Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD passthru Intel NUC6i3SYH PMP Embedded

zkerstenszkerstens Posts: 35Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm sorry if this has been covered already in the forum, but I cannot find an answer. I'm currently running PMP 1.2.3 and I cannot get DTS-HD Master or Dolby TrueHD to passthru to my receiver. When I play a movie in either format, I get PCM 2.0 audio output, however, if I uncheck either DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD in the audio settings, I do see standard DTS or Dolby Digital audio.

Has anyone experienced the same? If so, suggestions to get it working?

I swear I had this working in an a previous version of PMP. Did a recent update break this functionality?

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• zkerstenszkerstens Posts: 35Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for that information. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. I know this worked at one point. Is this problem due to a recent upgrade to the underlying LibreElec?

Is there any NUC hardware that is currently working? Maybe it's time to upgrade my NUC.

I really like the idea of a "Plex appliance" for my home theater, but these types issues are getting frustrating. I also don't want deal with having to purchase licensing and the bloat that comes with Windows.

Would the Nvidia shield TV be a viable alternative for high quality Non-transcoded movie watching?

• AchillesAchilles Posts: 1,804Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited March 19

Apologies. I made a mistake. You are using a 6th Gen NUC. I was tired and thought I saw 7th Gen. Please post logs and plexmediaplayer.conf files and I will take a look.

I've uploaded plexmediaplayer.conf.txt. Sorry, not Linux expert, how do I get logs off the player?

Thanks for your help.

• wesmanwesman Posts: 602Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 19

@Ach!lles said:
    Apologies. I made a mistake you are using a 6th Gen NUC. I was tired and thought I saw 7th Gen. Please post logs and plexmediaplayer.conf files and I will take a look.

Still your statement is not entirely true.

Yes, part of the fix needs to be addressed by Intel (via the HDMI 2.0 output that uses that LSPCon chip) HOWEVER the problem still exist using the Club Adaptor that does not use that chip (So, not intel)

Also, Given that the OP is seeing exactly the same issue and same symptoms, on an unrelated box with a different chip, it appears much more likely that this is a Plex Issue.

@vlang is there anything I can provide to help track this down?

• SchnenzSchnenz Posts: 2Members

Hi Guys.
    I´m following that issue since a while.
    This is the forum you have to follow.
    https://communities.intel.com/thread/110994?start=105&tstart=0

last status from Intel:
    "We're working on it! This has been escalated to Megachips so we await until they have a fix for us."

Personal I have one NUC6CAYH incl. 8GB RAM + 120GB SSD only for PMP.
    PMP 1.2.3
    embedded: 8.0
    Plex 2.13.1

Currently i´m facing several issues.

• no HD Audio support - have to be fixed by Intel, driver issue
    • no native frame rate support / linked to the audio issue - have to be fixed by Intel
    • Logitech Harmony support: Profile: NUC5
      Power Toggle -> NUC starts = OK
      Power Toggle -> shut down = don´t work

• UHD HEVC 10bit support:
      I testes several HEVC files. Global feedback:
      1080p HEVC 8bit up to 15Mbps = works
      UHD HEVC 10bit up to 40Mbps = massive drop frames

@wesman said:

@Ach!lles said:
    Apologies. I made a mistake you are using a 6th Gen NUC. I was tired and thought I saw 7th Gen. Please post logs and plexmediaplayer.conf files and I will take a look.

Yes, part of the fix needs to be addressed by Intel (via the HDMI 2.0 output that uses that LSPCon chip) HOWEVER the problem still exist using the Club Adaptor that does not use that chip (So, not intel)

Also, Given that the OP is seeing exactly the same issue and same symptoms, on an unrelated box with a different chip, it appears much more likely that this is a Plex Issue.

@wesman I retracted my statement to him and struck it out. His NUC is not the 7th gen. This has nothing to do with the LSPCon -- hence the request for his logs and configs.

edited March 18

@zkerstens said:
    I've uploaded plexmediaplayer.conf.txt. Sorry, not Linux expert, how do I get logs off the player?

Thanks for your help.

It is in the log directory at the same location as the config file.

I know where the logs are, but how do you suggest getting them off the nuc so I can upload?

@zkerstens said:
    I know where the logs are, but how do you suggest getting them off the nuc so I can upload?

If you're using Windows just zip this directory and upload it.
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\PlexMediaPlayer\logs\

Embedded is located here.
    /storage/.local/share/plexmediaplayer/logs/
    but you'll have to use SSH to get them off

@zkerstens said:

What OS are you using for a computer?

@zkerstens I believe its possible your config has the wrong device selected. Your device type is set for HDMI and that is correct. However this is what I see for device in your config:

"device": "alsa/hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0",

I think it should read:

"device": "alsa/hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=0",

Can you execute the command aplay -L and paste the output here?

edited March 18

@wesman said:

@Ach!lles said:

@wesman Please update one of your threads or create a new one if you want to track the state of the Apollo Lake and Kaby Lake NUCs. I need to clear up some confusion regarding that--but let's not hijack the OP's thread as he is using a Skylake NUC with HDMI1.4 and this issue is just due to the correct device not being selected.

@wesman I split our conversation from the RC1 thread and created a new thread for further discussion and troubleshooting.
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/263888/tracking-pmp-functionality-with-apollo-lake-and-kaby-lake-nucs/p2

edited March 19

@Ach!lles I will take a look at your suggestion later tonight. Thanks for helping.

PlexMediaPlayer:~ # aplay -L
    null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
    default:CARD=PCH
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC283 Analog
    Default Audio Device
    sysdefault:CARD=PCH
    Default Audio Device
    front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    Front speakers
    surround21:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
    surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
    surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround50:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
    surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround71:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
    hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
    hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
    HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1
    HDMI Audio Output
    hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=2
    HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 2
    HDMI Audio Output

Does anyone have bootable images for previous versions of PMP Embedded? I would be willing to try doing clean installs of previous releases to see if this issue is related to bug in PMP recent update(s).

Same issue on 1.1.7.497-26aa702b

edited March 19

@zkerstens Seems you do have the right device selected.
    Under Settings | Audio | Channels -- what is that set to?

@zkerstens

My configuration for audio in plexmediaplayer.conf

"audio": { "allowAC3": false, "allowDCA": false, "allowEAC3": false, "audioBoost": 100, "channels": "auto", "device": "alsa/hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=0", "devicetype": "hdmi", "exclusive": false, "normalize": false, "passthrough.ac3": true, "passthrough.dts": true, "passthrough.dts-hd": true, "passthrough.eac3": true, "passthrough.truehd": true

Your configuration for audio in plexmediaplayer.conf

"audio": { "allowAC3": false, "allowDCA": false, "allowEAC3": false, "audioBoost": 100, "channels": "7.1,5.1,2.0", "device": "alsa/hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0", "devicetype": "hdmi", "exclusive": false, "normalize": false, "passthrough.ac3": true, "passthrough.dts": true, "passthrough.dts-hd": true, "passthrough.eac3": true, "passthrough.truehd": true

I would say look at that channel setting in the GUI and see how its set. If adjusting it in the GUI doesn't change anything, maybe you can simply change it from "channels": "7.1,5.1,2.0", to "channels": "auto", in plexmediaplayer.conf and see if that resolves it for you.