Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Bug with Shield + Roku involving aspect ratio only when hardware acceleration is used

Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4,016 Plex Pass

This bug has been reported to the Roku developer as it only manifests on my Rokus and not on my other devices but I thought that it might be helpful to directly address this on the Shield's forum:

I have been testing my Shield TV's server and I ran into a problem that only shows up on the Rokus, both the Ultra and the Roku 3. My Shield (as a player), My Fire TV and my Raspberry PI do not have the problem.

At first I thought it was the shrunken picture problem that we found on the Ultra earlier as the picture is shrunken in the same way horizontally but, when I switched over to my 3 the problem was also there.

After investigating I found that my regular server (on a Windows 10 computer that cannot use HW acceleration) did not produce the problem and then I looked for differences.

I found that the Shield was using hardware acceleration and my regular server was not.

I turned off that on the Shield and the problem went away I turned it back on and the problem reappeared.

Again this only shows on my Rokus and it shows on all of them. (I have 4 a Roku Ultra, two Roku 3s and a Roku 1)

The problem seems to happen on many, but not all, transcoded videos.

The attached zip file has all my logs plus the XML for a problem file and the Ultra's logs.

To produce the Ultras logs I first turned on HW acceleration on my Shield the I started the Plex app.

Then I played a short part of the problem file and verified the problem Then I stopped Playback.

Then I turned OFF HW accel and started playback again and verified proper playback.

I Then stopped the playback and captured the Ultra's logs.

If this is a problem in the server then it only manifests on my Rokus and if it is a problem with the Rokus then they are somehow treating streams produced by HW accel differently than streams produced regularly.

I hope this can get resolved either on my Rokus or in the Shield's server as I seem to have much better performance if HW acceleration is used on the Shield.

Thanks for looking into the problem.

Some of the great mysteries of the universe:
Why does the word "monosyllabic" have so many syllables?
Why do we drive on "parkways" and park on "driveways?"
Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?
When they ship Styrofoam what do they pack it in?
If you buy a bottle of cotton balls do you throw out the first one?
What happens if you are scared half to death twice?
Each pig has four feet and two ears so, why are pig feet more expensive that pig ears?
Why should people go out and pay money to see bad films when they can stay at home and see bad television for nothing?
What If There Were No Hypothetical Questions?
"What happens if a big asteroid hits Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad." Dave Barry

Comments

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4,016 Plex Pass

Well I waited a good long time for some glimmer of a response about this but, since I have heard absolutely nothing, I thought I would give it one good bump to see if any of the silent developers or experts might respond.

My Shield is not very useful for transcoding unless the hardware is used and it cannot be used for several shows if this bug persists.

I guess that a documented bug with complete logs is just not interesting enough to garner the attention of the important folks in the Shield development group.

Each pig has four feet and two ears so, why are pig feet more expensive that pig ears?
    Why should people go out and pay money to see bad films when they can stay at home and see bad television for nothing?
    "What happens if a big asteroid hits Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad." Dave Barry

• rlaurin1rlaurin1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

I see this same issue on the Xbox one and lg tv clients. Sounds like from another thread Nvidia may be aware and looking into it.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5,122 Plex Pass

Can we get someone from the team to comment on this? A comment acknowledging an issue is more rare than a unicorn sighting nowadays.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.7.5 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

@kegobeer-plex said:
    Can we get someone from the team to comment on this? A comment acknowledging an issue is more rare than a unicorn sighting nowadays.

Only virgins can see/catch unicorns and those are truly rare among the over 20 crowd and I assume the Plex team is, at least mostly, over 20. Of course I know you meant the we could be seeing unicorns not the Plex team but that thought just kind of popped uninvited into my mind.

I have decided that Plex, at least the Shield part of Plex, is uninterested in their user base and will only respond on the very rare occasions when they have consumed enough MD-20/20. Any response at that point will have little meaningful content. But maybe they will be more meaningful than the total silence that issues get in this forum.

Of course, maybe, the developer is serving detention at his/her middle school or has had his/her computer taken away by the people operating "in loco parentis."

Adults would have provided some response to this in the LONG time since it was presented complete with logs and how to reproduce but they have not responded to this or to most other issues that have been raised.

Plex, the higher ups, need to build a fire under the butts of the Shield team or many people will just assume that the current product will never get better and use other solutions.

Fortunately I do not "need" my Shield to be a server but it sure would be good if this and the issue of network shares working poorly would actually get fixed.

BTW: Saying that a fix is in the Shield's beta firmware may be true BUT it is not enough. There should be detailed exact instructions prominently posted on how to get that firmware and it should be assured to be made easily available to all who need it. We have been waiting for a long time and the response from Plex has been pathetic at best.

I signed up for beta on Google play and have the 1.6.0.3698 build. The issue is still present on that build.

@rlaurin1 said:
    I signed up for beta on Google play and have the 1.6.0.3698 build. The issue is still present on that build.

How about the issue of files missing on large collections when connected via network shares. (SMB) That is more serious as there does not seem to be any workaround at all for it.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5,122 Plex Pass

@Elijah_Baley said:
    How about the issue of files missing on large collections when connected via network shares. (SMB) That is more serious as there does not seem to be any workaround at all for it.

Based on the posts by beta firmware users, the upcoming Shield TV firmware fixes that particular issue.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.7.5 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

@Elijah_Baley said:

@rlaurin1 said:

I haven't seen that issue on the beta. I am using a network share with 200+ movies, 5000+ songs, and all my pics.

@rlaurin1 said:

@Elijah_Baley said:

@rlaurin1 said:

I haven't seen that issue on the beta. I am using a network share with 200+ movies, 5000+ songs, and all my pics.

At only 200 movies you would not see the problem. The few small libraries I have (Less than 500 files) no problem. It is only when libraries get into the thousands (I have over 5000) movies that the problem shows up. Maybe I can somehow figure how to get that beta on my Shield. I can live with the transcoding problem if I just could actually see all my files.

I do not know if audio is handled differently as I do not use Plex for audio but I suspect that it might show the same problem so, if you are not seeing it, it might be worthwhile to get it. Thanks.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,371 Plex Employee

@Elijah_Baley - I see the issue. Looks like the anamorphic data is being ignored when using the hardware decoder. I'm not sure why the results would be different on other clients. Can you reproduce the same thing with another client where the transcoded video looks fine?

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    @Elijah_Baley - I see the issue. Looks like the anamorphic data is being ignored when using the hardware decoder. I'm not sure why the results would be different on other clients. Can you reproduce the same thing with another client where the transcoded video looks fine?

Actually I believe the video is not transcoding (it is playing directly) on the clients that are working correctly. If I have time I will confirm this later today.

Some further info that I think proves transcoding with hardware acceleration on the Shield is screwed up:
    If I turn off hardware acceleration on my Shield server every device plays with the correct aspect ratio.
    If hardware acceleration is on then:
    On my Roku 3 and Ultra the video is squashed horizontally but normal vertically.
    On my Raspberry PI running PMP the video is squashed vertically but normal horizontally if I force it to transcode but all is good if I allow it to direct play.
    On my Fire TV if transcoding is forced then the picture is squashed horizontally but normal vertically, If I allow direct play then all is normal.

I think those tests clearly show that hardware acceleration on the Shield is screwed up when it comes to anamorphic content.

Maybe you could actually get someone to look at it and fix it? It was reported back in March and has not been addressed.

BTW: When direct play is happening as on my Fire and PI the client device is handling anamorphic stretching causing the correct display of the video.

I "think" anamorphic video might display correctly with the regular transcoder not because the transcoder stretches the video but rather because the regular transcoder is passing the anamorphic info along to the client but the hardware assisted version strips it out. I of course cannot prove that as I do not have the tools but it seems to make sense that way and it also seems that the coding of the transcoder would be simpler if it just passed anamorphic info through.

• RauttisRauttis Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

Ran into the same issue when I started using the DVR functionality. The recordings themselves are fine when I watch them on a different player, but when I stream them to the web client Plex has to transcode and the video is squashed vertically.