If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex (Still) Crashing Machine when playing video

polyneuxpolyneux Posts: 17Members ✭✭

Tl;dr at bottom

Okay so this problem was brought by me before and for some reason I just stopped having it for a while. It seemed like if I turned off a particular service (Sickrage) then it would not have the issue I am about to describe, but that particular service only runs at specific hours... anywho.

The gist of the issue is when playing back seemingly certain media regardless of playback type (PC, Android, Chromecast driven by IOS app) the entire Machine running the computer will fault and I will suddenly hear a POST beep (letting me know it reset since it is headless, also SSH dropping...but also Plex stopping playback)

When I was working on this issue before with ChuckPA the thing was compounded by the fact that for some reason I could use NONE of the forum buttons to upload files logs or anything. This seems to be fixed.

So here's the problem.

Fiancee tried to play a video file round midnight, let me know it crashed. I tried to replay, and it said that the network speed was too slow so I bumped the quality down from Original to 2 (720). Then at 4:02 the machine crashed.

I recreated the issue but before that I stopped the service, deleted all logs, and restarted the service, created the error. For the cleanliness of the logs since the error restarts the whole machine I cannot easily stop it from creating the new log on startup, I know I can but I am lazy at this moment.

So attached are the PMS logs that are mostly clean but also have the error, you can see a line of ^@^@^@ etc where the machine drops.

I also have by snooping around 'apport' found a crash log for the "Plex Transcoder" but it is currently too large (51mb) I believe to upload here and I'm not quite sure how to manipulate that.

I have also attached the lshw output of various machine info in case that is useful.

The file in question this time plex info is such

Media Video Resolution 1080p Duration 2:19:08 Bitrate 2916 kbps Width 1920 Height 800 Aspect Ratio 2.35 Container MP4 Video Frame Rate 24p Web Optimized No Audio Profile lc Has 64bit Offsets 0 Video Profile simple Part Duration 2:19:08 File Fight Club (1999).mp4 Size 2.83 GB Audio Profile lc Container MP4 Has 64bit Offsets 0 Web Optimized No Video Profile simple Codec MPEG4 Bitrate 2782 kbps Bit Depth 8 Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0 Frame Rate 23.976 fps Height 800 Level 3 Profile simple Ref Frames 1 Stream Identifier 1 Width 1920 Codec AAC Channels Stereo Bitrate 134 kbps Audio Channel Layout stereo Profile lc Sampling Rate 48000 Hz Stream Identifier 2

And the Plex version is the newest 1.4.4.3495-edef59192

After posting this I will test it on the target video and created samples the last time this problem came around.

I was not sure whether or not to open a new topic or reply to the old once since the versions have changed.

TL;DR
1. Video files played thru plex bonks machine
2. attached are cleaned logs with debugging on isolating that particular video and crash, and sys info
3. there exists an apport crash log I'm researching what to do with
4. the machine runs other things but the crash happens in a sterile environment with other services off

Best Answer

• polyneuxpolyneux Posts: 17Members ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Update.
    APPARENTLY this particular CPU is not compatible with my particular MOBO, and the models on either side of the number are.

I put the old 4-core CPU back in the machine and it sends to work perfectly now...

And I feel really stupid

Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 18,190Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

What did you find the problem to be?

If PMS crashes, the end-of-file marker and the end of valid text are always correct. If the kernel or hw crashes, they might not be (what we see here)

I am still on the '1 of 2 things" a) installation corrupted and OS Kernel fault and b) hardware overheat the moment you push it at all... This is prime indication of Dust Bunnies in all the fans and especially in the CPU cooling fins.

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

Update on what I've been doing. The problem for me is still unresolved.

I turned plex off for three days and ran all services full throttle to make sure it wasn't something ELSE that could ALSO randomly be crashing and triggering a shutdown. Everything ran fine.

I then shut down everything but Plex (and necessary services) and had the same behavior.

I took ChuckPAs hint about heat and dropped everything out of the HTPC case into a larger ATX style case with two extra fans one of which is system controlled. lm-sensors returns that the overall heat is down.

This didn't magically solve the problem though as I'm still getting the behavior.

I've tried various methods of watching/logging heat from sensors to see if it is somehow a CPU spike but it always seems to be less than 40C. I'm thinking now that the heat might still be spiking and causing the issue because I ran Stress (all 8 cores to 100%) and the thing crashed in less than 4 minutes.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 18,190Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Intel chips will do a 'catastrophic shutdown' to prevent the chip from burning up. IIRC, it's an interrupt caught by the OS which just powers off the box.

You can run up to that line but when you stick your toe over it, even a spike, it's like a mouse trap.. SNAP. and it trips.

I've needed some very sensitive lab-grade temperature monitoring to catch such events. Software will never see the spike. Remember.. Tcase and Tjunction are the issues here.. When Tjunction trips (which is well below Tcase --- what you see), game over.

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

Accepted Answer

Update.
    APPARENTLY this particular CPU is not compatible with my particular MOBO, and the models on either side of the number are.

I put the old 4-core CPU back in the machine and it sends to work perfectly now...

And I feel really stupid