Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex 1.5 and 1.5.1 with Chromecast

fvboegeldfvboegeld Posts: 25 Plex Pass

Hello,

Yesterday, while watching a tv episode i noticed the cpu of my PI3 spiking between 200 and 380%.

The episode is a mkv, h264 with aac.

In plex web it displayed :
Transcoding h264 into h264
Transcoding aac into aac

Here's the log :

Never had this before.. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Answers

• fvboegeldfvboegeld Posts: 25 Plex Pass
    edited March 31

Happening with 1.5.2 aswel..see above log. A h264 without subs works ok with chromecast, one with and plex starts transcoding both video and audio. Rasp pi3 cpu goes all the way up to 300%, which makes plex more or less useles to me now. This was working fine until upgrading to the 1.5 builds..

Well.. when i start a show using plex on ios, casting to my chromecast, cpu used for transcoding peeks between 250-300% and there's a transcoding happening from h264->h264 and from acc->acc. I then go to the playback settings, change the "Local Quality" to "Original 1080p" and the cpu used for transcoding goes all the way down to 8-10%...

Everytime i start a playback i have to switch the quality to something else, and then back to "Original 1080p" and it works again with subtitles enabled.

Here's the log file from the beginning.. Starting a show, cpu peaks, changing local quality and cpu goes back to normal..

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Streaming to chromecast using plexweb works without problems, using the ios client makes plex transcode both video and audio. With the plexweb i get directstream..

Anyone looking into this? Casting with subs to chromecast using the ios app starts trancoding video and audio, doing the same cast with webapp works without transcoding... thanks.

edited April 22

Frustrating topic bump.. Really noone? Happening with all v1.5 verions.... Every single H264 file with subtitles is getting transcoded from "h264 into h264" and "acc into acc" when using the ios app in combination with chromecast... doing the same with the webclient works...

• mr2600mr2600 Posts: 1

Since 1.5 I also haven't been able to get h264 or h265 to work at all.

Its always transcoding.

• FireHelmetFireHelmet Posts: 4 ✭✭

Hello all,

I'm facing to the same problem with chromecast first gen and chomecast ultra too. From iOS plex app, my chromecast are transcoding from h264 to h264. From Chrome browser from my PC or from my iPad, the chromecast play the movie as direct stream.

Please fix it asap Plex Team coders :)

Thanks !

edited May 6

When starting a movie/series using the ios app, i always open the "Play settings", go to "Quality" and change it to 'Original'.. Thats the only way i can prevent the transcoding from h264->h264...

• DukeofYYCDukeofYYC Posts: 4 Plex Pass

I am having the same problem...

• guycobb2guycobb2 Posts: 39 ✭✭

similar issues with chromecast. I used to have a full range of quality selections. now it seems to generate a single, random quality option. for instance, earlier it was max quality of 20Mbps as the only option.... however right now, its dropped to only offering convert to 240p 0.3Mbps.

• DukeofYYCDukeofYYC Posts: 4 Plex Pass

I am still having this issue. Has anyone come up with a solution?