Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sound on PS4/roku for certian TV shows not playing

luke.john.schneider@gmail.comluke.john.schneider@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

I cannot get sound for certain TV shows to play after converting to from the disk to MKV format. I have noticed that these shows are in AC3 Mono format. Furthermore, they play ok on my iphone. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Answers

• trumpy81trumpy81 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,269 Plex Ninja

You should at least have stereo audio on the DVD unless it is an older TV series where the original was recorded in mono.

Try using a different ripping program, one that will allow you to rip stereo from the mono source and preferably in mp3 format. It usually just copies the mono track to both left and right channels so that your device thinks it's stereo.

I suspect that the PS4 and Roku do not like AC3 mono audio.

Try using Handbrake (free for PC/Mac) and don't forget to adjust the audio settings accordingly.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks
  • luke.john.schneider@gmail.comluke.john.schneider@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

I did get it working fine on roku now. Just an issue with PS4.

• trumpy81trumpy81 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,269 Plex Ninja
    edited March 21

The PS4 only accepts the following formats:

MP2(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2), AAC LC (Low Code), AC-3(Dolby Digital).

If your audio does not comply with those formats, and is at least stereo, then it wont play the audio at all. You can thank Sony for that.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks