If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Xbox 360 and 5.1 Surround Sound Audio

simgamer13simgamer13 Posts: 8Members ✭✭

Why does the PLEX app for Xbox 360 not support surround sound? Consider the following:

• I have a .wmv file with a WMA Pro 5.1 audio stream (validated through mediainfo).
  • The media file displays as 720p WMA Pro 5.1 in the Plex App on the XBox 360.
  • English (WMA pro 5.1) is displayed as the audio format when playing the media file in PLEX.

PLEX continues to play the media file in 2.1 audio only. I can take the same exact file, put it on a USB stick and plug it directly into the Xbox and the media file plays in full surround sound as expected.

Why does the PLEX app not play the file in 5.1 audio?

Answers

• eire1274eire1274 Posts: 7Members Plex Pass

I'm also looking for a solution. I recently upgraded my audio system from a multi-channel amp to a full HDMI receiver, meaning all of my sound is being routed through HDMI only. I'm considering trying an optical cable (as it was set up that way before) and see if the receiver can pull 5.1 audio that way, as I know I was getting 5.1 in the past. I want to determine if it is a factor of the new cabling situation, or a recent software update from Plex.

Nick

AMD Athlon 5350 APU: 4*.2.05Ghz CPU, Radeon 8400 GPU  |  Asus AS1M-A Motherboard   |  Crucial 2*8Gb ECC Unbuffered 1600Mhz RAM
    Kingspec 16Gb SSD  |  Mediasonic HP1-SS3 eSATA PCIe Card  |  2*Mediasonic HF2-SU3S2 Enclosures  |  8*WD Green 2TB HD  |  FreeNAS 9.1.2.9, ZFS volume in two-disk failsafe

• sdmfz28sdmfz28 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Have you had any luck with this? I recently changed TV's but not audio receiver, and lost audio when running the Plex app on the Xbox 360. No issues on my Xbox One, though.

• TheCli3ntTheCli3nt Posts: 60Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The Plex for Xbox 360 app does not output 5.1 surround sound audio and is limited to 2.0 stereo output.

Suggested solution, get a Roku or Xbox One.

Jay "The Cli3nt" Bishop
    Father, Geek, Gamer, Bleeder
    Blogger
    TheCli3nt.com
    jay@thecli3nt.com

Plex Media Server:

Hardware:
    * Server 1:
    -- Intel Core i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz × 4, 4GB DDR3, Root: 500GB, Media: 21.5TB OS: Ubuntu 16.04.1 64-bit

• Server 2:
      -- AMD FX-8320 @ 3.5GHz × 8, 16GB DDR3, Root: 1TB, Media: 12.6TB, OS: Ubuntu 17.04 64-bit

Clients:
    -- PlayStation 3 & 4
    -- Xbox 360 & One
    -- Roku Stick, Express+, 3 and Premiere
    -- Windows 10 PC (Windows 10 Plex app and Chrome web browser)
    -- Android Tablets & Phones