Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex on Kindle Fire Freetime cannot access SD Card

scottlindnerscottlindner Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass
edited March 18 in Android (mobile)

I have read a bunch of discussions on this that seem to have stopped last Fall. Presumably due to a solution that I cannot find. I have Plex on my son's Kindle Fire and put in an SD Card to sync movies with Plex. When I run Plex on the Fire directly I can set the external storage for sync but when inside Freetime I can only select internal storage which is so insufficient I cannot sync even one movie. I need to use Freetime for my younger son.

I tried moving Plex to external storage hoping that would allow it to sync to the storage it is on but it still only shows internal storage as a sync option.

Is there a solution to use Plex to sync to external storage on a Kindle Fire when running in Freetime?

I am a lifetime Plex Pass subscriber if that matters at all.

Comments

• eldon.mcguinnesseldon.mcguinness Members, Plex Pass Posts: 105 Plex Pass

From the last time that I investigated this issue there is not a solution to this and it has to do with how Amazon limits access to the SD card any free time setup.

I tired of this issue myself too and instead sideload Cyanogen on to the device and use the other applications to limit what the user could do.

• scottlindnerscottlindner Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass

That is what I expected to hear. I was just hoping there was something I didn't find that makes this easy.

I don't want to run an alternate ROM on this device so I will likely root it and use symbolic links. I don't mind downloading the cached media from the non-Freetime account to get by the storage size check. I wonder if there are any issues with rooting the Kindle Fire.