Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Why is the Plex app for TiVo limited to 720?

I just moved my TV hardware from MCE to TiVo and generally like it so far. Once I learned about the availability of Plex I got excited as maybe the TiVo hardware could be the one box to replace all the others I have hooked to the TV (TiVo for TV, AppleTV for Airplay, Plex and Netflix, and Roku for Amazon Prime and Plex). Unfortunately when configuring the app I found out it is limited to 720 which really put a damper on my enthusiasm. My TiVo Mini is the latest version and from what I can tell should be able to handle 1080 without any issues. What is the reason for the 720 limitation and are there any unsupported workarounds to get 1080 content from the Plex app without transcoding it down to 720?

Best Answer

Answers

• ersingletonersingleton Members, Plex Pass Posts: 28 Plex Pass

Hello? Is this thing on?

• jakegubjakegub Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

+1. I'm really upset about this limitation too and have been trying to comment on all the similar threads. If a chromecast with basically no processor can stream 1080p, the Tivo Mini should be able to do it also. It could be a network issue as the app says 720p 4Mbps device limit, but what kind of network hardware in the last 25 years doesn't support at least 10Mbps?

• BSOD2600BSOD2600 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 42 Plex Pass

+1
    I'm curious too.

• ersingletonersingleton Members, Plex Pass Posts: 28 Plex Pass

This makes sense. The TiVo apps shows up as Opera browsers under "devices."