If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Playback issues: potential fix

jwrayjwray Posts: 1,268Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
Hi,

As a number of threads have noted there are some issues with playback of some media. Just talked to Elan (lead Plex developer) about this and he asked me to pass on this link to a new version of ffmpeg that fixes a number of bugs, including SD content looking crappy.

http://www.plexapp.com/elan/ffmpeg-latest-2011-05-09.zip

Thanks to ClarkDV for trying out the idea in the first place, who also observed this fixing the stop after 5-10 mins issue.

Replace the version in ~/Library/Application Support/Plex/Plex Media Server.app/Contents/Resources (or rename if you want to be able to go backwards) with the linked one and see if that improves things for you. I'll be interested in your observations.

thanks,
Jonny

Comments

• nutznboltz2003nutznboltz2003 Posts: 3Members
    This might be a dumb question, but for those of us on Windows, do we just download the latest static .exe build from http://hawkeye.arrozcru.org/ and replace the ffmpeg.exe file in the Plex folder?
  • jwrayjwray Posts: 1,268Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Nope. not a dumb question. I'm waiting on Elan to zip me up a windows version. I'll post the link once I know it.

thanks
    Jonny

This might be a dumb question, but for those of us on Windows, do we just download the latest static .exe build from http://hawkeye.arrozcru.org/ and replace the ffmpeg.exe file in the Plex folder?
  • Andy KAndy K Posts: 4Members
    This fix is working great for all my SD files! THANKS!!! :-D

I can't wait to see my HD files working, too!
  • KakaduDreamerKakaduDreamer Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Downloaded the file, extracted the new version of "ffmpeg" but...I can't copy it.

I'm probably just being dense (I'm fairly new to the Mac world) but I can't find this location on my Mac Mini:

~/Library/Application Support/Plex/Plex Media Server.app/Contents/Resources

More specifically, I can't locate the folder "Plex Media Server.app" under my "~/Library/Application Support/Plex/" All I see is are files there (not a folder) called "Plex Media Server.app.conf" and "Plex Media Server.app.version".

I'm probably missing something obvious here.

- Matt
  • seahorsejlseahorsejl Posts: 181Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I updated to this newest ffmpeg. Video quality does look better. I am still seeing initial audio sync issues on some files, but a nice step in the right direction. I haven't had time to see if the stopping issue was resolved.
    Yep, it's a Mac weirdness. Select and Right click on Plex Media Server.app and chose 'Show Package Contents'

Downloaded the file, extracted the new version of "ffmpeg" but...I can't copy it.

I'm probably just being dense (I'm fairly new to the Mac world) but I can't find this location on my Mac Mini:

More specifically, I can't locate the folder "Plex Media Server.app" under my "~/Library/Application Support/Plex/" All I see is are files there (not a folder) called "Plex Media Server.app.conf" and "Plex Media Server.app.version".

- Matt
    Can you start a thread describing your HD issues: what problem you are having and what file format/codec you are seeing it with?

thanks
    Jonny

Andy K wrote:

This fix is working great for all my SD files! THANKS!!! :-D

I can't wait to see my HD files working, too!
  • lhodgkinslhodgkins Posts: 109Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    "Plex Media Server.app" is actually a folder.. right click on it, select "Show Package Contents" then go into /Contents/Resources & replace "ffmpeg" with the one you dowloaded

-Lennie

- Matt

Server: 2009 Mac Mini C2D
    Clients: Mac, Windows, Roku, Roku2, iOS, Android, PleXBMC,

• KakaduDreamerKakaduDreamer Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Jonny Wray wrote:

Yep, it's a Mac weirdness. Select and Right click on Plex Media Server.app and chose 'Show Package Contents'

Thanks Jonny! That worked. Guess I learned something new today about the Mac OS!

Cheers,
    Matt
  • ClarkDVClarkDV Posts: 26Members ✭✭
    Jonny,

The new ffmpeg isn't working for me, same playback stoppage issue as the original. I went back to the version I found in that old thread and it's working again, albeit still with the jumping around at begin and after ff or rew.

Because we now have 3 different versions of ffmpeg, and more to follow I bet, that we're testing, is there a way to tell one from another other than just by file size?

Doing a Get Info on it doesn't show a version number.

I'm just looking for a way to keep who's using what and with what results as we go forward, otherwise this is going to become very confused and will hinder sorting this issue out, you know?

Thanks,
  • jdavis83jdavis83 Posts: 61Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Jonny,

Like I said before, sd tv shows were great! The ffmpeg fix cleaned up the quality for me a ton and fixed stoppage on .avi tv shows and .m4v movies. Going to try hd rips later this week.
    Still having issues with plugins but that's not a deal breaker for me.

After installing the new ffmpeg, I manually shut down PMS and rebooted.

here are my specs. Not sure if it helps but the more inf the better I guess.

PMS Machine:
    Model Name: Mac mini
    Model Identifier: Macmini2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 2 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz

MacOS 10.6.7
    Plex 0.9.2.7
    Linksys WRT54G everything is wireless (PMS machine has static IP)

Client:
    Roku XD about 30' away from router.
    Set to 2.0mbps in plex client.
  • PeteWalker74PeteWalker74 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Using Plex on the PC, and I can't even get any movies to start. They all show up in the Plex Media Manager on the PC, and on the Roku. I've tried every bit rate on the Roku, and no joy. Of course I don't mind being patient if a fix is imminent, but from reading this thread, and the one that directed me here, it didn't seem like anyone was having this issue. Am I mistaken?
    Yep, first time I've heard a can't play anything issue. What happens when you try and play? The only similar issue is wireless not playing at bit rates > 2Mbps.

What media codec/container/file type are you trying to play? Could be that it's not supported?

Jonny

Gurumba wrote:

Using Plex on the PC, and I can't even get any movies to start. They all show up in the Plex Media Manager on the PC, and on the Roku. I've tried every bit rate on the Roku, and no joy. Of course I don't mind being patient if a fix is imminent, but from reading this thread, and the one that directed me here, it didn't seem like anyone was having this issue. Am I mistaken?
    Looks like the new one fixes the avi looking like ass issue but not the stopping in middle issue. It is being looked at though.

I hear you, but I'm not in control of that. I will pass that suggestion on though. Hopefully these fixes will get rolled into a new version of PMS and we won;t have to mess around with downloads and replacements.

Jonny

ClarkDV wrote:

Jonny,

The new ffmpeg isn't working for me, same playback stoppage issue as the original. I went back to the version I found in that old thread and it's working again, albeit still with the jumping around at begin and after ff or rew.

Because we now have 3 different versions of ffmpeg, and more to follow I bet, that we're testing, is there a way to tell one from another other than just by file size?

Doing a Get Info on it doesn't show a version number.

I'm just looking for a way to keep who's using what and with what results as we go forward, otherwise this is going to become very confused and will hinder sorting this issue out, you know?

Thanks,
  • friedflixfriedflix Posts: 2,013Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    playback quality dramatically improved BUT...odd behavior, first few minutes are garbled, shows 30 secs, jumps back, does it again, a couple times, then starts playing from beginning with very good quality...don't know how else to describe.
  • nickexperiencenickexperience Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass
    Please excuse my ignorance, but where exactly is this folder located that we are to put the updated ffmpeg file in? Can't seem to find it here...
    This first post in the thread tells you where to put it.

Jonny

Please excuse my ignorance, but where exactly is this folder located that we are to put the updated ffmpeg file in? Can't seem to find it here...
    Unfortunately, I can't find the location listed in the post. Is is it supposed to be under Program Files\Plex\...or somewhere else? Where is the library folder?

Jonny Wray wrote:

This first post in the thread tells you where to put it.

Jonny
    No, that's a Mac location. The windows ffmpeg fix hasn't been made available yet. But, I just posted this in another thread:

Here's a link to a windows ffmpeg Elan just gave me:

http://www.plexapp.com/elan/ffmpeg-windows-2011-05-12.zip

Note however, this is very user beware, it's not really been tested - I wanted to test if before letting people know - but if you like you can try it out. Be sure to save your existing one so you can go backwards though.

If you do try it out I'd love to hear of your results as my windows test set up isn't ideal.

You'll need to replace the ffmpeg in the Plex Media Server installation. I honestly don't know where that is on windows and don't have my windows box in front of me.

Jonny

Unfortunately, I can't find the location listed in the post. Is is it supposed to be under Program Files\Plex\...or somewhere else? Where is the library folder?
    Jonny Wray wrote:

No, that's a Mac location. The windows ffmpeg fix hasn't been made available yet. But, I just posted this in another thread:

You'll need to replace the ffmpeg in the Plex Media Server installation. I honestly don't know where that is on windows and don't have my windows box in front of me.

Jonny

Thanks for the clarification. I'm going to try it out here in a minute and I'll let you know if I notice any improvements. I haven't yet isolated which particular kinds of files the plex channel on my roku seems to be having problems with, but they are movies in general. All of my TV shows have played just fine. My setup is sort of wired. I have a Win 7 setup that is hooked up to a broadband network that pumps through the coax in my house via MOCA adapters. I got a Roku specifically because of the plex app in hopes of ditching my PS3 which is noisy and voraciously consumes power. To this point I had been using PS3 media server with a lot of success. Hoping I can achieve that with the Plex app. Movies are the only thing getting in the way at the moment.

Thanks for your work!