Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

What's the best NAS Server to use Plex to stream audio and video to my Apple TV?

Considering Synology, Qnap and Drobo to replace my Drobo 5D. As some personal data is stored there as well, I’d prefer to have a single or even double redundancy support. What should be the recommended hardware configuration (processor, memory, network interface) for a smooth streaming? What else should I need to know?

Answers

• nigelpbnigelpb Posts: 624Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If you have a good Internet connection before spending hundreds on hardware just for Plex you really should look at Plex Cloud . It has a limit of three simultaneous transcodes which should suit most domestic arrangements although probably not those who share their libraries with friends & relatives. The only cost on top of Plex Pass is $10/month for G Suite Business for unlimited Google Drive storage.

Plex Cloud does an outstanding job of transcoding 4K. I uploaded a 65GB 60Mbps 4K UHD Blu-ray rip & this happily plays on all my devices (Roku 3, Roku Ultra, iPhone 6s Plus, Amazon Fire TV 4K, web app on my Retina MacBook Pro etc). It even plays nicely on the iPhone on 3G/4G cellular when away from WiFi.
    Plex Cloud is a game changer.

Anyone thinking of buying hardware for their own Plex Server should think again. provided you have a decent Internet connection Plex Cloud can provide a better Plex experience than local hardware & the cost saving is enormous.

• spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,237Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 10

@nigelpb said:
    If you have a good Internet connection before spending hundreds on hardware just for Plex you really should look at Plex Cloud . It has a limit of three simultaneous transcodes which should suit most domestic arrangements although probably not those who share their libraries with friends & relatives. The only cost on top of Plex Pass is $10/month for G Suite Business for unlimited Google Drive storage.

Plex Cloud does an outstanding job of transcoding 4K. I uploaded a 65GB 60Mbps 4K UHD Blu-ray rip & this happily plays on all my devices (Roku 3, Roku Ultra, iPhone 6s Plus, Amazon Fire TV 4K, web app on my Retina MacBook Pro etc). It even plays nicely on the iPhone on 3G/4G cellular when away from WiFi.

Anyone thinking of buying hardware for their own Plex Server should think again. provided you have a decent Internet connection Plex Cloud can provide a better Plex experience than local hardware & the cost saving is enormous.

This Question gets asked every week. Do a search for NAS or synology or Qnap and give a budget

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

• breakphreak@gmail.combreakphreak@gmail.com Posts: 20Members ✭✭

@nigelpb said:

Thanks. My reason to have NAS is that I also need to keep my personal files such as Ableton projects and film scans.

@spikemixture said:

@nigelpb said:

This Question gets asked every week. Do a search for NAS or synology or Qnap and give a budget

Why not making a sticky note / FAQ article if so? (I'll do the searches now)

• nigelpbnigelpb Posts: 624Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@breakphreak@gmail.com said:

@nigelpb said:

Thanks. My reason to have NAS is that I also need to keep my personal files such as Ableton projects and film scans.

The file sizes of Movies & TV Shows is enormous compared to your personal data. You already have your Drobo so why not just use that for personal files & use Plex Cloud?

I have DAS Drobo, not NAS.

My personal data includes analog film scans and audio music projects/recordings, so it's not very small :)

• sremicksremick Posts: 1,149Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'd definitely advise 2-drives' worth of redundancy in 2017. Anything less is giving a false sense of security. You're setting yourself up for unpleasantness should a drive fail and you try to resilver with zero redundancy left. RAID5 is like feeling safe owning a fire extinguisher that only has 1 second's worth of contents.

If you plan on transcoding on your NAS, I'd advise against buying an off-the-shelf consumer NAS and instead building one yourself with sufficient horsepower. A modernized version of mine can support 6 drives and can be done for under $800 sans drives.

My server (35W idle, silent):

Software: PMS 1.7.1.3856 running in a jail on FreeNAS 9.10.2
    Motherboard: ASRock E3C226D2I Mini-ITX Server Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1271 v3 Quad-Core 3.6GHz 8MB LGA1150 (Passmark: 10204)
    CPU cooler: Thermalright TRUE Spirit 120M(BW) Rev.A
    RAM: Crucial 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC 1.35V CT2KIT102472BD160B
    HDDs: 6x WD Red NAS 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" WD30EFRX (RAIDZ2)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum Series SS-400FL2 Active PFC F3 400W ATX12V Fanless 80 PLUS Platinum Certified
    Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (8.27"x9.84"x14.72")