoder.so
    -rw-r--r-- 1 plex plex 1270120 Mar 20 16:32 liblibx264_encoder.so
    -rw-r--r-- 1 plex plex 683560 Mar 20 16:33 libmpeg4_decoder.so

I would like to try to help you troubleshoot this if you feel this is an issue affecting others as well. I am pretty familiar with Linux so hopefully I can prove to be useful/helpful in lending assistance.

The problem is still present after performing analysis and downloading the above codecs - so that did not help.

Just to review - I have only seen this issue in version 1.4.x and higher (including 1.5.x). The only fix has been to fallback to 1.3.3. Some media files do play fine in 1.4.x and higher (not a complete failure) - but many do fail which play fine in 1.3.x and lower.

Interestingly, the same pattern is not present on another PMS I run which runs on slightly different hardware and OS version (also slightly different python version). This different PMS (1.4.3) has the same exact files - but is able to play the problematic files.

Therefore, it would seem that this may be an opportunity to narrow down what might be causing the problem. Let me know if you would like me to show you a summary of the differences between the 2 PMS.

@cayars and I spent the entire afternoon on purely the streaming part. With him operating the server, I twisted it '6 ways to sunday' and came up with very solid and repeatable data. This was the goal.

@caffeinejolt

Your codecs look good now. I like those results.

Now I would like to break down the observe playback failures / successes, thinking of how this all fits into an overview.

Container: Video Encoding with bitrate: Audio encoding with channels and bitrate: Player used

An example might be:

1.3.4, LAN, mkv,  x264, 15500, ac3, stereo, 568K, Roku,   PASS
    1,4,1, REMOTE, mp4, x264, 10000, ac3, stereo,  568K.  Web TV, FAIL
    1.4,1, REMOTE, mp4, x264, 9800, ac3, stereo, 512K, Roku, PASS

I'm thinking of a spreadsheet style breakdown where we can attach the XML if/when needed to help the devs.

Yes, this is a big spitball.. I'm tossing it out here, asking for better suggestions on how to best organize.

Based on todays results alone, we have good harad data .

If I were to map it out in a chart like i show above (if actual data), there would be a very clear point at where things stop working.

Am I making sense? I do apologize. Been at this one task for hours now.

edited March 21

I understand what you are saying - but I think the point I made in the previous post warrants consideration - its not entirely dependent on the file format - that is one factor yes - but as I mentioned above, it is dependent on the machine PMS is running on. I think the fact that aspects of the system that PMS is running on factors in is noteworthy for the devs - possibly as much as the file formats.

Lets take the below file (Rogue One).

It fails to play in PMS 1.4.x and higher on this system (plays fine on 1.3.x and lower):

Fedora release 16 (Verne)
    Linux 3.6.11-4.fc16.x86_64 #1 SMP
    python-2.7.3-4.fc16.x86_64
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz

However, it will play on PMS 1.4.x and higher on this system:

CentOS Linux release 7.3.1611 (Core)
    Linux 3.10.0-327.36.3.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP
    python-2.7.5-48.el7.x86_64
    2 X Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5645 @ 2.40GHz

File format information attached.

The second system - the one that is able to play the file - is a lot more powerful (way more CPU power - RAM - SSDs etc.). I am not sure that it being more powerful makes a difference or not - I just wanted to point it out since I realized that might not be clear from the above descriptions of the two systems.

@caffeinejolt

Would you mind editing the post with the metadata, removing the block of text and adding it as an attached file? It will make things easier to read...

This is likely to be a long thread. :)

Done - also - I included the system python versions above when describing the 2 systems - when I was looking through the PMS files, it appears you guys may ship your own python interpreter - so not sure the python versions mentioned above matter at all.

PMS ships with its own python 2.7.

Most systems have Python 2 or 3 (user selectable). If you've used python, you'll know how incompatible 2 & 3 can be with each other. Such unpredictability is so not cool