Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Windows 10, no DTS Audio

DustSt0rmDustSt0rm Members, Plex Pass Posts: 56 Plex Pass
edited April 17 in Plex Media Player

i have been using plex for quite a while locally on the server. i recently had a requirement (baby like bright button!) to move the server out of the Home Theater and into an audio Rack (out of sight). when i did this i went out and bought a refurbished Lenovo M92 pc (super tiny and doesn't use much power) and did a clean install of Windows 10 (don't want bloat!).

Whenever i play a video that is DTS encoded i don't get any audio without triggering the transcoding. Any other video file i play works without issue (direct play\stream). when i play the same problematic video through VLC or the Plex web client it plays the DTS audio no problem, so i dont think it is the DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI active converter i have inline to my Denon Receiver (supports DTS Audio , DTS-HD, True HD, Dolby Plus etc.).

I have updated every Intel chipset driver\firmware i can find and scoured the google for helpful results (the RealTek chipset is only used for the analog ports). cant find anything. any ideas?? this is obnoxious!

Tagged:

Answers

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 27,449 Plex Team Member

@DustSt0rm said:
    i have been using plex for quite a while locally on the server. i recently had a requirement (baby like bright button!) to move the server out of the Home Theater and into an audio Rack (out of sight). when i did this i went out and bought a refurbished Lenovo M92 pc (super tiny and doesn't use much power) and did a clean install of Windows 10 (don't want bloat!).

Whenever i play a video that is DTS encoded i don't get any audio without triggering the transcoding. Any other video file i play works without issue (direct play\stream). when i play the same problematic video through VLC or the Plex web client it plays the DTS audio no problem, so i dont think it is the DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI active converter i have inline to my Denon Receiver (supports DTS Audio , DTS-HD, True HD, Dolby Plus etc.).

I have updated every Intel chipset driver\firmware i can find and scoured the google for helpful results (the RealTek chipset is only used for the analog ports). cant find anything. any ideas?? this is obnoxious!

Lets get some logs. Enable logging first on the server (debug) and the Plex Media Player

See
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201643703-Reporting-issues-with-Plex-Media-Server
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/207338748-Plex-Media-Player-Logs

So enable logging, restart the server, wait 5 minutes and then reproduce and get server and plex media player logs and details of what the audio settings are within Plex Media Player
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/208053067-Settings-for-Plex-Media-Player

I have replied to your other identical thread https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/268216/windows-10-no-dts-audio#latest

I am leaving this open in case it turns out to be a Plex Media Player issue/setup issue

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• DustSt0rmDustSt0rm Members, Plex Pass Posts: 56 Plex Pass

@sa2000 said:

@DustSt0rm said:

Lets get some logs. Enable logging first on the server (debug) and the Plex Media Player

See
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201643703-Reporting-issues-with-Plex-Media-Server

So enable logging, restart the server, wait 5 minutes and then reproduce and get server and plex media player logs and details of what the audio settings are within Plex Media Player
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/208053067-Settings-for-Plex-Media-Player

I have replied to your other identical thread https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/268216/windows-10-no-dts-audio#latest

I am leaving this open in case it turns out to be a Plex Media Player issue/setup issue

Thank you for the reply! i will leave all the information in this thread since it is likely my setup or PMP issue and not PMS.

attached are logs for PMS and PMP (labeled accordingly).

i did look at the Audio FAQ again and noticed that i do not have the "Show Advanced Settings" option. has this been deprecated or do i not support something? attached is a screenshot of my current config

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 27,449 Plex Team Member

@DustSt0rm said:

@sa2000 said:

@DustSt0rm said:

See

Thank you for the reply! i will leave all the information in this thread since it is likely my setup or PMP issue and not PMS.

attached are logs for PMS and PMP (labeled accordingly).

i did look at the Audio FAQ again and noticed that i do not have the "Show Advanced Settings" option. has this been deprecated or do i not support something? attached is a screenshot of my current config

Thank you for the logs and screenshot. You are right in that Plex Media Server is not relevant to the issue. Plex Media Player is using Direct Play to get the mkv from the server. It is then using system audio codecs

2017-04-20 19:24:57 [ INFO  ] CodecsComponent.cpp @ 1278 - Using system audio decoders: true 
    . . .
    2017-04-20 19:24:57 [ INFO  ] PlayerComponent.cpp @ 502 - cplayer: AO: [wasapi] 192000Hz 7.1 8ch spdif-dtshd 
    2017-04-20 19:24:57 [ DEBUG ] PlayerComponent.cpp @ 500 - cplayer: AO: Description: Windows WASAPI audio output (event mode) 

It played for about a minute until you paused it

2017-04-20 19:24:57 [ INFO  ] JS: [Timeline] playing, 82/8037387 
    2017-04-20 19:24:57 [ INFO  ] JS: [PlayerController] State change playing 
    2017-04-20 19:25:07 [ INFO  ] JS: [Timeline] playing, 9843/8037387 
    2017-04-20 19:25:17 [ INFO  ] JS: [Timeline] playing, 19852/8037387 
    2017-04-20 19:25:27 [ INFO  ] JS: [Timeline] playing, 29822/8037387 
    2017-04-20 19:25:37 [ INFO  ] JS: [Timeline] playing, 39832/8037387 
    2017-04-20 19:25:47 [ INFO  ] JS: [Timeline] playing, 49842/8037387 

2017-04-20 19:25:53 [ DEBUG ] InputComponent.cpp @ 152 - Input received: source: "Keyboard" keycode: "Space" : InputBase::InputkeyState(KeyDown) 
    2017-04-20 19:25:53 [ DEBUG ] InputComponent.cpp @ 221 - Emit input action: ("space", "play_pause") 
    2017-04-20 19:25:53 [ INFO  ] PlayerComponent.cpp @ 382 - Entering state: paused 
    2017-04-20 19:25:53 [ INFO  ] JS: [Timeline] paused, 55638/8037387 

I will continue looking into this tomorrow. getting very late now

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• lisagoodlisagood Members, Plex Pass Posts: 211 Plex Pass

Have you tried ticking exclusive mode? Did you say that you have definitely got 8ch DTS-HD MA to play from that machine in a different player?

@sa2000, yea i only played the video for 55 seconds. Validated no audio and stopped. I appreciate the help.

@lisagood, i know that I have some content that is DTS-MA but truthfully, i don't remember which ones are or aren't. I know my denon receiver supports (x3000) all of the above formats. The FAQ doesn't make it sound like exclusive really does anything other than only allow audio to come from plex.

The way i see audio decompression is to offload the work from the computer and send it to the purpose built device to do it job. This would technically also save resources on the player since it doesn't have to do anything but send the compressed audio downstream instead of process it. Just my thoughts, would be happy to discuss or read up on other opinions :)

I am just checking whether the audio device on your player is capable of outputting DTS-HD MA. Exclusive mode will also bypass the Windows Audio mixer, in case it is that which is downmixing the audio.

@lisagood said:
    I am just checking whether the audio device on your player is capable of outputting DTS-HD MA. Exclusive mode will also bypass the Windows Audio mixer, in case it is that which is downmixing the audio.

Ah, so if i want to skip PMP all together, enable exclusive mode. I can try that and see. I am leaving for the weekend, so if not today maybe early next week.

edited April 21

If you tick exclusive mode in PMP, it will rule out that the Windows Audio mixer is messing with the audio, you still use PMP. This will not rule out whether your device is capable of outputting DTS HD MA.

@lisagood said:
    If you tick exclusive mode in PMP, it will rule out that the Windows Audio mixer is messing with the audio, you still use PMP. This will not rule out whether your device is capable of outputting DTS HD MA.

so i just messed with the PMP settings a bit. turns out this video is actually DTS-HD MA (although Plex recognizes it as just DTS). when i unchecked the Audio Settings for DTS-HD MA it starts to work fine (with Exclusive mode both checked an unchecked).

i assume this means that my receiver is now handling the audio decompression? why cant PMP handle this?

@sa2000 , did you come up with anything after looking through the logs some more?

Is the behaviour any different if you use one hdmi cable from the lenovo pc to the Denon receiver?

@lisagood said:
    Is the behaviour any different if you use one hdmi cable from the lenovo pc to the Denon receiver?

Sadly i cannot, only have a display port out... But since it works in vlc and when i uncheck DTS-HD MA, i don't think it would be the adapter.

@DustSt0rm said:

@lisagood said:

Sadly i cannot, only have a display port out... But since it works in vlc and when i uncheck DTS-HD MA, i don't think it would be the adapter.

Okay. If you uncheck DTS HD MA, that means plex is doing the decoding and sending multi channel PCM to your amp. There shouldn't be any loss in quality so you could just leave it there.

The fact that it doesn't work with dts hd ma ticked means that something in the link between the pc and amp does not support dts hd ma.

@lisagood said:

@DustSt0rm said:

@lisagood said:

Okay. If you uncheck DTS HD MA, that means plex is doing the decoding and sending multi channel PCM to your amp. There shouldn't be any loss in quality so you could just leave it there.

The fact that it doesn't work with dts hd ma ticked means that something in the link between the pc and amp does not support dts hd ma.

but that doesn't explain why VLC would work. or i am misunderstanding.

@DustSt0rm said:

@lisagood said:

@DustSt0rm said:

@lisagood said:

If you playback the exact same file in vlc, what shows on the display of the Denon amp - does it say pcm or dts or dts hd ma or something else?

@lisagood said:

@DustSt0rm said:

@lisagood said:

@DustSt0rm said:

@lisagood said:

If you playback the exact same file in vlc, what shows on the display of the Denon amp - does it say pcm or dts or dts hd ma or something else?

always says Multi In (which i believe means PCM) when i am in windows or VLC.

when i unchecked the box in PMP it changed to DTS (which makes sense). my receiver, according to windows and Denon's website, supports DTS-HD and DTS Audio.

Okay. It sounds like your PC doesn't support DTS HD MA. Or, maybe the adapter. If you go to control panel - sound - and look at the properties of the selected sound device, there should be a supported formats tab. What is listed under there?

@lisagood said:
    Okay. It sounds like your PC doesn't support DTS HD MA. Or, maybe the adapter. If you go to control panel - sound - and look at the properties of the selected sound device, there should be a supported formats tab. What is listed under there?

that is what i was trying telling you, it is listed there :smile:

the adapter is a "Club3D Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 UHD"

Interesting. We are making progress. So, we know that your PC should output DTS HD MA but it won't. We know it isn't Plex as VLC behaves the same. You say that your Denon AVR definitely has support for DTS HD MA, which Denon is it? So, it looks like either the club 3d adapter or the Hdmi cable is the problem. My guess is the adapter. Does the adapter say it specifically supports DTS HD MA or just up to 8 channel audio?

@lisagood said:
    Interesting. We are making progress. So, we know that your PC should output DTS HD MA but it won't. We know it isn't Plex as VLC behaves the same. You say that your Denon AVR definitely has support for DTS HD MA, which Denon is it? So, it looks like either the club 3d adapter or the Hdmi cable is the problem. My guess is the adapter. Does the adapter say it specifically supports DTS HD MA or just up to 8 channel audio?

VLC and Plex behave the same, but only in the unchecked scenario for plex.

The receiver is a Denon X3000. The adapter just says it supports 8 channels of audio, nothing specific about the formats...

@DustSt0rm said:

@lisagood said:

VLC and Plex behave the same, but only in the unchecked scenario for plex.

The receiver is a Denon X3000. The adapter just says it supports 8 channels of audio, nothing specific about the formats...

Yep, as I said with DTS-HD MA unchecked, Plex will send multi channel PCM.

The AVR does support DTS HD MA, it could be the adapter. Try Club 3D for support?