If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

4k Direct Play Issues

d.adamsd.adams Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi All looking for some assistance with a plex 4k direct play setup.

Seems like 4k is having buffering issues, ive tried all sorts of manual buffering settings on the APP
works fine to my pc on pmp.

Also can anyone point out any guides or documentation about reading the logs.
and does anyone know if the Samsung smart hub app, has any ability to check media or the buffer %

PMS is hosted on a PowerEdge R710 ESXI Host V 5.50
Windows 7 Host
10vCPU, 16 GB, 140GB SSD
Wired Connectivty, 1gb everywhere. IP 192.168.0.77

Played on a:
UA65HU8500 IP192.168.0.110
Unit has been ugraded with the
One Connect Evoloution kit SEK2500

Media is

Files

K:_Jason Bourne (2016) 2160p 4K UltraHD BluRay (x265 HEVC 10bit) 2ch AC3__Jason Bourne (2016) 2160p 4K UltraHD BluRay (x265 HEVC 10bit) 2ch AC3_.mkv
Media

Video Resolution 4K
Duration 2:03:36
Bitrate 60180 kbps
Width 3840
Height 2160
Aspect Ratio 1.78
Container MKV
Video Frame Rate 24p
Video Profile main 10
Part

Duration 2:03:36
File Jason Bourne (2016) 2160p 4K UltraHD BluRay (x265 HEVC 10bit) 2ch AC3.mkv
Size 51.96 GB
Container MKV
Video Profile main 10
Codec HEVC
Bitrate 59540 kbps
Bit Depth 10
Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
Color Range tv
Color Space smpte170m
Frame Rate 23.976 fps
Height 2160
Level 6.1
Profile main 10
Ref Frames 1
Width 3840
Codec AC3
Channels Stereo
Bitrate 640 kbps
Audio Channel Layout stereo
Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
Title Stereo

Answers

• tarneckitarnecki Posts: 83Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi all,
    just got myself a Samsung UE49KU6400 and looking into the 4k movies. it looks like even if im direct play the video (even with 90gb) files i seems to be transcoding truehd and dts audio and that buffers quite a lot! any tips please??

system: Intel Xeon X5670 2.93GHz (2 processors), 32 GB RAM, 21TB WD RED, Windows Server 2012 R2
    network: 300/20
    local clients: Samsung Smart 3D TV (UE46F6320), Samsung Smart 4K TV (UE49KU6400), Raspberry Pi 2 (RasPlex), Amazon Fire TV.
    remote clients: iPad Air 2, iPad 2017 9.7, Surface Pro 4, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, Kindle Fire HD.

• jjrjr1jjrjr1 Posts: 1,945Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

First of all any 4K in a MKV container will be transcoded by Plex.
    Re-mux the file to mp4..

• Samsung JU7500Samsung JU7500 Posts: 19Members ✭✭

@tarnecki said:
    Hi all,
    just got myself a Samsung UE49KU6400 and looking into the 4k movies. it looks like even if im direct play the video (even with 90gb) files i seems to be transcoding truehd and dts audio and that buffers quite a lot! any tips please??

KU6400 it's a 2016 model for which the app is developed by Plex team not Orca. You should try post you question over here : https://forums.plex.tv/categories/smart-tvs
    Samsung tv does support DTS without transcoding, not the TrueHD though, as far as I know.

@jjrjr1 said:
    First of all any 4K in a MKV container will be transcoded by Plex.
    Re-mux the file to mp4..

I beg to differ, I play 4K in a MKV format in direct play with no problems. Transcoding could be caused by subtitles that are not supported by the tv and plex has to transcode them to a format suported by the tv.
    My setup can play 4K at 61379kbps without any trouble or buffering; W7, Plex 1.5.3.3580, Tv JU7500. All played over WiFi R6300v1 router on DD-WRT firmware. Tv is on the main level, router on the second level.

• jjrjr1jjrjr1 Posts: 1,945Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hmmm.
    I did not know WiFi could support that bitrate..
    What happens when a second device tries to play one of those??

• tarneckitarnecki Posts: 83Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

KU6400 it's a 2016 model for which the app is developed by Plex team not Orca. You should try post you question over here : https://forums.plex.tv/categories/smart-tvs
    Samsung tv does support DTS without transcoding, not the TrueHD though, as far as I know.

There's no selected subtitles when the video is being played so yes bit strange if DTS is supported - i even tried to enable DTS with app preferences - didn't make any difference.

I will post the question to the other section - thanks!

system: Intel Xeon X5670 2.93GHz (2 processors), 32 GB RAM, 21TB WD RED, Windows Server 2012 R2
    network: 300/20
    local clients: Samsung Smart 3D TV (UE46F6320), Samsung Smart 4K TV (UE49KU6400), Raspberry Pi 2 (RasPlex), Amazon Fire TV.
    remote clients: iPad Air 2, iPad 2017 9.7, Surface Pro 4, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, Kindle Fire HD.

• d.adamsd.adams Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

my issue is buffering with direct play, confirmed on the status window, i can only assume that the TV cant handle direct playing the media

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,483Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited April 2017

4K can only be played if:

• The video format is Samsung compatible.
    • The playback mode is set to Direct Play

If you select a file that has embedded subtitles that needs transcoding, this will not work.
    The only option then is to extract the subtitles into and external .srt file and remove the subtitle track from the video.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

• d.adamsd.adams Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Orca said:
    4K can only be played if:

• The video format is Samsung compatible.
    • The playback mode is set to Direct Play

If you select a file that has embedded subtitles that needs transcoding, this will not work.
    The only option then is to extract the subtitles into and external .srt file and remove the subtitle track from the video.

Hi Orca,

The Media does not have any subtitles.
    And I can confirm 100% it's using direct play, but I'm still having buffering issues
    can you advise as to why the buffering is occurring, or what additional things you would suggest to resolve ?

does the plex Samsung app have any detailed logs that describe why the issue may be occurring, such as onscreen media information/ buffer % empty?

I've attached the logs from the pms server and ticked the box in the app to send logs to the server.

• loose809loose809 Posts: 8Members ✭✭

@jjrjr1 Actually this is not true, PMP on my VIZIO 4k tv direct plays 4k content, it also direct plays on my iMac non 4k PMP. Plex needs to fix this issue, not all PMP's direct play 4K, but some do. what gives ? in other forums people are saying this wasn't an issue since upgrading PMS, this has nothing to do with the file, the server is not communicating properly with certain PMP's.