If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

2016 Samsung TV Plex client just stopped working

Hi Guys,
Interesting issue.
3-4 month old Samsung KS8000 "Smart" TV, with Plex client built in, works mostly OK, bit kludgy in places but generally better then the basic Samsung DLNA client, prettier pictures!

Anyway, it just stopped working. No idea why. Open the client in the usual way & it tells me it can't connect to the server & now I don't have it I'm actually quite lost without it!

There's a primary & a backup Plex server, on same subnet, used to work OK with DHCP, tried static & didn't fix it.
Tried the "power TV off for 10 minutes" fix (basic heldesk 101) no fix. Removed all settings, re-entered, no fix. Rebooted servers, no fix.
Tizen 2.40 (apparently latest)
Plex client 3.0.11 (3.1.0) (no obvious update mechanism)
Plex servers 0.9.12.19 & 0.9.9.7 both worked well, previously, and still do with LG "smart" TV.

Got a full tcpdump from the primary server, attached, seems to show a successful initial contact, HTTP get, response = OK, then some no-ops & then 3-way Fin-Ack close, all quite sensible, no obvious errors, no firewalls, no clues.
Checked tcpdump on secondary server = identical. So clearly it's a Samsung bug, questions are:
Why did it suddenly stop?
How can I get it to start again?!

Any suggestions welcome, thanks in advance.
TTFN
Lee

Answers

• quiksilver1979quiksilver1979 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

I'm having the same issue, none of the Support FAQ stuff works. Can access the server fine on iPhone 6S, Web Client on my MacBook and also from an Android Plex app - Just the Samsung TV seems to have broken since the update to Plex client 3.0.11 (3.1.0) on 12/04/17. Can someone fix this and update the app please? Or roll back to the previous version until a fix has been found? I'm not able to use Plex with my TV at all!

Thanks,

Steve.

If it ain't broke, fiddle with it till it is...

• dumbtechiedumbtechie Posts: 12Members ✭✭

Did some more digging, didn't come up with anything useful.
    Only Plex client I could find was for 2011-2015, version 2.00, so not goinging to help.

So I did some testing with debug enabled. Still no clues.
    I've attached the two logs which had something related to my opening the client, no errors.
    Attached anyway, in case someone wants to see a complete debug dumpt before answering.
    The request is timestamped at Apr 17, 2017 01:13:54, as you can see - no errors.

Thanks in advance.

• jjrjr1jjrjr1 Posts: 1,714Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 17

Maybe try in the PMS Server network settings adding the TVs ip to the "List of IPs and Networks allowed without auth" settings..

Just a wild thing to try maybe will work.
    format is
    device ip address/255.255.255.000

Oh.. and maybe update PMS to current version.

• duchkataduchkata Posts: 1Members

I updated my PMS to the current version and now it's working again.

Hi Guys,
    So I hit a few snags installing the update, killed the server & reinstalled from scratch.
    Why is it now asking me for a username & password?
    It never has done before - where do I set those?
    This isn't going to be an extension of my LG plex client which can't seem to connect to the plex server (2 feet away) if the Internet or the wifi is down (again), is it?

Getting a bit fed up with stuff just breaking with no apparent reason, not just plex, but android stuff, windows just keeps moving the cheese, it's really getting me down ;-(
    if it aint broke - why do they keep fixing it?

Update - I "signed in" with my plex credentials, but now I have no "server". WTF?
    All I have now is a web client - huh?
    I hit the "help" button & all I see is "pay please" hints all over the place.
    Frankly I'm getting a wee bit fed up with this game.

Is this the reason for the "update" - to force everyone to pay up?
    I'm all in favour of paying for stuff, but not when forced into it by stealthy means, that's just mean.
    I'm open to suggestions...please can someone suggest how to get it working again?

Ta

(or another media server which isn't going to stiff me at no notice!)

• kelvinbriscallkelvinbriscall Posts: 6Members

I'm having the same issue with a newer Samsung Tizen TV (2.4.0) and Plex 3.0.11 (3.1.0).
    I've checked my server update status and it says its correct (although my PMS is on an old OSX10.6.8 box, which will only run PMS 0.9.11.4 - and nothing newer (10.6.8 is also the latest OSX that the box can run, so I'm kinda stuck there!)
    This has definitely only occurred since the 3.0.11 update on 12 April.
    From what you've said above, I can only assume that the latest Tizen app has not been regression tested right back to the PMS version that I'm running.
    I see that Kay.One provides the notes for the Tizen releases, so I'll message him now and ask him to comment on this thread.

• sarcassticsarcasstic Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am also having this issue on my Samsung 8K..posted in the wrong section. I am also running PMS 0.9.11.12 on an old 10.6.8 box....all my other TVs and iOS devices work so it's definitely something to do with the new app update.

Hope they fix it.

My final check of the evening - I installed a new/temp PMS on my MacBook, pointed it to some content and bam: it showed up on the TV client.
    So it's definitely the new TV client not talking to the old PMS.
    The TV client now says of my normal (and long-standing) PMS "This server requires a software update" - but the PMS is showing that it is up to date (as far as it can be.)

Kelvin to my knowledge we are on the latest PMS version for our 10.6.8 boxes...I really hope they fix it as I cannot afford to build another PMS to just be able to run the latest PMS software. Your temp setup....was it running 10.6.8 as well?

OK, not quite the last try.
    I went back to jjrjr1's post and read the details on the specified no auth IP config: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200430283-Network

Previously, I had mistakenly entered 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0 (which is the IP of my PMS and the netmask) - this didnt work.
    However, once I changed this to the IP of my router (with the same netmask) - it worked! (On the TV client, Retry didnt work for me, but Try Home did.)

To be clear - I tried this with my new/temp PMS still setup, so at the top of the TV client, I can choose between PMSs. My normal PMS is still showing as "Needs Update", but it works.

I then switched off the new/temp PMS, so the TV couldnt connect. Interestingly, I then got an new message on the TV, that highlighted a new feature - Settings, Main, "Allow fallback to Insecure connections..." which I hadn't seen before (partly due to the title being cropped). I selected "on same network as server."
    To test this, I then deleted the IP and netmask from the server settings - and...BAM! The TV still connects.

So - IN SHORT:
    You only need to adjust the setting on the client:
    Settings - Main - "Allow fallback to Insecure connections..." - "on same network as server."

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks guys for the inspiration!

Latest part of the problem was using the server name in the url to get to Plex server for the first time.
    Don't do that. ;-) it won't find a server, just s stoopid client only front-end!

Anyway, by asking for the ip address http://1.2.3.4:32400/ I got the helpful bit saying "we've found a server"".
    So we're at least at stage 2, I can configure this & re-test.
    (Found in the logs a reference to the fact that the server doesn't know its own name - so it's not really a very hooked-up linux app is it).
    Will update once I have done that, then document it for anyone else unlucky enough to have a stoopid Samsung TV.
    (Or stoopid enough to think it would be any better than the stoopid LG I bought before!).

Only taken 12 hours so far, so not bad considering!
    ;-)

Hi Sarcasstic - in response to your earlier post, no - the temp PMS was on a fully upto date Sierra OS.
    Let me know if you got it working using the above IN SHORT post.

Dumbtechie - have you simplified this back to putting both on the same network at letting the client find the server (with plex.tv/link process), to prove it's not the new security check that seems to have been baked into the client?

Hi Kelvinbriscall
    Hmm, they always were on the same subnet. The new security check was the issue for a while there, stupid server didn't seem to know its own name. Getting there with ip address got enough of a server config page to fix that & the no-auth subnet, so accessing from TV again now.

Sadly though, it's two steps forward & one back with this!
    Now I've got a server, and some content, (without using ANY of the local artwork so the pictures are now rubbish, and because the whole database got broke, everything's unwatched), but none of it will play!

Mighty frustrating, hugely time consuming (dozens of hours) all due to some twit who broke the samsung client, nice.
    Anyway, still battling away, am further away from ditching it than I was, so that's good, i guess.

Will document (assuming i remember all the steps) once finished, assuming...
    ;-)

Funny you should say "two steps forward..."
    I returned to Plex on Samsung this evening - and it didnt work!

So I went about re-establishing the temp server on my macbook (using the latest PMS file.)
    I logged out of plex on the Samsung TV and then signed back in teh with /link process - bam - connected straight to the temp server AND had my normal server in the top right drop down as an alternative - I selected this and it works.
    I should also note that I added the router IP and netmask to the normal PMS no-auth box again (as I removed it yesterday.)

My plan now is to leave the temp server registered with my account, but switched off (I was being tidy yesterday and removed it) - and see if having both PMSs has a different longer term impact. I'll report back tomorrow.

Oh - and I think you must have a slightly different or more complex issue, as I have my artwork intact and it appears to be playing ok.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 28,825Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    edited April 20

@dumbtechie said:
    Only Plex client I could find was for 2011-2015, version 2.00, so not goinging to help.

I've attached the two logs which had something related to my opening the client, no errors.
    Attached anyway, in case someone wants to see a complete debug dumpt before answering.
    The request is timestamped at Apr 17, 2017 01:13:54, as you can see - no errors.

Thanks in advance.

What is the reason for running with a very old unsupported version of Plex Media Server ?
    The log shows version 0.9.12.19 - A November 2015 release

There is now a mandatory update to version 1.5.1 or higher
    See http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/268072/plex-media-server-1-5-1-and-plex-media-player-1-2-4-or-newer-are-mandatory-updates#latest

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

@sa2000 said:

@dumbtechie said:

Thanks in advance.

What is the reason for running with a very old unsupported version of Plex Media Server ?
    The log shows version 0.9.12.19 - A November 2015 release

There is now a mandatory update to version 1.5.1 or higher
    See http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/268072/plex-media-server-1-5-1-and-plex-media-player-1-2-4-or-newer-are-mandatory-updates#latest

So if this is true....this is what I was hoping to avoid. The reason my PMS is still running 0.9.12.... is because I still use an old Macbook that only runs 10.6.8. So basically if I want to use the new Plex app on my "newer" TV I will have to update my PMS....

So I have failed to find the answer to the above "won't play" issue.
    "Sorry, there was a problem playing this item"
    After much googling, I set a transcoding directory (why isn't it set to a default value?), and it's using it, with the web front-end client. I checked.
    Unfortunately, that's the only answer i've found & I'm once again losing the will to live. ;-(

So current status is worse than I started with, because Plex client isn't working on either server, and samsung DLNA client won't work either (not pretty anyway). Hurumph.

Any suggestions please?
    (Buy a synology box maybe?)

Hi sa2000,
    Thanks for the suggestions, all welcome.
    (I may yet install a windows or OSX fresh PMS, before I'm done!)

As for the "why", well, I'm a very seasoned techie, so I'm far too familiar with updates that break stuff, so I've developed an approach over the years of "ain't broke, don't fix it". This has saved many thousands of hours of messing about trying to solve issues injected by poor QA. Not mentioning any operating systems in particular (cough-windows).
    Why upgrade anything when it's working & it might break? Unless for a specific feature.
    If I had the choice, the stoopid TV would not be installing stoopid updates I didn't ask for & I would be 25 hours (and counting) out of pocket & have a very unhappy family & be very irritated. (grr)
    Still, mustn't grumble! ;-)

Anyway, after doing more digging, I now have found a possible fix, which involved changing my fstab file & rebooting, possibly kiling my whole server (ok I exaggerate but you get the idea).
    I'm also in parallel trying out a Synology diskstation which appears to have a samsung client, can't help feeling it's a new can of worms, but who knows?

Keep the suggestions coming, I WILL write this up into some form of useful note once complete, I promise!

kind regards to all.