Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

FOX & Comedy Central Channel Issues

nmexmp13nmexmp13 Members Posts: 3 ✭✭

I know others have mentioned issues also but I'll reiterate with the latest PMS version, FOX and Comedy Central are issues.

The menus work up until you select an episode to play and get the "There was a problem playing this item"

Surprised this hasn't been addressed as its been ongoing for a few weeks now from what I can see.

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• marktheredmarkthered Members, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

I have the same issue with Fox. Apparently Fox checks to see what client is streaming the content and blocks certain devices.

For instance, Fox channel works on my Plex app on my phone, but my home OPENPht media player and through the web browser it gives errors.

It has something to do with this. Checking / Unchecking DirectPlay is a non-working BS solution. People who post that are trolling you.

• sander1sander1 Channel Developer/Admin Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 3,629 Plex Ninja

For Comedy Central see: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1418968/#Comment_1418968
    FOX is on my list to look into, but I guess it's te exact same situation as with Comedy Central: channel and service working fine, just lots of incompatible Plex clients.

• sander1sander1 Channel Developer/Admin Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 3,629 Plex Ninja

@markthered said:
    I have the same issue with Fox. Apparently Fox checks to see what client is streaming the content and blocks certain devices.

That is incorrect. Some devices are not compatible with the way FOX streams their videos. Nothing is being blocked.

For instance, Fox channel works on my Plex app on my phone, but my home OPENPht media player and through the web browser it gives errors.

If it works with at least 1 client, it means the channel is not broken, it's the same incompatibility issue.

Checking / Unchecking DirectPlay is a non-working BS solution. People who post that are trolling you.

I don't know why you think that, but unchecking direct play can help. It is a way for incompatible clients to get (forced) help from the Plex server, which usually IS able to convert the videos into a format that IS working on the client.

• ghindmanghindman Members, Plex Pass Posts: 28 Plex Pass
    edited May 11

I have Plex running on a Samsung KS8000 TV with the samsung native app, and unchecking direct-stream/direct-play didn't do anything to correct this - still got the "There was a problem playing this item" error. I don't have issues to any of my Roku devices. There's also some allusion to the format that Fox uses being incompatible with some clients, but nobody ever gives any details as to what that format is.

EDIT: saw the reference to HTTP Live Stream in the other thread you linked re the format incompatibility - thanks for that. That said, I have a SKL i7 w/ 16GB of RAM - more than capable of live transcode - but still fails with direct-stream/direct-play disabled in the Samsung client.

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Posts: 2,540 Plex Ninja

Just to restate, first you must be in the US (using IP spoofing methods does not guarantee success), since the websites for the channels mentioned in this topic are restricted to US IP addresses.

The Roku can direct play the encrypted HLS videos offered by the websites accessed in these channels, but other players/devices may not be able to direct play encrypted HLS videos.

Disabling direct play on a player/device just forces the Plex Media Server to transcode the videos. This is a way to bypass Plex player apps that cannot direct play encrypted HLS videos and are not properly programmed to automatically send those videos to Plex Media Server to be transcoded.

There are no errors or issues with the Plex channels, so if disabling direct play on your Plex player does not allow the videos to play, then there is an issue with your Plex Media Server properly transcoding the encrypted HLS videos. Plex Media Server should be able to transcode encrypted HLS videos. So, that is an issue that would need to be reported to the section of the forum for Plex Media Server for your operating system.

• omegabluesomegablues Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Repeated issues with both. Mainly Fox News in my case since I watch it more often. Narrowed it to an slightly incompatible plex version on my Samsung smart tv. As I upgrade to 1.4x the issues began and on to 1.5x they have continued. Upgraded the plex on the Samsung as far as they have but still issues. If I downgrade to a version in the 1.3x range. All the problems seem to go away. As someone mentioned above, the receiving client is most likely the culprit. Best case is to utilize Plex client on Roku or even your media server connected to your tv or a/v system, etc... anything but your smart tv. They always seem to lag behind in offering client updates.