Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Switches to "Not available outside your network" - Logs available to troubleshoot

steelcitysteelcity Posts: 5Members ✭✭

I have an odd issue. I'm on Mac Sierra, 10.12.3.

When I go to Remote Access and try to configure it, it shows green for a second with "Fully available outside of your network" but then quickly switches to "Not available outside of your network." This is very odd, and I don't know what to do. I have tried manually configuring with my local IP set statically with port forwarding with the same result. I've turned off my local firewall with the same result. I have logging on, and can provide the logs for someone to assist. Thanks!

Answers

• steelcitysteelcity Posts: 5Members ✭✭

Troubleshooting so far:
    Mac Firewall on and off
    Enable and disable uPNP
    Tried Port forwarding (with and without uPNP enabled). http://www.canyouseeme.org/ tells me it does not work, not sure why.

• rafaelmayorrafaelmayor Posts: 5Members Plex Pass

I've had the exact same problem. Everything worked fine until I purchased a new Mac Mini to run as my server and now no go. I've tried all options listed on the website, but it keeps happening. Losing hope!

• Spaniard85Spaniard85 Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have this same issue, and it's driving me insane. Even worse, I can't even stream to clients on my local network. I've done the same troubleshooting with ZERO success. I've even tried a different router. I'm giving up after nearly a week of research and failure. :( I'll be looking for a DLNA server for use on my local network until this is sorted out.

• abhishekpawal93abhishekpawal93 Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same as you guys... so annoying unable to stream in house even :(

• benjidavidsonbenjidavidson Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same. Driving me nuts when I'm on the road. Updated my Mac mini to sierra and it refuses to connect from out of home network

• extemporeextempore Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is everyone here on Sierra? I too have this problem on Sierra but I haven't checked whether it goes away if I'm not.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 28,605Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Please try to use a port forward in the router to the IP address of the server - port forwarding to tcp port 32400 and making sure the IP address of the server is fixed - DHCP Reservation would be easy way of achieving that. On the server setting select Manually Specify Port and enter the public tcp port that is forwarded to local tcp port 32400

There are timing issues during transition between uPnP and port forward/manually specified port - but this should settle down after a while and after stopping on changing the settings. A browser refresh should help

There is a Troubleshooting Remote Access support article which covers a number of areas that can be checked
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200931138-Troubleshooting-Remote-Access

If problems persist, please get router port forward config screenshots, dhcp reservation screenshot, network configuration info on server, remote access advanced settings page and server logs
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201643703-Reporting-issues-with-Plex-Media-Server
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• Clown2.0Clown2.0 Posts: 62Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi Sa2000,

Please attached my server log and all my configuration and connection details in my post:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/278136/remote-access-issues#latest

Thanks,

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 28,605Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@Clown2.0 said:
    Hi Sa2000,

Please attached my server log and all my configuration and connection details in my post:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/278136/remote-access-issues#latest

Thanks,

I have been looking at the log - have not finished but meanwhile to give some feedback

There are timing issues in Plex Media Server during transition from remote access being disabled / enabled and also when switching between manually specified port or automatically allocated port. These timing issues do show up in the log -

To mitigate against such issues, I would advise waiting 15 seconds between clicks / changes - allowing actions to conclude

Furthermore, I have established that using automatic port configuration and uPnP is not as reliable as a port forward setup in the router. A port forward is solid and once it is in there and your IP does not change then it should stay working.

So my advice first is to make sure your server IP 192.168.0.12 is fixed as a DHCP Reservation so that it does not change.

Then if you are ok with using same public port as local port, in the router set up a port forward of tcp port 32400 to go to local tcp port 32400 to 192.168.0.12

you may need to restart the router.

If the router was restarted, please restart the mac as well - just to make sure

Then on the remote access server setting / show advanced page select manually specify port and enter 32400 and enter connect. Wait 15 seconds or more before any retry

At some point you may need to refresh the browser screen to get an up to date status

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

Thanks, it's working now :D
    In addition to your recommandations I have also disable the Upnp capability of my router

Thanks for feedback - Port Forward and manual selected port is more reliable.

I am still following up issues seen in your log - which are in the area of how we handle enabling / disabling remote access.

@Clown2.0 i have concluded my investigation of your log. In the end it looks like the connectivity test inwards to your server was not working after port was mapped. So something was blocking or not allowing the connectivity test - once mapping is successful, the plex.tv system is told of which port to try and real connectivity test would come in to the server - normally comes from an ip address of 54.xx.xx.xx or similar - no such connectivity request reached your server. So some firewall / security software may have blocked it

• Camaro_KidCamaro_Kid Posts: 12Members ✭✭

please someone help me out...im very new to networking, but have set up a server. and remote access all of a sudden quit working, and i cannot figure out why. Nothing was changed in my network, and I cannot seem to figure it out. Please someone contact me to help me figure this out

• jaygreene1jaygreene1 Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I port forwarded my router which helped the remote access issue, but now my main server (mac desktop) is not connecting to Plex. What is going on? I cannot attach my server logs because it says my server settings are unavailable.
    HELP!!

You can locate the zips and take a copy and zip the copy

See this article for location of logs

Do you have 2 servers ? And is the port forward for each using different public port forwarded to 32400 for each server ?

edited July 17

sa2000:
    I have a local server and a cloud server that has no content in it. I only port forwarded the local server. I attached 2 server logs for review.
    Thanks

@jaygreene1 said:
    sa2000:
    I have a local server and a cloud server that has no content in it. I only port forwarded the local server. I attached 2 server logs for review.
    Thanks

Sorry expected to see that you at least restarted the server and attempted to get remote access working. All I can see from the logs that the server is scanning loads of media

I don't think you have opened the server setting page for remote access during the periods the logs cover because I cannot see any connectivity test

Anyway - do you have manually specify port ticked on the server remote access settings page? and do you have 32400 entered in the box

And tell me which IP Address the port forward for 32400 is forwarded to ? To 192.168.1.112 or 192.168.1.223 ?
    I see from plex.tv held information that your server has 2 active IP Addresses - For me having two active always resulted in unreliable remote access - because there is no way to tell plex media server which of the 2 IP addresses is the one to use for remote access - well there is a way to get it to ignore one - but I think what we have here is you probably have both wifi and wired enabled - decide on which to use and disable the other one. And make sure the port forward is to the one that remains active

And if you continue to have issues after making those changes, please get screenshots to show the port forward setting in the router, screenshots to show the manually specified port set on server settings and restart the server and try to disable and re-enable remote access - wait 30 seconds between disabling and re-enabling and then get logs - zip of the logs folder and attach with the screenshots

sa2000:
    Here are some answers to your questions along with some screen shots and a zip of the debug log, as i was unable tot access server settings because it stated that they were unavailable:
    1. The logs attached are taken i logged out and the logged bacon to Plex and then attempted to connect to my local server at least twice.
    2. Before i lost access to my local server, i port forwarded the server to port 32400 and it was working. The IP address i used as a static ip address is: 192.168.1.112
    3. I don't know how i have 2 active IP addresses unless having an ethernet connection and wifi connection on at the same time creates the 2 IP Addresses. Theoretically, the Wifi should mirror the ethernet IP Address since its going to the same computer. Correct me if I am wrong please.
    4. Find attached screenshots with both Wifi connected and NOT connected (ethernet is always on).

Thank you for your help!!

Thanks for the Plex Web log.

So server setting is not available to you - this is a more important issue to address and have resolved before any remote access problem.

@jaygreene1 said:
    a zip of the debug log, as i was unable tot access server settings because it stated that they were unavailable:

That zip is of the Plex Web client app and that is fine. it is useful to have but I wanted the server logs.
    See this support page which gives you the directory they are in - note it is a hidden folder

I need confirmation that at the time the web client log was taken that the server application was actually running. Any screenshots you take, please make sure the time is shown as well as the url, Server logs would confirm it was running

1. The logs attached are taken i logged out and the logged bacon to Plex and then attempted to connect to my local server at least twice.

Did you try to access the server through this browser url on the server computer
    http://localhost:32400/web
    or
    http://127.0.0.1:32400/web

I can only see in the plex web log that you are accessing it via plex.tv/web

It is worth trying the localhost and 127.0.0.1 url's

plex.tv always uses secure connections and may be you have a DNS Rebinding protection in your router that is blocking access on the local IPs. I give tests to try out below.

Also worth trying different browser.

1. Before i lost access to my local server, i port forwarded the server to port 32400 and it was working. The IP address i used as a static ip address is: 192.168.1.112

could I have screenshot of your port forward screen please.
    Also screenshot of where you ensured that 192.168.1.112 does not change (static or dhcp reservation)

1. I don't know how i have 2 active IP addresses unless having an ethernet connection and wifi connection on at the same time creates the 2 IP Addresses. Theoretically, the Wifi should mirror the ethernet IP Address since its going to the same computer. Correct me if I am wrong please.

The wired and wireless connections would have different IP Addresses. Please disable within network settings the connection that is on 192.168.1.223 leaving only 192.168.1.112

Could you open terminal session and try these and let me know what you get back for each. You can copy and paste the commands and responses to a text file

nslookup 192-168-1-112.e39efd998f7a4104b5f0c467071ec6ed.plex.direct
    nslookup 192-168-1-112.e39efd998f7a4104b5f0c467071ec6ed.plex.direct 8.8.8.8

nslookup 192-168-1-223.e39efd998f7a4104b5f0c467071ec6ed.plex.direct
    nslookup 192-168-1-223.e39efd998f7a4104b5f0c467071ec6ed.plex.direct 8.8.8.8

and finally on the plex web settings screen, could you select Allow Fallback to Insecure Connections to be on local network
    and then try

@sa2000
    Thanks a lot for your in depth investigation of my log. Unfortunately, even with the manual port set up, Remote access is not working in a consistent manner...
    Probably link to the security software blocking it but I don't know witch software could do that :/ Any idea?