Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Daemonize OSX app?

carneywebcarneyweb Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello.

I recently purchased a lifetime subscription to plex. Consider this to be a feature request.

Please make it possible to run the plex app as a daemon on macOS. I don't want to have to log in a user to get my plex server up and running. The only reason it can't be a daemon today (as far as I can tell) is the item that's created when the app is run (this requires the OS X UI to be up and running, which it is not when a daemon process runs). As far as the server is concerned, I don't care about the menu item. I just want it running when I boot my machine.

Thanks so much for the great product!! If the server is runnable as a daemon, it'd be perfect.

• Mike.

Answers

• lederermclederermc Posts: 92Members ✭✭

Mike, I agree 100%.

My work-around is to run Plex from a non-privelged account the has auto log-in on reboot. I set Plex as a log-in item and I also set a simple script to run on login that sleeps for about 5 seconds then locks the screen. I don't pay for Plex Pass to I can't complain too much.

• carneywebcarneyweb Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I actually do the same thing. But I shouldn't have to :-/

• hjlindehjlinde Posts: 1Members

I find it quite ridiculous that the dev team has in several years now not responded with an answer as to why Plex cannot be run as a daemon. After all.... given what Plex does - I'd argue that it SHOULD be run as a daemon regardless of whether a user is logged in or not. After all, it is a service - not a desktop app - thus it should not require a macOS UI whatsoever.

Any chance we could have some feedback about this devs?

• profplumpprofplump Posts: 245Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

LOL. Feedback from the devs about making Plex behavior like a proper server. Next you'll be expecting those master security token you passed around in unencrypted connections on foreign WiFi networks for years to expire eventually.