If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Player for Protected Channels (DRM)

agholsoppleagholsopple Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is plex ever planning on making their player able to play and/or record protected channels? I would like to know before i pay for a subscription to use HDHomerun's app to record TV.

Answers

• jpcomputersjpcomputers Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I would also like to know this.

• hitnrun30hitnrun30 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I dont get it, I got the HD Home Run with the cable card. HD HomeRun app works great with the DRM channels, plex should be fine as well.

• SiscoPlexSiscoPlex Posts: 961Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@hitnrun30 said:
    I dont get it, I got the HD Home Run with the cable card. HD HomeRun app works great with the DRM channels, plex should be fine as well.

That's not how it works....... Plex would need to write the code to pass the protected path to the end device(and be certified to do so).

• sGarversGarver Posts: 473Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@SiscoPlex said:

@hitnrun30 said:

That's not how it works....... Plex would need to write the code to pass the protected path to the end device(and be certified to do so).

AND, Plex would incur a re-occurring licensing fee for use of such certification. Meaning, passing the cost on to us users.

• esmarqesmarq Posts: 43Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 11

plex wasnt design to play drm protected channels. plex isnt tivo or hdhomerun app that were made to play drm channels out of the box. maybe in the future but right now plex dvr hasnt fully matured yet.

• hitnrun30hitnrun30 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

But then why make it work with a tuner that uses a cable card.

• sGarversGarver Posts: 473Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

1) Because not all cable stations are/were DRM'ed.
    2) The codebase (firmware) for the different HD Homerun devices were close enough to allow one driver to access them all.