Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Bug: Plex has stopped working on my 2016 Samsung TV

AnekeiAnekei Members Posts: 13 ✭✭

Hello all. I've been using the Plex app throughout my household for years and on a 2016 Samsung TV model 60KS8000 since getting it without issue. As of a couple days ago, my Samsung won't connect to the Plex server. I use several Rokus throughout the house, and they connect fine, as do our phones/tablets. Just this TV seems to be the problem. I've seen a few other threads around these forums, but nothing for more recent models, and none of the fixes within those threads have worked for me.

When I load the Plex app, it just gives me a "Unable to connect to ServerName" message. I've signed out and signed back in on both the TV and the server itself, made sure both the TV firmware and the Plex app are up to date, as well as the Plex app on my iMac. I've restarted my computer, as well as unplugging my TV for a while to give it a good power cycle. None of these fixes have yielded any results.

The first time I try to the app on the TV after signing out and signing back in, it suggest I allow insecure fallback connections. When I try this, it still doesn't work, but the message changes to the more generic check your server IP, try manual connections, etc.

Any thoughts on other potential fixes would be great. I really don't know what would have caused this issue. I've been using the Plex app on the TV for months without issue. Last week it just stopped, with no changes to the TV, iMac, or network that I'm aware of. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Answers

• onlyonthursdaysonlyonthursdays Members Posts: 6 Plex Pass

Yep, I am having the same problem.

I managed to be able to use a direct connection by putting in the IP address, but now that won't even work.

Tried everything you tried. I have no idea how to sign out and sign back in though, it doesn't seem to give me that option anywhere. I can only "retry" and "go home" (which does the same thing as retry), and there is nothing in the settings that helps.

• rodan1967rodan1967 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 34 Plex Pass

Same issue here. I updated Version 1.4.4.3495 yesterday and now Samsung TV will no longer play.

• AnekeiAnekei Members Posts: 13 ✭✭

@onlyonthursdays said:
    Yep, I am having the same problem.

I managed to be able to use a direct connection by putting in the IP address, but now that won't even work.

Tried everything you tried. I have no idea how to sign out and sign back in though, it doesn't seem to give me that option anywhere. I can only "retry" and "go home" (which does the same thing as retry), and there is nothing in the settings that helps.

To sign out and sign back in, instead of hitting Retry or Go Home, you move up to the top right where is shows your log in icon or letter. You can sign out from there, then sign back in with Plex.tv/link. That didn't solve the problem for me though.

FYI this issue seems to be resolved now.

@onlyonthursdays said:
    FYI this issue seems to be resolved now.

Did you change anything to get this working? I'm still not up and running. I had an update for Plex today, but that didn't resolve it either. Tried restarting the server and all the components after the update, as well as signing out and back in post-update, but still no luck.

• gilbertcairns@hotmail.comgilbertcairns@hotmail.com Members Posts: 1

I am having the same issue on a Samsung TV, the IP address has been added to the server but still get the Unable to Connect to Home message - I have tried using Plex on the Samsung Web Browser but that regularly crashes with unable to connect to home and the when it does work the playback stops as if buffering regularly throughout - despite having a good internet connection and speed I have no idea what to try

When I tried it yesterday it said my credentials had expired and gave me the opportunity to relink my account. After that I removed the custom IP address and now it works fine.

I did unlink my tv from the Plex website a few days ago after this issue started but that didn't have an immediate effect. Might be worth trying that. By the way I never had the option to sign out of the Plex app when this issue was occurring as you did.

Actually, it's patchy. Some times its working, some times it is not. Any one know what is going on? It had worked flawlessly since I got the TV in december.

I got my TV in November, and it too had been working flawlessly with the Plex app since then. Suddenly, nothing.

Yep looks like it has completely stopped working for me now. Same error as in OP.

Any updates here Plex team?

After over a week of Plex not working on my Samsung TV and then a few days of Plex not working at all for me on phones, Rokus, tablets, or anything, everything just started working. No updates through Plex that I downloaded, no network changes, no firmware updates to any devices. Not sure why everything went down, why the Samsung TV was affected so much longer than the other devices, or why everything is suddenly working again, but it's nice to be up and running.

• PunkleJonesPunkleJones Members, Plex Pass Posts: 54 Plex Pass
    edited March 28

I have something similar. PLex app on my Samsungs have been working fine for years.
    2 days ago Plex refuse to load at all (latest Plex-app,JS8000 series and last official PlexMediaServer on Synology NAS). It just sits on the Logo screen with white dots for a long time and then just quits. No errors message. (Not sure if related at all, but i was watching a movie and after 1h:27m approx it stopped/froze. Movie play fine in vlc and that windows10 movie app thing.)
    After this Plex-app want load. I did the "uninstall Plex, pull plug on TV for more then a minute, installed Plex" and it worked.
    Then Yesterday Plex refused to load, did the same "dance" thing and it worked.

... placeholder for today's test: Worked fine. Took a while to load but at least it did. Will check again to morrow..
    Todays is "tomorrow". Plex opened fine. Played a few "home-movies" and then i tried to play Music. Worked fine for first song, then second song i wanterd to skip ahead a minute or so, and that was it. Plex hangs. And is now NOT loading from smart Tv again..

What the hell is going on with Plex (and Samsung)? I have newer had any problems with this before.

Now I'm back to having the same issue. Plex won't connect from my Samsung TV. No updates to do, no changes to the server, router settings, Plex settings, etc. It works on my other devices just fine, only the Samsung is the problem.

Yep, mine is still not working. Looks like it's just a problem with the Samsung TV app. What can we do about this?

Still nothing here. Plex team, any insights as to why the app isn't working on Samsung TVs?

• sarcassticsarcasstic Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

Having this issue as well on my Sammy K8000 ☹️

• igowasigowas Members, Plex Pass Posts: 73 Plex Pass

Not working on samsung tv too

Over 2 weeks since the Plex app for Samsung stopped working again, which appears to have coincided with an update to the Samsung Plex app. I've found other threads of people have the exact same problem that seems to match up with an update to the app on 4/12. I don't know what the update process is for TV apps and how long they take to get pushed through to customers, but is anyone from Plex working on patching this app?

• brlockbrlock Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

Has anybody been able to work around this issue. I have been experiencing it recently on my Samsung TV as well. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.