Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

4k HEVC 10bit support

orbtwin-plexorbtwin-plex Posts: 196 Plex Pass

i'm not sure if openPHT 1.8.0 is able to direct play 4k HEVC10bit?.
i have a bunch of demos files in PMS and i have to decide wich "player" will be in my new 7i3NUC Kaby Lake

i'm thinking:

• openPHT 1.8
  • PMP 1.2.3
  • Kodi 17.1 with PFK

Best Answer

Answers

• orbtwin-plexorbtwin-plex Posts: 196 Plex Pass

nobody could answer me?

• gbooker02gbooker02 Posts: 509 Plex Employee

Not that I have an answer for you, but if you have the device why not just test each of them? I expect that it's a matter of what the hardware can decode over the software player stack. So with that in mind, my guess would be that all three can if the hardware can, but test to make sure.

sorry, first of all, to re-ask twice in short time.

that's the point ... i have a Intel NUC 7i3 with 8 GB and M.S Samsung 960 EVO 256. Connected via HDMI 2.0 in a Hisense 4k HDR 55'' with Windows 10 Pro with latest "creator update" ... I mean: all hardware for sure capable to decode 4k HEVC 10 with (finally bug resolved) to passthrough HD-audio. Altough i have only a Logitech z906 DD+DTS decode capable.

I'm this days installing, cable-management and polishing things in the saloon where TV is...In near days i'll have all done.
    And i only wanted to choose "one" player" to install and DONE.
    All three players could play 4k HEVC 10 ... The i don't know thing it's the direct play. and where to check if PMS is not transcoding nothing!

I'll do, otherwise, test in a few days...

thanks!!

• daniel.culldaniel.cull Posts: 283 Plex Pass

The current version of openpht on windows wont be able to hardware decode 10bit HEVC and a i3 isnt up to the job to software decode it

sorry ... i don't understand due my english level.

do you mean i have the correct hardware to decode (i'm 99% sure of this) and it's a openPHT software limitation?
    at the moment. openPHT 1.8 (based on LibreElec 8) ??

thansk!!

Then, openPHT 1.8 in windows will be HEVC 10 4k GPU software capable when KODI based in will be capable too?
    the newer kodi 18 or so?
    i tought kodi 17.1 were capable yet