Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Stuttering of both video playback AND user interface

BavagoBavago Members Posts: 105 ✭✭

I've been trying out OpenPHT for the first time (been using PHT until now) and I think it's a huge improvement over both PHT and PMP. I would love to keep using it but I'm having an issue with stuttering, and could really use some help. I'm using OpenPHT 1.8.0 on a 2012 MacBook Pro (El Capitan) and I output to a Panasonic Plasma using HDMI.

It isn't just an issue with video playback. The OpenPHT user interface is also jerky when scrolling or clicking through menus etc, and in both cases the stuttering seems to come in waves; about 3 seconds smooth, 3 seconds of stuttering, repeat...

I did some testing...

• Stuttering only occurs in full-screen mode AND only when the HDMI is connected to the TV. For example I can be watching a show on my laptop monitor in full-screen without issues, and as soon as I plug in the HDMI cable the video starts to stutter.
  • If running Open PHT in a window, there are no stuttering issues, whether on the laptop monitor or the TV.
  • Without HDMI connected to the TV there are no stuttering issues, even in full-screen.
  • I've tried most of the preferences (although I'm not sure what most of them do!) in "Advanced Video" such as "adjust display refresh rate", "hardware acceleration" etc without luck.
  • No issues with PHT 1.4.1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• scurtisscurtis Members, Plex Pass Posts: 196 Plex Pass

I am running the embedded version of 1.8 on an MSI Cubi (Intel Core i3, 8GB DDR3L, 64GB M2 SSD) and have a lot of interface stuttering issues. I've done a lot of settings tweaks trying to figure out the cause over the last several weeks and plan to revert back to 1.6 for now. 1.6 is rock solid.

• dlanordlanor Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,215 Plex Pass
    edited May 4

I've had some weird results too with the GUI interface stuttering or updating screen incorrectly, and for me the cure was to change the setting 'Preferences > System > Advanced > Vertical blank sync' from the original value "Always enabled" to "Enabled during video playback". But this was for a case where I had these problems only in the GUI.

For a problem that also affects playback I'd try the "Disabled" value for that setting, to see if this fixes the issue.

That last is the default value for some other embedded releases of OpenPHT, such as 'RasPlex' for the Raspberry Pi models.

• BavagoBavago Members Posts: 105 ✭✭

@dlanor said:
    I've had some weird results too with the GUI interface stuttering or updating screen incorrectly, and for me the cure was to change the setting 'Preferences > System > Advanced > Vertical blank sync' from the original value "Always enabled" to "Enabled during video playback". But this was for a case where I had these problems only in the GUI.

For a problem that also affects playback I'd try the "Disabled" value for that setting, to see if this fixes the issue.

That last is the default value for some other embedded releases of OpenPHT, such as 'RasPlex' for the Raspberry Pi models.

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I tried disabling vertical blank sync but no luck.

I discovered something interesting about this. I use my laptop in "separate display" rather than "mirrored" mode as I sometimes use my laptop monitor to do other things while Plex is playing on the TV. I noticed that the stuttering stops as soon as I start using the laptop display... in other words when Plex is no longer the currently active app. So with everything running smoothly, if I then go to the dock and click on Plex again to make it the active app, the stuttering starts up again immediately.

I'd love to figure this out because I love everything else about OpenPHT. It fixes virtually every complaint I had with the old Plex Home Theatre, plus it's great having H265 support.

• wally007wally007 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,212 Plex Pass

@dlanor said:

I"ve had to disable vertical sync always as well to get rid of the GUI stuttering.

• triremetrireme Members Posts: 45 ✭✭

If I disable vertical sync, it stops stuttering, but I get tearing instead.

PMS on QNAP TS-451+
    OpenPHT on Mac Pro 10.11.6
    Plex Andriod on Sony Bravia XBR43X830C
    Plex iOS on Apple Tv 4, iPhone SE, iPad Mini 2, iPad 3

• ViolettoVioletto Members, Plex Pass Posts: 18 Plex Pass

@trireme said:
    If I disable vertical sync, it stops stuttering, but I get tearing instead.

Yes, to disable vertical sync is not an usable workaround. This user interface stuttering issue needs a hotfix.

Tested other versions of OpenPHT.
    1.7.1 has exactly the same stuttering issue as 1.8.0.
    1.6.2 seems to have cured the issue completely, zero stuttering so far.
    So whatever the cause, it must have been introduced after 1.6.2.

• triremetrireme Members Posts: 45 ✭✭

Ya, I noticed the same thing a few hours ago... but unfortunately the Plex iOS app doesnt play nice with 1.6.2

One thing I did also notice, was it seems to mostly happen when OpenPHT is not the foreground app, like if you pull the mouse over to another monitor and select a window, exposing the MenuBar and mouse icon. Can you see if that is the same for you?

PMS on QNAP TS-451+
    OpenPHT on Mac Pro 10.11.6
    Plex Andriod on Sony Bravia XBR43X830C
    Plex iOS on Apple Tv 4, iPhone SE, iPad Mini 2, iPad 3

edited May 10

@trireme said:
    One thing I did also notice, was it seems to mostly happen when OpenPHT is not the foreground app, like if you pull the mouse over to another monitor and select a window, exposing the MenuBar and mouse icon. Can you see if that is the same for you?

Yes, I posted about that above...
    It does exactly the same thing for me; when NOT the foreground app, OpenPHT stops stuttering. Same for both 1.8.0 and 1.7.1.
    1.6.2 works fine.
    Good to know it isn't just me.

• tyhwertyhwer Members Posts: 1

Exactly the same probem here, I'm going cazy. Also trying to downgrade to 1.6.2 on Lion and it's impossible, gives an error when trying to open it. Tried reinstalling, and nothing. 1.8.0 installs and open fine.