If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

FAQ: Limitations and Known Bugs

jwrayjwray Posts: 1,268Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited January 2012 in Plex Classic for Roku
Please read this before reporting an issue!
List of know bugs, limitations and work arounds. If you add to the thread please keep it to new bugs and/or limitations. I'll clean up the thread to keep it that way.

Bugs
- Discovery does not work on Windows based PMS. Fix coming shortly.
- Playback fails silently for some media when on wireless. Work around is to reduce the quality/bandwidth setting until it will play. (Should be fixed with versions 3.x and 4.2 of the Roku firmware.)
- Bad quality for SD content: Bug in ffmeg - http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/26531-playback-issues-potential-fix/
- Linux PMS discovery broken. Fix coming.
- Some people are seeing issues with no content showing up. Looks like an issues with the network interface. Check http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/26326-roku-streaming-stuck-at-retrieving/ for work arounds.
- Initial audio stutter on some media. Quick fast-forward brings things back into sync.
- Media only marked as partially watched after playing
- Aspect ratio is incorrect on some videos (anamorphic?)

Limitations
- No 5.1, only 2 channel (5.1 support may still have some rough edges, but it's there)
- Local network only (for now) (Remote servers work as long as they are pre-9.5.x without authentication. Pre-9.5.x with authentication will not be supported. 9.5.x authentication is done via myPlex which is under development.)
- Video only support for now. Audio and photo support coming.
- myPlex support is not yet implemented.
- No direct play. Looks like people want this. I'll look into adding it.
- Mark as watched needs to be added.
- Folder based navigation (for home movies/etc. without metadata) is currently very limited.
- VOB / TS files cannot be streamed. (Note that this is a limitation of the PMS and not the Roku client, and as such, won't be fixed until the server guys add support for transcoding raw DVD rips. In the interim, use something like MakeMKV to put it into a container format that PMS will work with.)

Jonny
«1

Comments

  • KenJKenJ Posts: 108Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2011
    The Roku client/server Plex setup really Rocks! However, I've noticed a couple of things (one appears to be known, not sure of the other).

    I've setup and installed the Roku client (Roku 1 HD) and Plex server (on an iMac). I'm seeing the handbraked movies but I'm experiencing the following (below):

    1. I only have 5 movies thusfar and all five show up in the "All Movies" category. If I go to the "unwatched" category, the number of movies doubles to 10 (two of each). It stays as 10 even if I go to the "All Movies" category again. Going back and forth between categories doesn't matter, it stays at the wrong number.

    2. Audio out of sync with Video after fast forwarding. I've seen others experience this as well. Bouncing all the way out of Plex back up to the Roku main menu and back in corrects it. [I'm recording the movies with audio set to AC3 pass-thru].

    Any suggestions to address these? Different encoding (for audio problem)?

    Ken
  • dead.electricdead.electric Posts: 18Members
    FYI for anyone struggling with the audio out of sync problem or transcoding artifacts:

    Both of these problems went away once I re-encoded all my files in Handbrake with:

    RF=20
    Video = H.264
    Audio = AC3 FAAC, Dolby Pro Logic II mixdown (which is the best you can do with 2-channel, I believe)
    Advanced Settings: add string "level=40", this forces Handbrake to keep the H.264 level <= 4.0

    Pretty sure these are all direct streaming now and look great (to my eyes, I'm not really a video quality snob).

    By the way, I was mainly getting the artifacts with .mkv files that were MakeMKV outputs with 5.1 sound. I have some .avi's and .wmv's as well and those seem to transcode fine. I think the DVD format is extra taxing on the CPU or GPU or something and my computer couldn't quite keep up.
  • MegaCleanCabMegaCleanCab Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I have seen the following 3 issues on the Roku client but not on my IOS or PC client.
    1. There are no show names in the recently aired list. This makes it difficult to find what you want to watch
    2. Shows end with a minute or two left. Mostly on MKV tv shows.
    3. There is glitching on the lower half or my screen during most episodes.
    I have the XS with the latest software and connect via Ethernet. My mediaserver is windows quad core and 8 gb of ram. It mainly runs sickbeard and Sabnzbd. The videos are stored on a WHS and accessed via a mapped drive. Please fix these in order :-) LOL. I love plex, I run it everywhere.

    Thanks
  • mcleminsonmcleminson Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I have seen the following 3 issues on the Roku client but not on my IOS or PC client.
    1. There are no show names in the recently aired list. This makes it difficult to find what you want to watch
    2. Shows end with a minute or two left. Mostly on MKV tv shows.
    3. There is glitching on the lower half or my screen during most episodes.
    I have the XS with the latest software and connect via Ethernet. My mediaserver is windows quad core and 8 gb of ram. It mainly runs sickbeard and Sabnzbd. The videos are stored on a WHS and accessed via a mapped drive. Please fix these in order :-) LOL. I love plex, I run it everywhere.

    Thanks


    My setup pretty much mirrors yours. The only difference being that my windows 7 machine is connected to my network via wireless and my media is attached locally via USB. For the main part its ok, but the 5% of the time I get pixelation in a certain patch and as you mentioned, I get this band approx 10% at the bottom of my TV that seems to be blurry and will then cleat itself.
  • stormeriderstormerider Posts: 759Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    chi1 wrote:

    I've read all the posts and I'm still having issues. My Roku XS sees my movies, but when I click play, it says retrieving, gets about halfway through, and then just goes back to the title page. I've disabled the compatability checking and have restarted my computer as you've suggested in a prior post; still no luck. Any suggestions? I'm using a ThinkPad running Windows 7 as my media manager. Thanks.


    I'd look at the PMS log and see what it shows. The wiki should have the info for where it's located (under AppData/Local/Plex/Plex Media Server if I recall).
    Former member of the Plex for Roku development team

    Units Owned: Roku 1 XD, Roku 2 XS

    watched-fanart.jpg
  • stormeriderstormerider Posts: 759Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I have seen the following 3 issues on the Roku client but not on my IOS or PC client.
    1. There are no show names in the recently aired list. This makes it difficult to find what you want to watch
    2. Shows end with a minute or two left. Mostly on MKV tv shows.
    3. There is glitching on the lower half or my screen during most episodes.
    I have the XS with the latest software and connect via Ethernet. My mediaserver is windows quad core and 8 gb of ram. It mainly runs sickbeard and Sabnzbd. The videos are stored on a WHS and accessed via a mapped drive. Please fix these in order :-) LOL. I love plex, I run it everywhere.

    Thanks


    1. There's already a feature request for that.
    2. Can you try a different client (such as Laika) and see if the behavior occurs in that as well?
    3. That sounds like the known issue with Roku 2 units and the 4.2 firmware.
    Former member of the Plex for Roku development team

    Units Owned: Roku 1 XD, Roku 2 XS

    watched-fanart.jpg
  • stormeriderstormerider Posts: 759Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Cleaned up this thread; it was a bit out of control at 5 pages. Again, please only post new bugs or limitations here. Opening a thread to troubleshoot and then reporting a confirmed bug here is best. Thanks!
    Former member of the Plex for Roku development team

    Units Owned: Roku 1 XD, Roku 2 XS

    watched-fanart.jpg
  • audixs4x01audixs4x01 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Hi, so far I love my new Roku XDS with plex channel. It plays every single file I have thrown at it (particularly 1080p mkv files) which I love. However, I have two issues:

    1. My Roku never plans a complete TV episode. It always cuts out the last minute of it. It will play through the entire episode flawlessly but cut out the end and I cannot finish watching the episode unless I go to my mac and watch it through plex on there.

    and

    2. This happens rarely, but sometimes in the middle of watching a video, it will start to hum loudly and will go into fast forward on its own.

    If anyone has any input or is experiencing the same issues it would be great to hear from you so I know it's not just me. Thanks!!

    -Dan
  • jgrietveldjgrietveld Posts: 4Members
    Hi Jonny and Alan,

    Fantastic work on the Roku Plex player. Thanks for all your efforts!

    I noticed two things that I didn't see on your list of known issues:

    1. Not all Channels are added to the Video Tab. I'm trying to add "Uitzending Gemist" to it. It does allow me to install it, but that's all i can do. (The Channel works perfectly on my Android phone)

    2. The Plex Channel doesn't work in Europe, only the PlexBeta channel (I'm using the device in Europe - Netherlands & Ireland). I'm not sure if there are any differences, but from a comment form Alan on a different thread I understand this is just a matter of adding more countries to the channel entry on Roku (sorry if I completely underestimate this)...

    That's it. Thanks again guys!

    Cheers
    Jerry
  • stormeriderstormerider Posts: 759Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    jgrietveld wrote:

    Hi Jonny and Alan,

    Fantastic work on the Roku Plex player. Thanks for all your efforts!

    I noticed two things that I didn't see on your list of known issues:

    1. Not all Channels are added to the Video Tab. I'm trying to add "Uitzending Gemist" to it. It does allow me to install it, but that's all i can do. (The Channel works perfectly on my Android phone)


    Have you disabled compatibility checking? That's my first thought when it comes to some channels not being displayed.

    jgrietveld wrote:

    2. The Plex Channel doesn't work in Europe, only the PlexBeta channel (I'm using the device in Europe - Netherlands & Ireland). I'm not sure if there are any differences, but from a comment form Alan on a different thread I understand this is just a matter of adding more countries to the channel entry on Roku (sorry if I completely underestimate this)...

    That's it. Thanks again guys!

    Cheers
    Jerry


    Yeah, that's a known issue since Roku reworked the channel stores to be region specific. We need to push a new update to get it to show up in the new market segments, and it's a matter of finding the right person with the access to do that at this point. We're working on it, but at least you have the Beta channel to fall back to in the mean time.
    Former member of the Plex for Roku development team

    Units Owned: Roku 1 XD, Roku 2 XS

    watched-fanart.jpg
  • jgrietveldjgrietveld Posts: 4Members
    Hi Alan, thanks for your reply! I've disabled compatibility checking and now all my channels are appearing and working perfectly!

    One other thing. I've a number of DVD5 movies and shows in my PMS (folder with AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folder). These play on my Mac no problem but the Plex player on my Roku cancels playback early in the buffering process without showing anything. Not sure if this is a common issue or just happening for me, but I thought I let you know about this.

    Thanks again!!

    Jerry
  • Same here TS_VIDEO files don't want to play. They will start to retrieve and fail.
  • stormeriderstormerider Posts: 759Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    VOB / TS files are not supported by PMS. It's not an issue with the Roku client, it's an issue that the Plex server doesn't support transcoding them. I can add that to the limitation list if it will make things clearer to folks, but it's not a Roku limitation, it's a PMS limitation.
    Former member of the Plex for Roku development team

    Units Owned: Roku 1 XD, Roku 2 XS

    watched-fanart.jpg
  • jgrietveldjgrietveld Posts: 4Members
    Hi Alan,

    Thanks for the clarification, I didn't know that was the case. Thanks again for all you work on this!!

    Cheers,
    Jerry
  • rickjrickj Posts: 4Members
    Jonny Wray wrote:

    List of know bugs, limitations and work arounds. If you add to the thread please keep it to new bugs and/or limitations. I'll clean up the thread to keep it that way.

    Bugs
    - Discovery does not work on Windows based PMS. Fix coming shortly.
    - Playback fails silently for some media when on wireless. Work around is to reduce the quality/bandwidth setting until it will play. (Should be fixed with versions 3.x and 4.2 of the Roku firmware.)
    - Bad quality for SD content: Bug in ffmeg - http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/26531-playback-issues-potential-fix/
    - Linux PMS discovery broken. Fix coming.
    - Some people are seeing issues with no content showing up. Looks like an issues with the network interface. Check http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/26326-roku-streaming-stuck-at-retrieving/ for work arounds.
    - Initial audio stutter on some media. Quick fast-forward brings things back into sync.
    - Media only marked as partially watched after playing
    - Aspect ratio is incorrect on some videos (anamorphic?)

    Limitations
    - No 5.1, only 2 channel (5.1 support may still have some rough edges, but it's there)
    - Local network only (for now) (Remote servers work as long as they are pre-9.5.x without authentication. Pre-9.5.x with authentication will not be supported. 9.5.x authentication is done via myPlex which is under development.)
    - Video only support for now. Audio and photo support coming.
    - myPlex support is not yet implemented.
    - No direct play. Looks like people want this. I'll look into adding it.
    - Mark as watched needs to be added.
    - Folder based navigation (for home movies/etc. without metadata) is currently very limited.
    - VOB / TS files cannot be streamed. (Note that this is a limitation of the PMS and not the Roku client, and as such, won't be fixed until the server guys add support for transcoding raw DVD rips. In the interim, use something like MakeMKV to put it into a container format that PMS will work with.)

    Jonny


    I am not sure if there is any voting on these issues but the audio stutter bug is definitely #1 on this list for me. It is doable to rewind or fast-forward to fix the audio, but it is especially annoying as I usually have to wait 30 seconds or so before I rewind for it to work (rewind is more dependable for me by the way). Is there a ranking of these issues and/or a tentative implementation schedule?

    Other than that bug I am able to watch ABC, ESPN, Hulu (and MyHulu), CBS without any trouble.
  • stormeriderstormerider Posts: 759Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    rickj75 wrote:

    I am not sure if there is any voting on these issues but the audio stutter bug is definitely #1 on this list for me. It is doable to rewind or fast-forward to fix the audio, but it is especially annoying as I usually have to wait 30 seconds or so before I rewind for it to work (rewind is more dependable for me by the way). Is there a ranking of these issues and/or a tentative implementation schedule?

    Other than that bug I am able to watch ABC, ESPN, Hulu (and MyHulu), CBS without any trouble.


    Can you reliably reproduce the stutter bug? I haven't been able to, and that's no good for trying to fix it.

    On github we mark issues with milestones we think we can get them done. One of the core Plex guys is jumping into the fray and helping out, which is greatly appreciated.
    Former member of the Plex for Roku development team

    Units Owned: Roku 1 XD, Roku 2 XS

    watched-fanart.jpg
  • rickjrickj Posts: 4Members

    Can you reliably reproduce the stutter bug? I haven't been able to, and that's no good for trying to fix it.

    On github we mark issues with milestones we think we can get them done. One of the core Plex guys is jumping into the fray and helping out, which is greatly appreciated.


    Yes, it happens every single time when I watch an episode on either Hulu or ABC. It is especially bad on Hulu where I need to do it following any commercial break. I am by no means an expert, but the change in video quality that Hulu tries to do for a commercial seems to cause the issue again.

    Here are my specs (that I can think of off the top of my head):

    Roku 1
    PlexBeta Channel (v1.7.6)
    Mac OS 10.5.8
    iMac 8,1
    2.66 GHz
    Plex 9.2.7 (I recently downgraded from 9.3.4 to see if would resolve the issue but still same problem)

    I am only running 9.2.7 because 9.5.2 does not support Leopard and have been procrastinating on upgrading to Snow Leopard or Lion. Coll that it is on github. I also am a developer on github (no experience with video though) and will see if I can find the project (my github handle is rickjohnson)

    I must also say that in general this plugin totally rocks and I was this close to getting a Mac Mini for HTPC but have no reason to now :)

    Rick
  • stormeriderstormerider Posts: 759Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    rickj75 wrote:

    Yes, it happens every single time when I watch an episode on either Hulu or ABC. It is especially bad on Hulu where I need to do it following any commercial break. I am by no means an expert, but the change in video quality that Hulu tries to do for a commercial seems to cause the issue again.

    Here are my specs (that I can think of off the top of my head):

    Roku 1
    PlexBeta Channel (v1.7.6)
    Mac OS 10.5.8
    iMac 8,1
    2.66 GHz
    Plex 9.2.7 (I recently downgraded from 9.3.4 to see if would resolve the issue but still same problem)

    I am only running 9.2.7 because 9.5.2 does not support Leopard and have been procrastinating on upgrading to Snow Leopard or Lion. Coll that it is on github. I also am a developer on github (no experience with video though) and will see if I can find the project (my github handle is rickjohnson)

    I must also say that in general this plugin totally rocks and I was this close to getting a Mac Mini for HTPC but have no reason to now :)

    Rick


    Ok, you're getting the audio stutter on Plex channels, not local content? Not sure how much I can help you there. The channels are very subject to latency and adequately buffering when you're retrieving an external source via a Proxy (PMS in this case) is very difficult.

    Are you experiencing this on any local content, or is it just channels that show the issue? Also, have you tried disabling 5.1 support in Plex under the tweaks option?
    Former member of the Plex for Roku development team

    Units Owned: Roku 1 XD, Roku 2 XS

    watched-fanart.jpg
  • rickjrickj Posts: 4Members

    Ok, you're getting the audio stutter on Plex channels, not local content? Not sure how much I can help you there. The channels are very subject to latency and adequately buffering when you're retrieving an external source via a Proxy (PMS in this case) is very difficult.

    Are you experiencing this on any local content, or is it just channels that show the issue? Also, have you tried disabling 5.1 support in Plex under the tweaks option?


    No the local content does not have the problem. Some plugins do not have the problem like CNN plays beautifully. I recently just saw the 1.7.6 version last night, is disabling 5.1 support something new? I have my roku to set always be on Stereo and did try it on 5.1 but can try changing it back. I also noticed that in the notes that 5.1 is only supported for Roku 2 and I have Roku 1.

    It does seem to be better if something has buffered longer (like I noticed playing something again did not have the problem and maybe it is caching something). Would there be a way to increase how much it buffers before starting?
  • stormeriderstormerider Posts: 759Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I'm not really sure how the buffering is handled for channels. They're still a bit of a fringe feature at this point.

    I'm much more concerned about this issue with local content instead of remote content. Fixing that may fix the other issue as a byproduct.
    Former member of the Plex for Roku development team

    Units Owned: Roku 1 XD, Roku 2 XS

    watched-fanart.jpg
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.