Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex iOS won't show movie's video but plays audio

thirdgen89gtathirdgen89gta Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

I've run into a problem where some titles won't display the video when you start playing a movie in the iOS Plex App. Pics Below.

An example would be Age of Adeline which I have encoded using Handbrake HEVC 8bit with pass-thru AC3 audio.

On the iOS app when I start playing the movie, the audio starts playing no problem, but only the Movie Poster is displayed, the video is completely absent. Force quiting and deleting the iOS app doesn't change this problem. And the movie will play from the iOS Safari instance without issue, same on my other devices.

I don't have another iOS device to test this on.

The same movie plays fine in Web Browsers, Xbox One Plex app, HTPC running Plex Media Player both Mac and Windows.

I'm considering re-ripping the movie to see if its the movie itself.

Media

Video Resolution 1080p
Duration 1:52:29
Bitrate 6045 kbps
Width 1920
Height 800
Aspect Ratio 2.35
Container MP4
Video Frame Rate 24p
Web Optimized No
Has 64bit Offsets 1
Video Profile main
Part

Duration 1:52:29
File The Age of Adaline (2015).m4v
Size 4.75 GB
Container MP4
Has 64bit Offsets 1
Has Chapter Text Stream 1
Has Thumbnail 1
Indexes sd
Web Optimized No
Video Profile main
Codec HEVC
Bitrate 5393 kbps
Bit Depth 8
Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
Color Range tv
Color Space bt709
Frame Rate 23.976 fps
Height 800
Level 12.0
Profile main
Ref Frames 1
Stream Identifier 1
Width 1920
Codec AC3
Channels 5.1
Bitrate 640 kbps
Language English
Audio Channel Layout 5.1(side)
Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
Stream Identifier 2

Plex Server:
FreeNAS PBI Plex Plugin running latest PBI release: Version 1.3.4.3285
iOS app is latest release available from App Store. Build 9741.

Answers

• plex-linuxplex-linux Members, Plex Pass Posts: 191 Plex Pass

I have also had this problem once in a while , I had to change my quality down to 720 to make it work -not ideal but at least i could watch the movie

• chaosmakerchaosmaker Members, Plex Pass Posts: 315 Plex Pass

I'm sure the iOS app doesn't support HEVC as direct play (but I might be wrong of course). It could be that the server isn't handling it correctly but if you ask it to transcode (i.e. by lowering quality) then it should display the video.

• thirdgen89gtathirdgen89gta Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass
    edited March 20

@chaosmaker said:
    I'm sure the iOS app doesn't support HEVC as direct play (but I might be wrong of course). It could be that the server isn't handling it correctly but if you ask it to transcode (i.e. by lowering quality) then it should display the video.

One of the things I did check was changing it so that it lowered the quality to force a transcode. That didn't fix the video issue.

I have a ton of movies that use both HEVC 8Bit and 10Bit encoding, the server seems to handle HEVC flavors well in most situations. I only have a few movies that seem to do this, and by a few I mean I've only encountered it 3 times, and I'm having trouble remembering what the other 2 movies were.

I'm not sure what logs would be most helpful to provide.

As a general rule now, I usually encode ALL movies to HEVC 10bit. I know that 10bit uses a bit more space, but I like how it handles gradients and shadows better. Its particularly good at 2D animation, removing the banding effects I get with 8bit. I'm okay with the extra CPU needed to transcode this for Web clients and other devices.

The server is FreeNAS using i7-4790k with 32GB of ram and a Plex jail. If I want it can transcode about 8 movies simultaneously. Sometimes it will do 9 depending the source format.

• chaosmakerchaosmaker Members, Plex Pass Posts: 315 Plex Pass

Hmm that is definitely odd. I'd want to see both Plex server logs and iOS logs but I wonder if you could share a 30s piece of video that doesn't work on your system and I have look on my iOS devices.

I just checked. H265 8bit on plex ios is direct play.> @plex-linux said:

I have also had this problem once in a while , I had to change my quality down to 720 to make it work -not ideal but at least i could watch the movie

I just tried this, and changing to 720p 4Mbps allowed the video to play. Choosing however anything with a 1080p option did not allow the video to play.

I looked for another HEVC 8bit file to check, and Book of Eli did not have the same issue. I could play it with "Original 1080P" selected.

Here is the XML info for Book of Eli.
    Media

Video Resolution 1080p
    Duration 1:57:42
    Bitrate 5939 kbps
    Width 1920
    Height 800
    Aspect Ratio 2.35
    Container MP4
    Video Frame Rate 24p
    Web Optimized No
    Audio Profile dts
    Has 64bit Offsets 1
    Video Profile main
    Part

Duration 1:57:42
    File The Book of Eli (2010).m4v
    Size 4.88 GB
    Audio Profile dts
    Container MP4
    Has 64bit Offsets 1
    Has Chapter Text Stream 1
    Has Thumbnail 1
    Indexes sd
    Web Optimized No
    Video Profile main
    Codec HEVC
    Bitrate 2481 kbps
    Bit Depth 8
    Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
    Color Range tv
    Color Space bt709
    Frame Rate 23.976 fps
    Height 800
    Level 12.0
    Profile main
    Ref Frames 1
    Stream Identifier 1
    Width 1920
    Codec DCA
    Channels 5.1
    Bitrate 1536 kbps
    Language English
    Audio Channel Layout 5.1(side)
    Profile dts
    Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
    Stream Identifier 2

@chaosmaker said:
    Hmm that is definitely odd. I'd want to see both Plex server logs and iOS logs but I wonder if you could share a 30s piece of video that doesn't work on your system and I have look on my iOS devices.

Not sure how I'd share a 30s clip out without transcoding it somehow.

I have a feeling that re-encoding Age of Adeline will fix this particular issue since I can't repeat it with any other HEVC 8bit stuff so far. I'm going through my library now, but there isn't really a filter for HEVC 8bit in plex to single them out easily.

Okay, I figured this out as to what files will have the issues.

Anything HEVC 8Bit when it direct plays video.

It looks like the only files that will cause the no video issue are HEVC 8bit files with AC3 audio tracks. For some reason these will direct play.

However, something with HEVC 8bit and a AAC audio track forces Plex to transcode the video (though it plays the audio as direct play.).

I don't know why the audio track would force Plex to use either direct play, or transcode.

But HEVC 8bit direct play video is the problem.

So if HEVC 8bit video is an issue, I don't know why the iOS plex app allows direct play of that format. It should force the Plex server to transcode the video to a compatible format.

edited March 21

So, a work around would be to disable direct play in the iOS app via the Advanced preferences. As this would force all video content to transcode.