We will be performing plex.tv database server maintenance starting 22:00 Pacific Time on Thursday, June 22 (05:00 GMT, June 23). It is expected to last ~1.5 hours. See http://status.plex.tv/incidents/w98nwqyk43pv
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

"Unable to contact Plex Media Server. Please check your server settings..."

pfogartypfogarty Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Hi everyone,
I'm writing with a relatively new problem that no one at Sonos support could figure out. Recently, I rebuilt my Plex library from scratch. Prior to doing so, I had absolutely no problem setting up Plex+Sonos integration. I was able to access all of my Plex media via Sonos with absolutely no problem. I'm using a QNAP TS251+ running QTS 4.2.4, and I updated to the newest Plex server release today.

Since I rebuilt my library and re-added the Plex beta integration to Sonos, I get the same message every time I attempt to connect: "Unable to contact Plex Media Server. Please check your server settings at https://plex.tv and make sure that Remote Access is enabled."

Please note:

• Plex is remotely available to me via every other service, and I listen to music via Plex on the road, at work, etc. There are zero issues with Plex itself either locally or remotely, at least as far as I can tell;
  • Sonos has no problem accessing my music via the NAS, provided I use the Music Library option rather than Plex;
  • I can ping all Sonos speakers in the house with 0% packet loss and round trips under 4ms;
    • I have six Sonos speakers (Den = Playbar+Sub+Play:1+Play:1, Office = Play:1, Kitchen = Play:1). The two that are connected via Ethernet show as inactive in my router's interface, but this is likely because they are connected to my bridge router in the office;
  • I'm using the stock Verizon FIOS router, which hasn't been an issue in the past.

Here's what I've tried:

• Restarting all Sonos devices in the house one by one (recommended by Sonos);
  • Deleting and re-adding Plex in Sonos (recommended by Sonos);
  • Toggling uPNP on and off;
  • Checking all port forwards to make sure they are correct (though it seems clear that they are, as I can access my Plex server via 32400);
  • Clearing all port forwards and re-adding.

User haywoodma had this same issue and no one was able to assist. I'm hoping that by providing more detail, we might be able to get this solved. Thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• wwwizzarrdrywwwizzarrdry Members, Plex Pass Posts: 186 Plex Pass

Welcome to the club. Sorry to say, but Plex has no intention of fixing their Beta Sonos Service. I've called and emailed Sonos requesting that they remove all beta labs that haven't been updated in more than 6 months. It's obviously a failed/cancelled project by Plex and no longer a Beta program. The sooner you realize this the better for your sanity.

Try switching to using ChromecastAudio + Play:5.
    Casting​ to CCA works beautifully without any problems or headaches.

• rdubyardubya Members, Plex Pass Posts: 18 Plex Pass

This is a bummer, mine used to work now I'm getting the same issue as OP no matter what I try.

• jjrossjjross Members, Plex Pass Posts: 362 Plex Pass

If you have Plex pass try Plex Cloud. It works pretty well for this.

I've also found you can't used Upnp for this. You need to manually forward the port and your router needs to support NAT reflection. Are you manually forwarding the ports?

• seb2015@hotmail.comseb2015@hotmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

Have the same issue and am manually forwarding the ports. It seems that the Sonos - Plex connection is intermittent .

I'm not sure Plex realizes that they have users like me who paid for the lifetime membership greatly thanks to the Sonos integration .

This is ridiculous, we need to warn other users in the reviews

• mikedavemikedave Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

Same issue for me ! This is really annoying. I hope Plex will work on it and fix it.
    Mike

• wwwizzarrdrywwwizzarrdry Members, Plex Pass Posts: 186 Plex Pass

@seb2015@hotmail.com said:
    Have the same issue and am manually forwarding the ports. It seems that the Sonos - Plex connection is intermittent .

I'm not sure Plex realizes that they have users like me who paid for the lifetime membership greatly thanks to the Sonos integration .

This is ridiculous, we need to warn other users in the reviews

It was a large part of my decision to go down the Sonos hole. If had known Plex boned the service so hard, i would have thought twice.

https://www.plex.tv/blog/plex-sonos-better-together/

• yeldonyeldon Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Same here, Plex was a huge reason to go down the Sonos route. Someone else has pointed out that the ssl certificate on the Sonos.plex.tv domain has expired. This would explain why it was working fine, but has recently stopped.

• mikedavemikedave Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

I didn't do anything but today, it's fixed. Thanks to who did the job.
    Mike

Well nothing changed on my side so far eventhough the following might explain why this works on your side:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/271018/ssl-certificate-expired

As a workaround I'm falling back to having Sonos accessing my Nas Music library , hopefully Plex will look at the issue before I get tired of the situation and start to use Subsonic for browsing my music through Sonos

Ok I talked to fast apparently , it seems that the service is back on ..
    Crosing my fingers that it lasts !

• mariagwynmariagwyn Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

New setup, same issue. Can't fix. Plex: please support this Beta!!!!

• bobackboback Members Posts: 0

I have the same issue. Plex used to work with my sonos, and after recent updates. Sonos can see the file names but unable to locate to play. Not sure what the issue is. Sonos works fine on chromecast and other streaming services. Please fix.

• bobackboback Members Posts: 0

I have the same issue. Plex used to work with my sonos, and after recent updates. Sonos can see the file names but unable to locate to play. Not sure what the issue is. Sonos works fine on chromecast and other streaming services. Please fix.