If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is there a way for Plex to move decoding from NAS to Apple TV 4?

droffdroff Posts: 2Members

Hi,

When using Plex with Apple TV 4 with NAS I found out that this is the NAS which decodes the movie and ATV4 just streams it. NAS CPU loads up to 98% and then the movie playback halts (I use Qnap TS-569 Pro).

But at the same time if I use Plex via web in a browser with the same NAS- it seems like decoding is done on the laptop, NAS CPU load is only about 30-40% and playback continue smoothly.

Question: is there a way to fix the Plex for iOS in such a way that the decoding is done at ATV4? I understand that technically there should not be any issues as the VLC for ATV4 is decoding on the Apple TV 4 itself.

Is it possible to fix Plex for Apple TV 4?

Regards,
Yury

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• umiq88umiq88 Posts: 147Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I don't think that the ATV will transcode your video however you can playback video on an ATV without having the server transcode this is called direct play. This will only work if the original format is something that the ATV can play natively.

If the format is not ATV native you have 2 options

1. Change the original file into a format the ATV can play natively. Handbrake works nicely here.
    2. Using Plex create an optimised version for the ATV.
  • deepsethdeepseth Posts: 291Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The MrMC app on the AppleTV4 has native support for connecting to Plex, and will do all ATV4-side decoding, no transcoding. But the interface is very different to the Plex app UI.

• droffdroff Posts: 2Members

Thanks a lot for your answers!

I just wonder why Plex can't embed it's own / third party (like VLC) MKV player in it to make the use of ATV with the most (!) Qnaps and Synologies hassle free?..

deepseth: great advise! It looks like Kodi, but no "useful" add-ons can be installed unfortunately =) Also one is stuck to the particular ATV with MrMC for viewing, while with Plex one can watch his movies from anywhere with Plex app or online, which is a BIG differentiator. That's why I really can't get it why Plex can't bundle the MKV player in Plex ATV app

• zpaolo11xzpaolo11x Posts: 1,232Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@droff said:
    I just wonder why Plex can't embed it's own / third party (like VLC) MKV player in it to make the use of ATV with the most (!) Qnaps and Synologies hassle free?..

This is the Plex approach: they don't develop a player for each platform, unless the platform player has too many restrictions (like the Roku). Maintaining a different player for each platform (and Plex is really widespread) would be too complicated, and relying on a multiplatform third party player like VLC would be complex too. Transcoding is part of Plex strength, therefore if an issue is solved by transcoding it is not really a major issue

• deepsethdeepseth Posts: 291Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@droff said:
    deepseth: great advise! It looks like Kodi, but no "useful" add-ons can be installed unfortunately =) Also one is stuck to the particular ATV with MrMC for viewing, while with Plex one can watch his movies from anywhere with Plex app or online, which is a BIG differentiator. That's why I really can't get it why Plex can't bundle the MKV player in Plex ATV app

MrMC has a Plex client built in, that communicates with your Plex server, brings over all the metadata, watched status, and updates watched status as you watch. It's a fully featured Plex client on ATV4 that has the capability to bring video and audio decoding local to the device regardless of format.