If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Why is Android/FireTV client limited to 1920x1080 and stereo AAC in Android profile XML?

wintrmutewintrmute Posts: 21Members ✭✭

See /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Profiles/Android.xml

Resolution for all videocodecs is set to max of 1920x1080.

AAC audio is set to channels=2

Why is this? I have a 4K TV and an AV Receiver that copes fine with all six channels on AAC. (Tested by changing channels to 6 and restarting PMS, then checking AVR's input info)

Answers

• wintrmutewintrmute Posts: 21Members ✭✭

It's been a few months.. Bump...

• meltmanmeltman Posts: 202Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Great question. Would be nice if it was separated out.

• thr0ttthr0tt Posts: 61Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 19

Edit the .xml file and change channel=2 to 6, fixed.

I used to have to do this about a year or so a go but not since ?

Edit: sorry noticed you already did this... I haven't changed mine and it plays 5.1 in aac albeit not very well (ac3 works flawlessly).

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,037Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

The Android app will detect what it's running on and what's connected to it to. It will then augment that information to PMS on top of what's in the XML. The info in the XML is in case nothing gets detected so there is some baseline to use.