Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Why are flac files transcoding?

Prog RockerProg Rocker Members, Plex Pass Posts: 16 Plex Pass

I have a great library of MKV movies and 5.1 and 2.0 FLAC music running on a Macbook PMS and streamed to my Nvidia Shield. All the movies are direct played with DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD with no issues. BUT the 5.1 FLAC music files are transcoded to AAC. I love the metadata provided by PLEX (I have Plex Pass) but would like to get the lossless FLAC. Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

Answers

• danjames92danjames92 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,067 Plex Pass

@Prog Rocker said:
    I have a great library of MKV movies and 5.1 and 2.0 FLAC music running on a Macbook PMS and streamed to my Nvidia Shield. All the movies are direct played with DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD with no issues. BUT the 5.1 FLAC music files are transcoded to AAC. I love the metadata provided by PLEX (I have Plex Pass) but would like to get the lossless FLAC. Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

5.8.0 has a fix for this. You need to update the Plex client on shield via the Google play store.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

• Prog RockerProg Rocker Members, Plex Pass Posts: 16 Plex Pass

Well that got my hopes up but it still transcodes to AAC. I was actually already at 5.8.0.475 with PMS at 1.5.5.3634. I also tried Kodi with both the program and video PLEX plugins. The video plugin does not even play FLAC while the program seemed to play intermittently but transcoded. I verify the input to my Denon 4310ci using the menu option. It showed 48khz on a 96khz file. I took the same file and played it throug usb on my OPPO and it played at full 96khz. I hoped the Shield/PLEX would be a one stop shop. At least the goodness of PLEX for my movie collection seems pretty solid. If anyone else has any ideas I would love to try them. BTW - Rasplex messes up the channels on music. Kodi/PLEX on PI 3 works great for music but the movie HD sound needs to be converted to PCM of course. The video looks better on the Shield too. Compromises....

• danjames92danjames92 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,067 Plex Pass

Are you using HDMI to avr then hdmi to tv?

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

Yes. I just tried setting up the shield as plex server. same result. rats!

Just tried streaming from my PMS to a remote computer through a Chrome Browser. It direct played even on 96khz files. It seems to point to an issue with the Nvidia Shield PLEX client. Hopefully something that can be looked into by the PLEX gurus.

• FordGuy61FordGuy61 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 112 Plex Pass
    edited May 6

@Prog Rocker Have you tried using VLC on the Shield to play the files?

I have a Denon AVR-X4300H. I can play 24/96 FLAC 2.0 & 5.1 w/o issue. Plex Direct Plays both types. Denon display shows stereo for 2.0 and multi-channel for 5.1. Using Shield Pro (2017) with PMS v1.6.0.3698 & Plex player v5.8.0.475.

VLC on my Shield also plays the files correctly. Denon shows stereo for 2.0 and multi-channel for 5.1.

Wondering if there is an HDMI signaling issue between Shield (v2.0) and Denon (v1.3a). A miscommunication happens and the Shield does not believe your Denon can play 24/96 FLAC audio, so it transcodes to AAC.

One other thing to try is to check your power-on sequence. Make sure Denon is powered on first, then power on the Shield TV. It is a long shot, and really shouldn't matter, but it would tend to minimize any handshaking difficulties between the Shield & Denon.

Thanks for your reply. I will try the power on sequence. As of yesterday it was playing 2.0 at 96khz but 5.1 transcoded to 48khz. Just had an idea. I have turned on DLNA server in PLEX so I will check out how it plays through the OPPO Bluray player (no metadata though). I don't think there could be an HDMI issue as the connection from the shield to PLEX is ethernet so it is the shield making the request for transcoding. I have read elsewhere there are issues with the player in the shield not able to play anything over 48khz in 5.1 but can play up to 192khz 2.0.