Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Media Player prevents sleep

teekmanbteekmanb Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited April 6 in Plex Media Player

Hi,

I run MediaPortal and Plex Media Player on the same PC. MP exists only to record TV and to pull down the guide but because it needs to wake the machine and prevent sleep while recording MP manages the PC's sleep function (unless I press sleep on the remote). Unfortunately the PC will no longer sleep as the Plex Media Player logs audio and video subsystem requests against windows to deny sleep requests. This is understandable if plex is playing media, has just been launched, or is idle for just a few minutes...but this is a permanent state - as soon as you launch plex it blocks sleep, as soon as you close it it releases. So in my case as long as plex runs my PC will never sleep - so it is always awake...which is not cool - awake for 24 hours so I use it for just 2-3.... I don't really wan tot exit/launch plex all the time as I like just being there when the PC wakes.

In my opinion the blocking of sleep requests should only happen when Plex is actually needing to prevent sleep because it is doing something...rather than just sitting 'on deck' idle hour after hour.

Is there a setting I can tweak or is this future fix?

Cheers,
B.

Answers

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,554Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Normally that shouldn't happen. Can you post the output of powercfg /requests?

If it turns out to be something complicated, you could do this to provide us with full information:

• stop PMP
    • run powercfg /requests
    • start PMP
    • run powercfg /requests again
    • stop PMP
    • grab the PMP log, and post it with the two powercfg outputs
  • PepperGirlPepperGirl Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same issue with Windows 10. Something changed in Windows 10 and RDP is causing the issue.

I use RDP to connect to my PLEX box and after disconnecting it keeps the computer awake (not PLEX). Restarting the "Remote Desktop Service" clears the issue.

Microsoft link here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_desktop/remote-desktop-host-does-not-allow-host-pc-to/a0c518cc-8a4d-43e5-bcc5-38aa5679dc8a

• d71c71d71c71 Posts: 1Members

I have this problem too. My PC will not sleep (even when I tell it to explicitly) while PMS is running.

powercfg with PMS running:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /requests
    DISPLAY:
    None.

SYSTEM:
    [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Plex Media Server.exe

AWAYMODE:
    [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Plex Media Server.exe

EXECUTION:
    None.

PERFBOOST:
    None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
    None.

powercfg with PMS not running:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /requests
    DISPLAY:
    None.

SYSTEM:
    None.

AWAYMODE:
    None.

EXECUTION:
    None.

PERFBOOST:
    None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
    None.

• CortottoCortotto Posts: 32Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

There is an "official" (five year-old) feature request for this. https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/48706/wol/p1
    You can like the original post to vote for it.

Cheers

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging