If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

OSMC remote with RasPlex

adhawkinsadhawkins Posts: 87Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi all,

Is anyone using the OSMC remote with RasPlex? Is it compatible? Does it give sufficient control?

Looking for something with a good Wife Acceptance Factor, so was wondering if this would do the trick.

Thanks

Andy

Best Answers

Answers

• nilsvnilsv Posts: 110Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi!

For a good WAF, I'd recommend using a Chromecast, and a tablet with the Plex app. Works like a charm, when you can can live with the requirements and limitations of the Chromecast:

• Needs internet
    • No 4k support yet
    • No dts-hd yet

My configuration:

Server: PMS 1.5.5 (PlexPass) running on Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) KVM with 3 vCPU on Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400T CPU @ 2.20GHz and 2GB mem
    Main player: RasPlex 1.8 on a Raspberry Pi 2
    Additional: Google Pixel C (Android 7)), ChromeCast, OnePlus 3 (Android 7)

• adhawkinsadhawkins Posts: 87Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

@nilsv said:

• Needs internet

Sadly, one of the other requirements is that I can take the player with me, along with my WD NAS drive (with built in wireless) and be able to play stuff when I'm away from home. This means it won't easily work with a Chromecast.

Andy

• nilsvnilsv Posts: 110Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@adhawkins said:

Sadly, one of the other requirements is that I can take the player with me, along with my WD NAS drive (with built in wireless) and be able to play stuff when I'm away from home. This means it won't easily work with a Chromecast.

Ah, sure. I can't speak for OSMC remote, but in general, I really like the integration between the Plex tablet app and Rasplex, both in Remote Control as Companion Player (Play to Rasplex)

My configuration:

Server: PMS 1.5.5 (PlexPass) running on Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) KVM with 3 vCPU on Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400T CPU @ 2.20GHz and 2GB mem
    Main player: RasPlex 1.8 on a Raspberry Pi 2
    Additional: Google Pixel C (Android 7)), ChromeCast, OnePlus 3 (Android 7)

Hi,

@nilsv said:
    Ah, sure. I can't speak for OSMC remote, but in general, I really like the integration between the Plex tablet app and Rasplex, both in Remote Control as Companion Player (Play to Rasplex)

Yeah, I'm aware of the remote control via a tablet or phone app. However, I would still need some means of physically controlling the unit as a 'backup'.

Would appreciate it if anyone has any direct experience of using the OSMC remote with RasPlex.

Thanks

Andy

• videotecaCNSUvideotecaCNSU Posts: 309Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sorry I haven't used those remotes but they look cool

I just wanted to add two things. Our Raspberry Pis doesn't support 4K, and for the default configuration of rasplex you also need internet for the authentication. So have it in mind and make the necessary adjustments. You can find many manuals in this forum.

Hi,

@videotecaCNSU said:
    I just wanted to add two things. Our Raspberry Pis doesn't support 4K, and for the default configuration of rasplex you also need internet for the authentication. So have it in mind and make the necessary adjustments. You can find many manuals in this forum.

Ah, that's worth knowing. Does that mean RasPlex won't work at all if there is no internet connection available? Even temporarily?

What I envisage happening is that the RasPlex Pi will be used at home 95% of the time (with Internet access). However, occasionally I will take it with me if we're staying away somewhere, and use the WiFi in the WD NAS to play media while we're away.

Do you know if it would it work in this configuration?

Thanks

Andy

I think you need to setup Plex to accept that particular client without authentication, you can find a ton of information on some peoples projects that used 2 Pi's for building mediacenters for their cars.

I really dont know how often the internet connection its needed, for sure you need it in the first authentication but I don't know how often it checks Plex external servers after that.

Ok thanks, I guess I need to do some testing before I rely on it :)

Anyway, back to the original question, anyone successfully used an OSMC remote with RasPlex?

Thanks again

Andy

About the OSMC remote, if its passing standard keyboard inputs (play, pause, fw, back, arrow keys, home, volume, etc) it should work out of the box

I would expect it does, but ideally like to find someone that's already used it before I go ahead and buy one.

Anyone?

Andy

• trumpy81trumpy81 Posts: 9,742Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Just a suggestion, but I use a Remote Pi which allows me to turn the RPi on/off via my Logitech remote. Any Windows MCE type remote will work with it out of the box though.

It obviously works with RasPlex too and there is a setting in System Settings->Services to allow the use of the Remote Pi in order to properly shutdown RasPlex before turning off the RPi.

You can check it out here: https://www.msldigital.com/products/remotepi-board-for-pi-3

BTW, you'll need to use the Remote Pi case or you could hack any other case to fit it.

HTH

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks

Thanks Jacob and Scott, exactly what I wanted to know.

Order placed :)

Andy

Hi again,

Remote has arrived, and appears to work well. However, the 'Home' button seems to do the same as 'Back' (it goes up one level, rather than going to the top level menu as I'd expect).

Is there any way to remap the functions of the remote?

Thanks

Andy

You can probably remap it by creating a keyboard.xml

Thanks. Just trying to find an appropriate action to map it to from here. Can't see one that would be appropriate. I'd expect it to go to the top level menu.

Which action would I need?

Thanks

Andy

ActivateWindow(Home) should be the action you want

Excellent, will give that a try. Thanks.

Andy