If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Resumed videos always begin at the start

jgordonwalkerjgordonwalker Posts: 8Members ✭✭

For a while now every time I return to a film I'm watching from the Plex on my computer, the web player will ask, "Resume from 38:10" or whatever. But, when I select the time, it will briefly show the progress bar filled in to the appropriate time, only to be immediately reset to the start and the film starts from the beginning.
If I resume the same film on my phone or if I start it on my Chromecast it resumes correctly. Is this a bug in the player or something that needs to be reset on my server?

I'm running Chrome version 57.0.2987.133, running on Windows 7, with Plex version 1.5.3.3580 running on an Ubuntu 16.04 server. The problem has persisted through the last two Plex upgrades.

Answers

• brian.young111brian.young111 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having the same issue with Chrome. I can resume the same video from Firefox and from my phone with no issue.

• wwwizzarrdrywwwizzarrdry Posts: 243Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same problem. Only just noticed it. It's not consistent though as so.etimes it resumes and sometimes it starts over.

• jgordonwalkerjgordonwalker Posts: 8Members ✭✭

The problem has now spread to films being streamed to my TV's Chromecast, they no longer resume even though the app clear knows the point at which viewing left off. It offers to restart, say, 1:12 into the film, pauses, and then plays from the beginning.

Is there no-one who has a clue as to what's happening, or are there any diagnostic steps I can take, any logs to send?

• KingloreKinglore Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 5

I am having the same issue using Windows Chrome Version 58.0.3029.96 (64-bit). I just tested Internet Explorer and it works. Version 11.0.9600.18638 CO.
    I tried chrome in incognito mode as well and it didnt work

Android phone plex app works fine, Android phone chrome does not work.

Using an android phone with Plex app, when resuming a cast to chromecast it starts at the begining instead of the resume time.

• javovojavovo Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same for me streaming to Roku. Resume always starts at the beginning and most times I can't even fast-forward back to the resume spot. It will always play from the beginning.

• DenzoNLDenzoNL Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm experiencing the same issues with both the Web Player (in Chrome) and the Google Chromecast. I haven't experienced the issue with the LG and Samsung Smart TV apps.

edited May 17

On 5/15/2017 evening there was an update to my android Plex app and it seemed to fix my issues.

edited May 18

Update: resume seems fixed for android, but still getting periodic stopping. I noticed when it starts to pause/stop that the app time is counting like it's playing and is behind what time Chromecast shows it to be when it's paused.

Can anyone else verify that this is also happening to you?

• lordmagisterlordmagister Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Resume not fixed for Chrome (Web) or Chromecast, but appears to be working for iOS.

• sunrocksunrock Posts: 197Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

this works for the web player, but not for the chrome app for me. iow, web player resumes fine, and chrome app does not even though I'm prompted like OP says

• nicolidarkknicolidarkk Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have been getting this from friends that are using different devices. iOS, Android, Samsung, TV apps... The web player seems to be the only place the resume feature works.

Server: Gigabyte motherboard, i5 Haswell, 8 Gigs ram, 128SSD Main drive, 18 tb of WD Red storage, 3 tb of WD Green storage, 4 tb of Hitachi storage, Current version of Ubuntu Linux Desktop version, Current version of Plex Pass server

Players: 3 Gen 2 Chromecasts, 3 Android tablets, 2 Samsung S7s, 2 Xbox Ones

Is there any update on this issue? This has been broken for four months now and, going from the responses here, doesn't seem to be an isolated incident. Is there any indication that anyone is looking at it or working on it?

• nicolidarkknicolidarkk Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I haven't had an issue for a few months now. One thing I know is that when it resumes there is a split second where it says it is negative the amount of time it needs to resume but it still resumes.

Server: Gigabyte motherboard, i5 Haswell, 8 Gigs ram, 128SSD Main drive, 18 tb of WD Red storage, 3 tb of WD Green storage, 4 tb of Hitachi storage, Current version of Ubuntu Linux Desktop version, Current version of Plex Pass server

Players: 3 Gen 2 Chromecasts, 3 Android tablets, 2 Samsung S7s, 2 Xbox Ones

This ongoing issue with Plex being unable to pick up where it left off is still happening. I just reproduced it with the latest server version and captured the attached logs. I started playing "The King's Speech" at 11:41 on 26th August, it attempted to restore the position (about 35 minutes in) and then played it from the start. I've tried to look at the logs myself and all I can see that catches my eye is this message,
    Aug 26, 2017 11:41:05.249 [0x7f831a3fe700] DEBUG - Failed to stream media, client probably disconnected: 32 - Broken pipe

Is anyone looking at this or is there any kind of bug reporting procedure beyond this forum?