If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Google Photos as storage master

McBourneMcBourne Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass ✭✭

Is it possible for me to store my photos and videos in Google photos then have plex use that as a library??

Everything I've read about sync makes it sounds like it's one way the other way. I store photos on my computer and can sync some up to cloud storage.

I want to have all my photos from google photos pulled into plex's photo and home video libraries.

Answers

• kajillionkajillion Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'd like to know this very thing as well.

• mrjamesmooremrjamesmoore Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1

I'd like this as well; perhaps as a service supported via Plex Cloud along with DropBox, OneDrive and Google Drive.

• TJrockstarTJrockstar Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'd also like to be able to link my photo sharing site to my Plex Pass. Either Google Photos, Photobucket, Picasa, Amazon Photos. any or preferably all of these, would be great to have and use with my Plex Pass

• stevegoble@gmail.comstevegoble@gmail.com Posts: 0Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 for Google photos sync up!

• TobbeWilsonTobbeWilson Posts: 35Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 4

+1
    Would be great!

• franmarinefranmarine Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1
    Essential !

• yoadster@gmail.comyoadster@gmail.com Posts: 78Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 I'm currently having to do a dance with expandrive and mapped folders....works but a pain. Native support would be amazing.

• rbeatserbeatse Posts: 255Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@yoadster@gmail.com said:
    +1 I'm currently having to do a dance with expandrive and mapped folders....works but a pain. Native support would be amazing.

I didn't realize something like expandrice or netdrive would work but I guess don't see why they wouldn't. Hmmmm (something to think about, thanks!)

• sfnetworksfnetwork Posts: 1,402Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex Cloud could be the solution, no?
    Setup Plex Cloud server to your Google Drive account and simply add the Google Photos folder as a Plex Photo Library.
    Wouldn't this work?

I'm trying this right now. I don't think Plex modify the photo files and it should stay synced.

• wally007wally007 Posts: 1,240Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@sfnetwork said:
    Setup Plex Cloud server to your Google Drive account and simply add the Google Photos folder as a Plex Photo Library.
    Wouldn't this work?

I'm trying this right now. I don't think Plex modify the photo files and it should stay synced.

If you modify a picture via Google Photos iOS or web apps, changes dont sync back to your Google Drive (and in turn Plex if you set it up as you suggested)

I'm in fact running it this way since ages but you cant use Google Photos editing tools.

• sfnetworksfnetwork Posts: 1,402Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@wally007 said:

@sfnetwork said:
    Wouldn't this work?

If you modify a picture via Google Photos iOS or web apps, changes dont sync back to your Google Drive (and in turn Plex if you set it up as you suggested)

I'm in fact running it this way since ages but you cant use Google Photos editing tools.

Thanks! Good to know :smile:

• McBourneMcBourne Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass ✭✭

So this isn't possible currently. Is there an official feature request thread I can post this idea to? or vote it up?

• CorpsEnThymCorpsEnThym Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just use plexdrive to mount your google drive, then in google drive settings make the Google Photos folder show as a regular folder, and link this folder in plexdrive mount point as a library in plex ! :D

• Asb2106Asb2106 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 5

I just googled this to try and solve this same problem, and came across this thread. So I am setting it up how wally007 says.. and I am curious how sfnetwork is having these issues. I have not yet tested directly with plex, I will shortly, but I have used google drive to access photos for a while, and I have used the photos online tools to edit crop and delete photos, and have in the past accessed edited content through google drive. I will post my results.

I wasn't running Google Drive on my server, but I'll look into the solution of setting the Google Drive --> Google Photos dir as a library in Plex. I am interested to see if altered photos or animations and movies created by the assistant will show up as well.

edited September 6

@McBourne said:
    I wasn't running Google Drive on my server, but I'll look into the solution of setting the Google Drive --> Google Photos dir as a library in Plex. I am interested to see if altered photos or animations and movies created by the assistant will show up as well.

It wont.... since changes you make to a photo does not sync back to Google Drive :-(
    I've also tried the new Backup and Sync app that google released for Google Drive/Google Photos and changes still do not sync to Google Drive's\Google Photos folder.

I've opened an issue with Google on this and I was told it works as designed and changes are not supposed to sync back with no plans to implement it either :-(

if you want your 'edited' files on your local desktop, you have to download (manually) a zip file form google photos web site.

@wally007 Thanks for the info. Yes it seems if Plex made an official Google Photos tie in it would be best. As in a cloud to cloud service link.

Im trying to decide myself ....

1, Make edits in iOS built in Camera app (this way the new picture is reflected in Google Photos AND Google Drive since Google Photos considers edited photo as a new unique photo)

2, Stop attempting to use Plex for pictures. The experience browsing pictures on iOS devices is very slow, frustratingly slow compared to Google Photos. The only reason I'm still trying is because I want pictures on HTPC (ie. in OpenPHT) and there is no Google Photos remote friendly app for HTPC :-(

• BlacktwinBlacktwin Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You can script the downloading of your Google Photos into your Plex Photo library.
    This script, after setting up Google (console.developers.google.com), will download videos (mp4) and photos(jpeg) from your Google Drive's Google Photos location to where you specify.

The downloaded file structure is
    "path/Video/YEAR/MM-DD/File"
    "path/Photo/YEAR/MM-DD/File"

JBOPS - Just a Bunch Of Plex Scripts

• damianiwdamianiw Posts: 51Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi been looking at how to make use of Google Photos with Plex Cloud so I can access all my photos whenever I want via plex and make some good use of my plex cloud :-)

I have installed backup & sync for PC and have got it syncing from my PC up, I have Plex on my PC and use plex to sync the photos to the PC, which will then sync to google :-) call me old fashioned but I like having my photos as well as cloud...

If I could get plex cloud to access the google photos it would be perfect as my pc doesnt have to be on to view my photos ... but however I try it doesnt seem to do it as it only shows google "Drive"

In https://photos.google.com/settings Google Drive is turned OFF (as per guides)

Just doesnt seem plex supports this for plexcloud :-( or am I missing something