Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

1.2.3 OpenGL windows 7 broke Hardware decoding?

GhostmGhostm Members, Plex Pass Posts: 206 Plex Pass
edited March 19 in Plex Media Player

I was one of the few who didnt have to visit the forum to complain or have issues, but now I see we have a new update and all my 4k hevc are stuttering like crazy as soon as i updated (very frustrating). I am using opengl, angle gives me frame drops, i brought up the osd and it looks like opengl is not doing any hardware decoding now since the update it just says no for hardware decoding even though i have it selected, i think it used to say copy or something, can we please put this back? Very frustrating updating and not being able to play videos properly now. I have an rx460 amd graphics card.

PMP was rock solid before the update @vlang I assume something got changed?

Best Answer

Answers

• GhostmGhostm Members, Plex Pass Posts: 206 Plex Pass
    edited March 19

Looking in the logs i believe prior versions used DXVA-DUmmy going from memory, here is a link to a log, all opengl hw decoding options fail to load now including dxva-dummy which i am sure had worked perfectly fine for 7 months up until this build playing back my 4k videos in opengl flawlessly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i7n1lsg8kxmohdp/PlexMediaPlayer.log?dl=0

• Ach!llesAch!lles Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,585 Plex Ninja

@Ghostm said:
    I was one of the few who didnt have to visit the forum to complain or have issues, but now I see we have a new update and all my 4k hevc are stuttering like crazy as soon as i updated (very frustrating). I am using opengl, angle gives me frame drops, i brought up the osd and it looks like opengl is not doing any hardware decoding now since the update it just says no for hardware decoding even though i have it selected, i think it used to say copy or something, can we please put this back? Very frustrating updating and not being able to play videos properly now. I have an rx460 amd graphics card.

PMP was rock solid before the update @vlang I assume something got changed?

Check this post @vlang posted. You can download some ANGLE libraries that may solve your issue.

edited March 19

Thanks for the reply i will take a look, but i would also like to just get the Opengl hardware accel working again for windows 7, it was working perfect before the update and should still be working imo, I dont know what broke it, windows 7 does not seem to get tested much when it comes to hardware acceleration before its released, i have reported issues with it not working before after updates, equally frustrating because everything was perfect before the update.

I also noticed in that post you linked vlang mentioned that it has not been tested on windows 7 so I would have no idea how it would behave. I also dont know what effect this has using those files if they cause other issues or doing updates in the future? Everything was just working in the prior release so i would ideally just like to be able to do hw decoding again using opengl with dxva dummy.

edited March 21

@vlang

Appears to be working again and using hardware acceleration like before in opengl on windows 7.Before it used no hardware acceleration in opengl on win 7.

It does say dxva copy now instead of dummy, but im guessing that does not matter.

4k file i tested played fine again.

• vlangvlang Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,364 Plex Employee

Great to hear.

It does say dxva copy now instead of dummy,

Yes, that's what should happen.