If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Media Server Down every 10-30 minutes

richardpoynerrichardpoyner Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited April 2017 in ASUSTOR

I have an Asustor AS-604T.
Version of PMS: 1.5.5.3634.
None of the other apps i have, do not have any downtime.
I am not sure what the problem is, pls help?

Comments

• MikeG6.5MikeG6.5 Posts: 2,434Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

From my experience, this is generally caused because you haven't manually forwarded ports on your router. Most routers have a hidden "feature" where they clean up all of the dynamic open ports, if there is no activity on them. By manually forwarding the ports, they are always listening, and never get closed by the router.

You will need the manual for your router and the password to access the Web App on its firmware. Read the relevant section before you commit the changes.

• richardpoynerrichardpoyner Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 2017

@MikeG6.5 said:
    From my experience, this is generally caused because you haven't manually forwarded ports on your router. Most routers have a hidden "feature" where they clean up all of the dynamic open ports, if there is no activity on them. By manually forwarding the ports, they are always listening, and never get closed by the router.

You will need the manual for your router and the password to access the Web App on its firmware. Read the relevant section before you commit the changes.

I have portforwarded every service i have on my asustor through my asus router.
    But is there an other port than 32400 for plex?
    Do i have to forward 32401, or anything else i do not know about?

An other thing is, I do not see how the ports should crash the plex media server.
    If the ports were not forwarded then i should work locally, but the problem is that the PMS goes down entirely (every 10-30 minutes).
    I can also see that there is a problem uploading the Crash logs.

Is there anyone with a similar issue?

• MikeG6.5MikeG6.5 Posts: 2,434Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 2017

I posted some scripts on the Asustor forums that check if Plex is up and running, and if not, closes Plex down (clearing up any residuals) and then starts it again. It's been a while since I put them up. (2 or 3 years) but you should still be able to find them. Click on any of the Asustor links in my signature and then look at my posts might be the easiest way to find them.

When does Plex crash? While you are playing a media item, or when it's scanning? Or sitting idle? Do you run an app called WinSCP on your PC that you can use to log into your NAS via SSH? (About a requirement. This app should have been included on the disk, but it wasn't... It's too handy of a tool for almost anything NAS related... )

Log files would be a help, too...

@MikeG6.5 said:
    I posted some scripts on the Asustor forums that check if Plex is up and running, and if not, closes Plex down (clearing up any residuals) and then starts it again. It's been a while since I put them up. (2 or 3 years) but you should still be able to find them. Click on any of the Asustor links in my signature and then look at my posts might be the easiest way to find them.

When does Plex crash? While you are playing a media item, or when it's scanning? Or sitting idle? Do you run an app called WinSCP on your PC that you can use to log into your NAS via SSH? (About a requirement. This app should have been included on the disk, but it wasn't... It's too handy of a tool for almost anything NAS related... )

Log files would be a help, too...

I have actually written to you before in the asustor forums.
    I already have successfully added the scripts to keep plex running when down.
    I also use your scripts for my plexpy setup, thanks by the way. :)
    Plex crashes when sitting idle. I have setup uptimerobot to check when plex is down and when it is up. I can se at happens in the middle og the night, so i do not know when exactly, but it happens when there is no activity.

Yes i have the WinSCP on my PC.

Is there anything else you need from me? Im not sure if there is an other log file you can use?

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 30,414Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

It is crashing analyzing some photos

The one being processed at the time and could be the one it tripped over was

/volume1/Media/Picasa/Pictures/Google Fotos/2012-06-29/P6290083-SMILE-redigeret.jpg

Could you get all the media info / may be using Exif Viewer
    If you could provide the file - upload somewhere and send me link

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

Please do not send logs by Private Message unless specifically requested to

edited April 2017

@sa2000 said:
    It is crashing analyzing some photos

The one being processed at the time and could be the one it tripped over was

/volume1/Media/Picasa/Pictures/Google Fotos/2012-06-29/P6290083-SMILE-redigeret.jpg

Could you get all the media info / may be using Exif Viewer
    If you could provide the file - upload somewhere and send me link

hmmm.. That is weird. I do not have a path with that date.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 30,414Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

It is June 29th - the above screenshot is for March folders

This is from one of the logs

Apr 19, 2017 12:10:49.680 [0x7faf773ff700] DEBUG - Analyzing media parts for item 167144 (P6290083-SMILE-redigeret): 252752
    Apr 19, 2017 12:10:49.680 [0x7faf773ff700] DEBUG - [ID 254670] Media part analysis: /volume1/Media/Picasa/Pictures/Google Fotos/2012-06-29/P6290083-SMILE-redigeret.jpg

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

would like logs with verbose logging please for next crash

So settings / server / general / show advanced
    Enable both verbose and debug logging
    save changes
    restart
    wait for next crash
    and attach zip for all logs

@sa2000 said:
    would like logs with verbose logging please for next crash

So settings / server / general / show advanced
    Enable both verbose and debug logging
    save changes
    restart
    wait for next crash
    and attach zip for all logs

Here are the new log files.

@sa2000 said:
    It is June 29th - the above screenshot is for March folders

This is from one of the logs

Apr 19, 2017 12:10:49.680 [0x7faf773ff700] DEBUG - Analyzing media parts for item 167144 (P6290083-SMILE-redigeret): 252752
    Apr 19, 2017 12:10:49.680 [0x7faf773ff700] DEBUG - [ID 254670] Media part analysis: /volume1/Media/Picasa/Pictures/Google Fotos/2012-06-29/P6290083-SMILE-redigeret.jpg

Sorry - here is the file zipped.

I am on phone now so cannot easily check the attached - j need also verbose logging log file after crash after restart of the server

Oh sorry - you did attach earlier !!

I have raised this now with the development team,

I do not know if it is specific to this image file or a general issue
    The crashes appear to be whilst trying to add the shutter speed information to the Plex database.

@sa2000 said:

The crashes appear to be whilst trying to add the shutter speed information to the Plex database.

Thank you very much.

I have removed my photo library and everything works fine.
    I will wait adding it back.
    Thanks again.

@richardpoyner said:

@sa2000 said:

Thank you very much.

A fix for the google photos assistant images related crash has just been released in plex pass version 1.8.1 of plex media server

See release note
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1497543/#Comment_1497543