If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sky NowTV ( ROKU 3 4200SK ) - Plex app has gone :'-( Is there no way of getting it back?

JimmyCuskellyJimmyCuskelly Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It's not in the App Store, and I can't get into the Developer Mode (doesn't work).
Can anyone help?! Cheers
Tom

Best Answer

Answers

• Mark SMark S Posts: 388Members ✭✭✭

The other "advice" given out was this, do so at your own risk obviously....

You can stop Now TV boxes from automatically applying the update if you haven't already received it. The trick is to get into the "Platform Secret Screen" using a button combination similar to the one that lets you enable developer mode in the first place. From the main homescreen, use the remote to punch in:

Home, Home, Home, Home, Home, Fast Forward, Play, Rewind, Play, Fast Forward

You should end up on the Platform Secret Screen. From there, head into the "System Operations Menu" and "Disable network pings." Close out and everything on the Now TV box should continue to work as normal, it just won't check for platform updates anymore.

I think this is more relevant if you still have Plex TBH.

• JimmyCuskellyJimmyCuskelly Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for your advice Mark, yeah it's a shame I didn't do that before it went (stop the updates)! I'll play around some more with it.. I'm not bothered about the Now TV stuff at all (I don't subscribe) - I just want to use it for Plex on my TV's. I've tried using an amazon fire stick, but I found Plex didn't perform well for me (I figured it was better connected via ethernet as opposed to wifi) :/

I found it doesnt matter what you do, it does nothing. This is just playing for time.
    Get a proper Roku they are much better.

• JimmyCuskellyJimmyCuskelly Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Got one on order already ;) thanks

• SminkypinkSminkypink Posts: 2Members

@Mark S said:
    The other "advice" given out was this, do so at your own risk obviously....

You can stop Now TV boxes from automatically applying the update if you haven't already received it. The trick is to get into the "Platform Secret Screen" using a button combination similar to the one that lets you enable developer mode in the first place. From the main homescreen, use the remote to punch in:

Home, Home, Home, Home, Home, Fast Forward, Play, Rewind, Play, Fast Forward

You should end up on the Platform Secret Screen. From there, head into the "System Operations Menu" and "Disable network pings." Close out and everything on the Now TV box should continue to work as normal, it just won't check for platform updates anymore.

I think this is more relevant if you still have Plex TBH.

Disabling network pings won't stop the update.

You need to block on your router:

update.roku.com
    firmware.roku.com
    windsor.sw.roku.com
    api.roku.com

The software will update eventually although for some strange reason I have a working Now TV box still??

• SminkypinkSminkypink Posts: 2Members

The software can't update if your sending all the requests to 127.0.0.1.

Do you have a smart box? Or just the puck? I think if screensaver is disabled it doesn't try to update.

The things only cost about £20 max, i might recycle them as door stops.

• shawty_ds@yahoo.comshawty_ds@yahoo.com Posts: 1Members

Fear not folks, I have a solution, and I'm currently on writing some software to make it all work.

Here's the rub....

In the NowTV store there is an official app called "PlayTo", this app and it's companion control app for for android/windows/mac etc ALLOW the streaming of content from remote sources.

That is, you can fire up "PlayTo" on your android phone for example, point the app on the phone at EG: "http://themovie/I/want_to_watch.mp4 press play, and it WILL cast it to your NowTV box.

Myself and a group of interested, technically minded folks have worked out exactly how this all works, and the app I'm on writing basically will sit on a laptop or other machine (Windows only at the moment I'm afraid), and will log into your plex media server, and "Send" your plex media to the "PlayTo" app on your NowTV box.

I currently have a closed Google groups discussion forum, where we've been sharing ideas and technical details, and we do have an app that works, but it's far from perfect.

First off, it's still very clumsy, it's a windows desktop app, so only runs on windows. You also need to have a few tech smarts to understand what your doing at the moment, it's definitely not ready for your average joe public person in the street.

What I HOPE to do as soon as time permits is the following:

1) Make it into some kind of a daemon/service type application that you stick on a PC in the cupboard and forget about, then access remotely.

2) Put a web browser style interface on it, so it can be used from ANY device/laptop/pc

3) Make it cross platform (It's currently written in fairly generic C# which means it should compile ok under Mono on a Linux or Mac based machine)

4) Release the code and work done so far on my github account, so that others can start to experiment and expand on the work where doing.

We are also looking at exactly how the boxes talk to their update servers and such like (HINT: there's quite a lot more URL's involved than just those listed above)