Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PMP Embedded build/drivers

AlskaerAlskaer Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

Hi,

I run pmp embedded of a nuc6cays and I am hoping to see better support in the foreseeable furture. The new 7th gen NUC's and pentium NUCs seem very popular on this forum and libreelec. Why then is it, that when running embedded, the system it not able to perform its best, due to what seems like missing updates to player and drivers.

I am of course referencing the fact that i with the NUC6CAYS with windows can play 10bit video and 4k@60 but not the embedded version. And yes, I am aware the fact that 60 is not needed for playback at 99% content, but the interface seems laggy in 30 frames.

1. PMP Embedded is based on OpenELEC -> later ported to LibreELEC - or so claimed in a release note in the 0.x period. But when getting info (overlay) from PMP it says openelec still?
  2. Driver used (for Intel) is MESA 12.0.3. If you look at mesa website, it updates, a lot. Why is it the drivers are not kept up to date?

Moreover, I see libreelec builds with 10-bit support working. I recognize the need for stable platform, but there are users that are looking for bleeding edge, willing to test. Could it be possible to release versions of pmp with a better updated base?

I have thought about compiling my own build, but it might be better if plex distributes one for more to use and experiment.

Best Answer

Answers

• LongChairLongChair Plex Dev Team Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 668 Plex Ninja

Hello,

You are about right for the historical part :)

Currently the PMP embedded build is base on LibreELEC 7.95 codebase.
    We have an almost ready rebased version which will be based on LE 8.0. It's been delayed up to now because some other things needed to be handled first.

That release should happen in the incoming weeks if testing proves it's fine.
    As you will see the next version of mesa in that branch is 13.0.3 https://github.com/plexinc/LibreELEC.tv/blob/libreelec-8.0.0-plex/packages/graphics/mesa/package.mk#L20

Regarding the name in the overlay, this is purely text that would need to be changed, we'll look into this.

Hope this answers your question.

• Wolf_666Wolf_666 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 478 Plex Pass
    edited April 6

Mesa branch 13 is EOL, new development branch is now 17, latest 17.0.3 (1st April 2017): https://www.mesa3d.org/

• danjames92danjames92 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,936 Plex Pass
    edited April 7

@LongChair said:
    Hello,

You are about right for the historical part :)

Currently the PMP embedded build is base on LibreELEC 7.95 codebase.
    We have an almost ready rebased version which will be based on LE 8.0. It's been delayed up to now because some other things needed to be handled first.

That release should happen in the incoming weeks if testing proves it's fine.
    As you will see the next version of mesa in that branch is 13.0.3 https://github.com/plexinc/LibreELEC.tv/blob/libreelec-8.0.0-plex/packages/graphics/mesa/package.mk#L20

Regarding the name in the overlay, this is purely text that would need to be changed, we'll look into this.

Hope this answers your question.

Followup related question: Are we likely to see AMLogic support (at some unspecified point in the future) on devices like the C2 when PMP becomes based on LE8? I can see it was discussed / planned at some point but the devs ran into an issue?

• LongChairLongChair Plex Dev Team Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 668 Plex Ninja
    edited May 19

We dipped a toe into amlogic as a PoC. But we faced some issues.
    Basically PMP uses upstream ffpeg and mpv, amlogic decoding / video display API isn't very friendly to make anything that could be upstreamed to both of these repos, because their decoding API is not so good.

That would require maintaining too many patches at this point. So unless AMLogic comes up with a better decoding API that could make it upstreamable to ffmpeg, there are currently no plans to move that work further.

• vlangvlang Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,436 Plex Employee

Specifically we couldn't get stable video playback without freezes and lockup due to issues with the API (at least not with 4K). If we released it at this state, stability problems would probably go on forever.