We will be performing plex.tv database server maintenance starting 22:00 Pacific Time on Wednesday, June 28 (05:00 GMT, June 29). It is expected to last ~1.5 hours. See http://status.plex.tv/incidents/c1t6djj5vq9r
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Video Stops Playing after ~8 to ~12 minutes

NBStwoNBStwo Members Posts: 6
First having a great time...... great product.......

The server is running just fine as I have downed and I am using the Android App on a Nexus One with no issues..... works perfectly so far......

I am using a Roku XR over WiFI...... the same local WiFi system that I am running/testing the Android App...... so I truly believe the server (running off a MacPro desktop) via Apple AirExtreme is working properly.

The issue I am having with the Roku XR is after playing any video (have tried mix types on different drives) 8 to 12 minutes the video just stops and the screen reverts back to selection page...... it even politely remembers the point where it ended/stopped........ so I can just select "Resume from......" and pick up where I left off ........ how nice *grin*....... of course having to restart every 10 minutes +/- is kinda of a drag ;-)

Let me know if you need any other information to help out........ just love the Android product........ now off to figure out port forwarding and all that good stuff.......

Thanks so much for your efforts .......

Kevin

Comments

• mandersomanderso Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass
    The same thing is happening to me for any video I start playing. I'm connected via a wired network to a Core i7 iMac, and the Roku is able to view the videos fine using Roksbox.One thing I haven't been able to test yet is the connection speed, it's still set to Auto.
    Thanks for a great looking client. I'm looking forward to this working, because I think this will be the replacement to Tivo when it happens.
  • jwrayjwray Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,268 Plex Pass
    This is frigging weird. I have literally been using just the Roku over wifi (and not a fast one) for the last two weeks and have seen non of these issues, or the other people are seeing. All episodes play fine to the end for me.

Jonny
    I have the server installed on my iMac, which is sharing videos that are stored on my Windows Home Server, on the same subnet. Do I need the videos encoded in any specific format?
    When the stream starts, the CPU kicks up a little bit, then settles down. I don't see any extra CPU usage when the video stops.
    Is there any logging I can look at and send you?
    Once again, thanks for the effort.
    No, the Plex media server will transcode your media to a format supported by the Roku (or any other client for that matter).

This sounds like the iMac is going to sleep and transcoding stops, or it's loosing the connection to the share - basically something telling PMS to stop what it's doing. I have this vaugue memory that I turned sleeping off on my Mini when I first set up my Plex box. I'll look around and ask some people, see if there are any known issues along those lines.

Thanks for the offer of help, I may well take you up on it if and when needed.

Jonny

manderso wrote:

I have the server installed on my iMac, which is sharing videos that are stored on my Windows Home Server, on the same subnet. Do I need the videos encoded in any specific format?
    When the stream starts, the CPU kicks up a little bit, then settles down. I don't see any extra CPU usage when the video stops.
    Is there any logging I can look at and send you?
    Once again, thanks for the effort.
    That's not happening in this instance, I don't have sleep turned on. It wouldn't be the screensaver, would it?
    I honestly don't know, I'm sort of guessing, and I need to talk to some other people to see if they've seen anything before that could cause this behavior.

But, it's worth trying to see?

manderso wrote:

That's not happening in this instance, I don't have sleep turned on. It wouldn't be the screensaver, would it?
  • ClarkDVClarkDV Members Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Exact same issue here, Roku XDS, running on Wifi. PMS running on a 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac running Snow Leopard, 2GB of RAM, Plex 0.9.2.7, with a 1TB USB hard drive connected that holds all my media.

Quality set to Auto in Roku onscreen settings, I can't set any other quality level, it never takes.

Video plays for 9 minutes or so then stops and goes back to video info page, showing a time stamp of where I can resume playing from (which is always a minute or so PAST where it actually stopped playing).

I did some testing and logging and here are my results.

1) Turning off Hard Drive sleep on the iMac had no effect.

2) Tested 5 different files, all Divx .avi files, ranging from 700kbit/s data rate of the original file up to 1950kbit/s.

3) Watching Activity Monitor on the iMac, ffmpeg shows these specs 170% of CPU | 13 Threads | 26MB of Real Memory | Intel (64 bit)
    (I'm guessing ffmpeg is handling the transcode duties. When playback stops ffmpeg disappears.)

4) Even though the CPUs are maxed out, all temperatures inside the iMac never got over 120 degrees Fahrenheit.

5) I copied one of the test files to the iMac's internal hard drive just to verify whether coming from the USB drive had any role in the issue. Same thing, plays for a few minutes and then stops.

6) I have Console and PMS logs for the above tests if anyone wants to take a look.

Thanks!
  • nwgeeknwgeek Members, Plex Pass Posts: 21 Plex Pass
    First of all, thank you for the efforts, this is truly an awesome port of Plex to do!

I am having the same issue with stopped playback myself:

Roku HD (literally just bought it because of this Plex port). PMS running on a 2.93 Quad core i7 iMac running SNow Leopard, 12gb of ram, PMS 0.9.2.7-ff76e66, media on an external 2TB USB drive. Roku is connected to a standard def 27" tube TV via composite cables (no HDMI in that thing). Roku is plugged in via Ethernet to a switch that is in turn connected to the iMac upstairs on a second switch (both are gigabit).

Attempting to play MKV files of standard DVD rips. I've ripped my collections of Star Trek and Star Gate DVD's via MakeMKV. Also attempted to play a couple of DVD movie rips as well as a few AVI and MP4 files. None of my stuff is higher thank 480p at the moment. For the most part videos will play about 8-12 mins and then just dump out to the menu. Some will play all the way through but that is rare. I've been using this same setup with the AppleTV 2 client flawlessly as well as streaming to my iPad with no dropouts. I had the issue on wireless out of the gate so I hooked it up to ethernet this morning and continue to have the issue. I've tried "Auto" and the various other levels to no avail, they all seem to dump out. Everything else about the Roku plays fine (netflix, other services). I'm happy to provide logs or whatever may help troubleshoot. I love to see my Plex media in the bedroom now but I just can't play it consistently yet :)

I knew it was beta when I got the Roku so I'm not ticked off or anything but I am happy to help test for you in any way I can.
  • erik.osterholmerik.osterholm Members, Plex Pass Posts: 19 Plex Pass
    Count me among those having this same problem. I've gone as long as an hour before the playback stops, but most of the time, it's around 10 minutes. I'd be happy to do anything to help debug.
  • aawhyteaawhyte Members Posts: 2
    edited May 2011
    +1 here also for the 10 minute viewing section. As the OP already stated it will kick you out and allow you to resume from the minute where it kicked you out. And if you need anything checked I will also try to help out the best I can.

I have watched video's as long as 30 minutes without being kicked out. I have not found a common for the ones where I get kicked out yet. I would say 50% kick me out after 10 minutes, 25% play just fine, and the other 25% won't even start playing.

I have something very similar set up for my Tivo's. I have three of them, and use a program that runs python and ffmpeg. That program works on about 85% of everything I can download.

Oh everything I have is wired. Roku included.

Great work so far! Looking very good. I hate to throw questions in but I'm going to. I didn't see this in the help or FAQ, is there a way to update a section when you add a movie to a folder? I can't seem to get Flex to update the movies and show the new movie I put in the folder on the HD?

Anyway if I can help just let me know.
    edited May 2011
    Can all you guys fire up Activity Monitor (Applications>Utilities>Activity Monitor - Show: All Processes) on your Mac and report back here whether ffmpeg is doing the trancoding? I actually had the ffmpegx application and binaries installed on my iMac but I'd like to know if ffmpeg does the transcoding on a Mac that doesn't have the ffmpegx app installed or if it uses something else for the transcoding.

Thanks.

OK, nevermind, I just learned that ffmpeg does, indeed, do all the transcoding. It's just coincidence that I had the ffmpegx app installed.
    I just read this in another thread, it concerns how ffmpeg handles Direct Streaming to the AppleTV. The fact that it transcodes a typical 2 hour movie in 5-7 minutes, and then shuts down is what caught my eye.

Could it be that in our instances that ffmpeg is shutting down because it is actually finished with its work, but somehow it's inadvertently deleting the buffer when it stops, which causes playback to stop?

Just an idea from someone who knows not the inner workings.

Here's the original thread:

<<<<

The Plex client already does this with the new "Direct Streaming" feature of PMS. PMS demuxes/remuxes the file on the fly and send it to the ATV (if the video can be natively played). Direct Streaming uses very little CPU and does not affect the video quality of the file at all. On a typical 2 hours 720p movie FFMPEG spends about 5-7 minutes demuxing/remuxing and then FFMPEG shuts down. This should already be happening with your movies if the video is H.264 and has a reasonable bitrate (<8mbps)

>>>>
  • unblowupable5unblowupable5 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 380 Plex Pass
    I am having the same issue. I've tried a few movies (all SD m4v files) and keep getting kicked out after 5-10 minutes. Like others have mentioned, it remembers where it left off.
    I found a solution!

While reading other threads here I found one about ffmpeg unexpectedly quitting. Elan posted a different version of the ffmpeg module and I downloaded and installed it and now my videos play all the way through. THey still do that weird jumbled segments playback thing when the video first starts playing but then it settles down.

But it plays all the way, no stopping!!

This is the forum thread with the link to ffmpeg fix.

Scroll down to entry #7, it's from elan, and has a link to an "updated transcoder". Download that, unzip it, and then install it per Elan's path. If you're new to Mac or don't know how to install a file into an application, entry #11 of that same thread has specific instructions for where/how to install the file.

Like I said, the jumping around at first issue is still there so this isn't the ultimate fix, but it solved the playback stoppage issue on my iMac.

Thanks Elan!
  • sinlesssinless Members, Plex Pass Posts: 56 Plex Pass
    ClarkDV wrote:

I found a solution!

While reading other threads here I found one about ffmpeg unexpectedly quitting. Elan posted a different version of the ffmpeg module and I downloaded and installed it and now my videos play all the way through. THey still do that weird jumbled segments playback thing when the video first starts playing but then it settles down.

But it plays all the way, no stopping!!

This is the forum thread with the link to ffmpeg fix.

Scroll down to entry #7, it's from elan, and has a link to an "updated transcoder". Download that, unzip it, and then install it per Elan's path. If you're new to Mac or don't know how to install a file into an application, entry #11 of that same thread has specific instructions for where/how to install the file.

Like I said, the jumping around at first issue is still there so this isn't the ultimate fix, but it solved the playback stoppage issue on my iMac.

Thanks Elan!

I'm testing this now with Snow Leopard on my system (the thread mentions Leopard being the OS with the issue) and so far it seems to be working. I tried a couple different videos (Including one that had been booting me out every 9 minutes or so before) and they both played for well over 15 minutes (I think I let the movie go for 45 minutes). Just about all my files (including the stuff that was booting me out after 8-10 minutes) are SD *.m4v files encoded with the "high profile" setting in Handbrake.

I also backed up a copy of the version of ffmpeg that had been in place before I used the slightly older (according to datestamp) version of it from the download.
  • jdavis83jdavis83 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 61 Plex Pass
    I'll try this when I get home. I'm on snow leopard too.
    I'm anxious to hear how it works for you guys. I was able to play two complete episodes of The Wire last night. The only issue was at the beginning of each a short segment, about 5 seconds long, repeated 3 times, then the rest of the file played perfectly.

The 3-peat happened on both episodes, though.

I told Elan about the older version of ffmpeg kinda fixing this issue, so I'm sure it will all be sorted in a future release.

Man, Plex and the Roku are a PERFECT match!
    Thanks for experimenting with this guys. I need to talk to Elan about it also but I'm hoping this is the solution as I've no idea about what could be causing it on the client side.

Jonny

ClarkDV wrote:

I'm anxious to hear how it works for you guys. I was able to play two complete episodes of The Wire last night. The only issue was at the beginning of each a short segment, about 5 seconds long, repeated 3 times, then the rest of the file played perfectly.

The 3-peat happened on both episodes, though.

I told Elan about the older version of ffmpeg kinda fixing this issue, so I'm sure it will all be sorted in a future release.

Man, Plex and the Roku are a PERFECT match!
    Jonny Wray wrote:

Thanks for experimenting with this guys. I need to talk to Elan about it also but I'm hoping this is the solution as I've no idea about what could be causing it on the client side.

Jonny

I put the updated (I guess it's updated) ffmpeg in my plex app folder, but no change. My videos are still crapping out at 5-10 minutes, unfortunately. On Snow Leopard.
    Jonny Wray wrote:

Jonny

I still have the segment repeat issue at the beginning of each video and also if I fast forward or rewind so I wouldn't call this a fix. A band-aid maybe!

I'm sure you and Elan will sort it. Logs and testing is again offered if you need me.

Patrick